Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Plane crashes onto A27 at Shoreham Air Show

BBC South East have just shown another video clip, which clearly shows the plane dipping. It certainly looks like he'd have carried out the loop successfully if it hadn't be for this last minute dip. Another photo shows a vapour coming from the right engine, like a fuel leak.

It's just the last few seconds where he levels out but then the plane continues going downwards (defying it's aerodynamics) that makes me think it has stalled. Of course he may have lost air speed because of mechanical failure which would help create stall conditions.

I haven't seen any evidence that it was a stall, which has a specific definition. Lack of sufficient speed to generate sufficient lift for the circumstances isn't inherently a stall any more than a controlled descent and landing is.

When a plane stops flying is a stall. As in it can't produce lift so the laws of gravity get to work.

That's the trouble with this thread (apparently) - too full of people commenting about a matter of public concern when they have little or no "domain" experience..

If only the matter had been left to those with the appropriate "domain " knowledge these foolish and inaccurate blunders wouldn't have arisen.

Of course, it would result in a short, tiresome, and utterly elitist thread, but hey ho. Some people enjoy short tiresome and elitist

I edited my post to add a bit more info.
Indeed, but it's still not a stall.

There's no stall involved in a successful loop. This would apparently have been a successful loop with another N feet of vertical space to play with, and until it was interrupted by colliding with the ground, was following the pattern of one (on the evidence I've seen anyway). This as opposed to say being in an aerodynamic spin which might not be recoverable even with a large amount of time and space.

Obvious stuff, but sufficient forward speed makes a certain amount of lift available, and that lift can be used to counter descent. If you don't have (and can't generate) enough speed to produce enough lift to counter your rate of descent in the physical space available, you crash. No stall is required.

Indeed, but it's still not a stall.

There's no stall involved in a successful loop. This would apparently have been a successful loop with another N feet of vertical space to play with, and until it was interrupted by colliding with the ground, was following the pattern of one (on the evidence I've seen anyway). This as opposed to say being in an aerodynamic spin which might not be recoverable even with a large amount of time and space.

Obvious stuff, but sufficient forward speed makes a certain amount of lift available, and that lift can be used to counter descent. If you don't have (and can't generate) enough speed to produce enough lift to counter your rate of descent in the physical space available, you crash. No stall is required.

Okay fair point.

But the stall could still occur after completing the loop when he realises he's too close to the ground and doesn't have the speed available when he increased his angle of attack was my point. If he had a bird strike or engine failure he could have been in that predicament.

Last edited:
But the stall could still occur after completing the loop when he realises he's too close to the ground and doesn't have the speed available when he increased his angle of attack was my point. If he had a bird strike he could have been in that predicament.
It's possible, but it wouldn't really matter; the point I've been making for a while is that the impact was baked-in a long way back; as Falcon pointed out, with knowledge of the available envelope being wrong, it could be have been aborted at the top of the loop, but beyond that point, in the absence of more power becoming available, you're committed to where you're going.

FWIW there's a few videos of the Eurofighter experiencing a near miss (and not in the carefully planned sense) at Fairford in 2005:

I didn't want to use that as an example because the EF aerodynamics are deeply complex and it has manoeuvrability beyond traditional flight dynamics, often involving or very close to stall itself. Nonetheless it doesn't require detailed physics to tell you that if you haven't got the means to escape your trajectory in the space available then you're going to hit, just like if you can't brake hard and fast enough in a car.

The only reason I mentioned a stall is that in the Guardian video he completes the loop and appears to remain level for a second and then the plane drops. The crash doesn't look like part of the trajectory of the loop, apart from him clearly completing the manoeuvre too close to the ground.

BBC South East have just shown another video clip, which clearly shows the plane dipping. It certainly looks like he'd have carried out the loop successfully if it hadn't be for this last minute dip. Another photo shows a vapour coming from the right engine, like a fuel leak.
It only has the one engine.

It looks normal to me but you would have to know how much thrust was expected to be available. An old prop plane doing it with hardly any power on tap would look a bit different to a modern jet that could power out more easily with more of a flared flourish (the extreme example being the EF videos). I don't expect the pilot's actual input would have changed very much - all he could do was hang on and hope for a near miss.

What could have changed to mean he ended up too close to the ground? I assume he's performed this manoeuvre previously beginning from the same altitude with the same air speed using the same angle of attack.

As planes (specifically fighter planes - normally less attraction to watch a bunch of glorified logistics planes buzzing about) become increasingly militarily outdated and irrelevant, will the airshows reduce?

It will have been manually flown. I'd be surprised if any manned display flight of any age aircraft is automated.

Not much point speculating on the root cause of the crash - so many possible factors. Historically, error of judgement has been the most common primary factor, but we don't know. The AAIB investigation - and indeed the pilot if he survives - may mean we find out, but we may never conclusively know.

Edit: G forces are a possible factor but I believe an inside loop like this isn't actually that demanding. Could be wrong.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom