Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Petition to request parliament review LTNs

You guys are so friendly and considerate and non-judgemental

Why do you think that is?

You just came in and slapped your petition in front of us. There was no attempt in your first post to explain why we should sign, and you made no attempt to get to know the community here.

The way you have gone about it gets people's backs up

Last edited:
Why do you think that is?

You just came in and slapped your petition in front if us. There was no attempt in your first post to explain why we should sign, and you made no attempt to get to know the community here.

The way you have gone about it gets people's backs up
Sorry for getting your back up - I just posted a petition in the hope that some might sign it - was not aware it would be such a controversial post as I would have thought most would ignore it and those who were not happy with LTNs would sign it

Sorry for getting your back up - I just posted a petition in the hope that some might sign it - was not aware it would be such a controversial post as I would have thought most would ignore it and those who were not happy with LTNs would sign it
Have you done this in other places ?
How was it received ?

Just marched in and started a thread of this kind without getting a feel for the place ?
I've been a member for a while but not gotten involved - I won't be getting involved in future as it's way too hostile a forum - whatever we all believe we should be able to have debates without insults and offensive words being hurled in the direction of the person you do not agree with

Yes - very well - depends on the audience - this clearly is not a very receptive one

Being fair, there really should be clear instructions to new posters to not say anything that they wouldn’t be comfortable with shouting out loud in the middle of an Islington gastropub, but everywhere has some kind of hidden curriculum you have to pick up as you go along.

Yes - very well - depends on the audience - this clearly is not a very receptive one
If you'd done this thread a year or two ago you'd have had more people in your side here. But the thing is, we've already done all these arguments about LTNs, and in the process those people have all realised they were wrong. If you stay around long enough, you too will reach enlightenment.

If you'd done this thread a year or two ago you'd have had more people in your side here. But the thing is, we've already done all these arguments about LTNs, and in the process those people have all realised they were wrong. If you stay around long enough, you too will reach enlightenment.
I doubt I will

This is a friendly forum. Starting a thread with a petition looks dodgy because a user few (if any) people knew had shared an external link off the bat on the assumption of getting support. As per the "Editor's Arms" analogy, above, you wouldn't walk into a pub and expect immediate attention and support, the same is true here.

There is a wider discussion to be had about messageboards and forums more generally. They are the workhorses of the Internet, ancient in format and alien to a younger generation which aren't used to messages being written and formatted like this.

Pm's of support?

This is one of the most receptive sites there is. But is also known for not putting up with rude dudes blundering in without so much as an "excuse me" "hello" or getting to know the community.

You had 18 months to get a reasonable idea of the site.

Simple manners, you know?

ianarmstrong hasn't blundered in without manners, it's just that they haven't got any new arguments and are talking rubbish.

It's true that some of the responses have been a bit more aggressive than is really called for.

Back
Top Bottom