Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Plane crashes onto A27 at Shoreham Air Show

Here's the Cessna T337G Pressurised Skymaster

300px-Cessna_337_%288735367365%29.jpg

I'm all over this one :cool:

Actually whilst I was in the Oxfam book shop in Ludlow today I was reminded about another area of aeronautical expertise that I foolishly failed to mention earlier based upon my collection of Observer's Guides Number 11 which, as most of you will know is Aircraft.

Today I got the 1974 edition for £1 in said shop so I am now an expert on planes like the Cessna T337G Pressurised Skymaster.:cool:

Here it is crowning my other areas of knowledge.

View attachment 164016

As you can see my knowledge of mid 60's aircraft is nothing short of astounding.
Helpful if you travel back through time and have to man an AA gun in an alternate timeline of the Cold War.

Helpful if you travel back through time and have to man an AA gun in an alternate timeline of the Cold War.
Yup. That's the great thing about Observer guides. They're timeless as there's always a blank page at the back to ensure that you keep things up to date. My knowledge of Lichens and Manned Spacecraft is but an arms length from my keyboard and even though I'm stuck in 1972 should I need to use spacecraft to travel back in time not much has changed for Liverworts and mosses. Railway locomotives is four volumes now, it wont be long before I'm in diesel territory. :cool:

So, now the criminal case is over, they are starting a pre-inquest review today, which should include finally setting a date for the inquest itself to start. I guess this could drag on for years, which must be very difficult for the victim's families. :(

On Monday, it is anticipated a decision will be made with regards to the scope and format of the forthcoming inquest with the final dates for the inquest being set.

While the criminal trial concentrated on the actions of Mr Hill, the coroner at the inquest can consider other wider issues that are linked to the deaths of the 11 people.

The coroner may consider, having heard the evidence, whether or not she needs to make any Regulation 28 Reports (prevention of future deaths reports) relating to the organisation and planning of future air shows.

Pre-inquest review into Shoreham air crash to begin today

They didn't set an inquest date at yesterday's pre-inquest review, instead there will be another pre-inquest review in July, with the inquest now likely to start late this year or early next!

Few points...

1 - Legal aid for the families had been refused at first, but was in the end granted just last week.

2 - The coroner was urged to enlist a jury for the inquest, after she said he was not considering enlisting a jury.

3 - The coroner did not confirm whether the pilot would have to give evidence, or if transcripts of his trial would be considered instead.

4 - The role of the Civil Aviation Authority and airshow organisers was likely to be scrutinised, but the coroner would have to take the government to court to access evidence about the crash held by the Air Accidents Investigation Branch. :hmm:

All a bit shit for the families. :mad:

Shoreham families want 'fearless' inquest

They didn't set an inquest date at yesterday's pre-inquest review, instead there will be another pre-inquest review in July, with the inquest now likely to start late this year or early next!

Few points...

1 - Legal aid for the families had been refused at first, but was in the end granted just last week.

2 - The coroner was urged to enlist a jury for the inquest, after she said he was not considering enlisting a jury.

3 - The coroner did not confirm whether the pilot would have to give evidence, or if transcripts of his trial would be considered instead.

4 - The role of the Civil Aviation Authority and airshow organisers was likely to be scrutinised, but the coroner would have to take the government to court to access evidence about the crash held by the Air Accidents Investigation Branch. :hmm:

All a bit shit for the families. :mad:

Shoreham families want 'fearless' inquest
Not so good for anyone expecting the process to do what it's supposed to

My dad used to have loads of Janes Books about aircraft. I think my mother made him get rid of them when they moved in 2002.

The inquest date has finally been set for Set. 2020, over 5 years after the crash, and there will be no jury.

Ms Schofield said she accepted the case raised "questions of great public importance".

She promised a "fearless and impartial" investigation and added: "As a coroner, I will be able to make very detailed and reasoned factual findings which will be made public.

"It is my decision that the public interest can be better served by myself sitting alone."

More than seven years on, and finally the inquest is over, with the coroner concluding the elven men were unlawfully killed, despite the fact that pilot was cleared of manslaughter by gross negligence.

Senior coroner Penelope Schofield said the plane crashing was "a result of the manner in which it was flown".

"This was not a small misjudgement," she told the inquest in Horsham, finding the pilot had two opportunities to escape the manoeuvre and prevent the crash.

"In my view, this goes beyond a mere mistake," the West Sussex coroner added.

Ms Schofield said that although she recorded a narrative verdict of unlawful killing, it did not "detract from the fact" Mr Hill was acquitted in a criminal court in 2019.

UK law firm Stewarts represented some of the families who lost loved ones in the disaster.

Partner Sarah Stewart said: "The bereaved families have waited more than seven years to reach this point and although the senior coroner's conclusion will not ease the pain of their loss, their voices have been heard."

The families, she added, said they had reached "the end of their road" in terms of legal proceedings.

The bar to a criminal conviction is very high, deliberately so with the idea being (supposedly) that it is better guilty go free than innocent get locked up (OK, stop laughing at the back!).

Perhaps this judgment will open the possibility for compo claims against the airshow's insurance..?

I am not that familiar with the case but what was another possible ruling?

Lawfully killed? Couldn't really see that as an option.

Accidental death I suppose but more like accident waiting to happen.

Last edited:
I am not that familiar with the case but what was another possible ruling?

Lawfully killed? Couldn't really see that as an option.

Accidental death I suppose but more like accident waiting to happen more like.

I guess 'accident' or 'open verdict' were the other options.

What are the verdicts in an inquest?

Possible outcomes include: natural causes; accident; suicide; unlawful or lawful killing; industrial disease and open verdicts (where there is insufficient evidence for any other verdict). Sometimes a coroner uses a longer sentence describing the circumstances of the death, which is called a narrative verdict.

Back
Top Bottom