Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Petition to request parliament review LTNs

Iv returned to my place after months working away and discovered that its now a sort of LTN.

The council seem to have implemented this on the cheap by putting up a few signs that say "no through traffic" or something but done nothing else

Its absolutely great, the steady flow of cars has been reduced to just a few. The air is cleaner, the noise is much less and the parking is better.

Be daft not to have one its a big improvement

Khan is a totalitarian blackmailing bastard on this occasion.
This is just how transport funding works in London: TfL via the elected mayor has oversight of city-wide transport policy, and can allocate funding to boroughs which want to implement schemes that are in line with that policy.

It's up to Tower Hamlets: if they want some funding to implement schemes that are in line with TfL transport policy, they can have it. If they don't want it they don't want it.

It actually demonstrates that individual boroughs have some power to reject elements of TfL policy. Usually if you are subject to totalitarian rule you don't get to say "no thanks".

An elected blackmailing bastard.

Indeed. Not so keen on local democracy it would seem.

It is one of those situations where I agree with Khan re emissions, but also agree with Rahman (I didn't think I would ever be typing that)wrt to local democracy.

This is just how transport funding works in London: TfL via the elected mayor has oversight of city-wide transport policy, and can allocate funding to boroughs which want to implement schemes that are in line with that policy.

It's up to Tower Hamlets: if they want some funding to implement schemes that are in line with TfL transport policy, they can have it. If they don't want it they don't want it.

It actually demonstrates that individual boroughs have some power to reject elements of TfL policy. Usually if you are subject to totalitarian rule you don't get to say "no thanks".

The ability to say 'No thanks' is more than a tad pyrrhic if it leads to funds being withheld.

Why would boroughs which choose not to implement LTNs be given funds which are there to cover the costs of implementing LTNs?

This is a ridiculous position, even for you.

Because the money could be spent ameliorating traffic pollution, by partial implementation of a LTN.

Khan is an extremist, it isn't all or nothing.

Because the money could be spent ameliorating traffic pollution, by partial implementation of a LTN.

Rahman ran on an anti-LTN ticket and has been ripping them out at midnight to avoid local protests. It’s him that’s the extremist. He has no interest in a partial solution.

Is the money give to Khan or is it given to each individual borough?
When the money is given out, what conditions have to be met.
I believe Oxford was one of the first places to implement LTN's and they have a fair few nor and there any many more around London
and the country generally. Is it not just the way of the world?

Lots of boroughs have done "partial implementations".

Or, rather, there's no fixed definition of an LTN, it's more like a genre of traffic measures, and various london boroughs have done somewhat different implementations, some very much watered down.

So there doesn't seem to have been an "all or nothing" approach so far. The extremist is Rahman, who does indeed seem to want "nothing", something that is quite easy to match with zero funding.

Back
Top Bottom