Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Petition to request parliament review LTNs

I live on one of the new LTN side streets that has an LTN filter so I can see that my road has less vehicles driving through and some people will see that as a benefit but the terraced houses (not mine) on my road sell for around £1 million so it is a road inhabited by the more affluent car owning people however I am more concerned with the negative issues that causes as the boundary road that I have to use is not so lucky as they have more traffic and pollution to deal with and the housing on that road is in general 3 or 4 or more stories high with many people who clearly have no motor vehicle and those are ironically the people that these LTNs are supposedly being created for - hence why I agree with the aim of the petition that these LTNs need to be reviewed
That's all bollocks obviously, LTNs reduce traffic by making driving inconvenient. We can tell it's working from all the whining.

What I do admire about your writing is the way every paragraph contains a single hyphen, posing as a dash, because no punctuation at all would be a step too far even for you.

I live on one of the new LTN side streets that has an LTN filter so I can see that my road has less vehicles driving through and some people will see that as a benefit but the terraced houses (not mine) on my road sell for around £1 million so it is a road inhabited by the more affluent car owning people however I am more concerned with the negative issues that causes as the boundary road that I have to use is not so lucky as they have more traffic and pollution to deal with and the housing on that road is in general 3 or 4 or more stories high with many people who clearly have no motor vehicle and those are ironically the people that these LTNs are supposedly being created for - hence why I agree with the aim of the petition that these LTNs need to be reviewed

What you having for dinner tonight ?

Is that the Rees-Mogg anti-car line?
It's more that because car ownership didn't immediately decline after the installation of some bollards, it must be some sort of gentrification. You can see tweets and posts online of claims that LTNs are so "they" can travel on "our" roads but not vice-versa. There's also this weird idea that the LTNs are created only for the people who live in them, ignoring the whole idea that it's to encourage certain types of travel. Plus the objections have always tried to come wrapped in post-hoc concern for others.

The Rees-Mogg line is just simple cars=freedom which is even less sophisticated bollocks than this.

That's what the active travel academics and councils imposing LTNs want you to think but they actually concentrate the traffic on certain residential roads which is not fare to the people who live or walk or work or go to school there - they also cause vehicles to have to drive longer distances and get caught up in increased congestion all of which is not great for the carbon footprint but then no one is monitoring that so there is no data on what LTNs do in that regard
Fuck.

Off.

Again.

Why are you unconcerned about longer-standing LTN-type interventions? Why should they not be subject to mitgations, if they have a negative impact?
The older road closures were very much smaller in scale and the impact they had was much more localised and less negative - I've seen lots of roads closed over the years which would fall into the category of an LTN-type interventions so I understand what they look like and experienced the impact they had on the local traffic flow - those are very different to the current wave of LTNs which cover a much wider area and have a much more significant impact on all sorts of things

Of course the people in the more affluent area's are not so bothered about pollution as they tend to use their cars for everything from shopping to the nanny's taking
the children to school, in cars.
I also see many more people have signed the petition in Dulwich with it's huge wide roads and pavements where pollution is less of an issue as opposed to Mitcham
where the roads are smaller and pollution is much more of an issue, where less of the locals use cars.

As already said, we need less cars on the roads.

Hey ianarmstrong it looks like you've posted (posted, not replied) nearly fifty times about this issue on Nextdoor so far this year, can you promise the same cadence here, please?
I don't intend to repost here as it seems a really unfriendly place to discuss LTNs - I will update the numbers as more people sign the petition so those who are interested can see how it is progressing

Is that the Rees-Mogg anti-car line?
It's the truth - the people living on the boundary roads that I see where I live are in general the less affluent people with no motor vehicle and the people living on the side streets that have been blocked are the more affluent people who own motor vehicles - it is sadly ironic that the people who are suffering from more traffic and pollution are the people who it is claimed that these LTNs are supposed to be helping

That's all bollocks obviously, LTNs reduce traffic by making driving inconvenient. We can tell it's working from all the whining.

What I do admire about your writing is the way every paragraph contains a single hyphen, posing as a dash, because no punctuation at all would be a step too far even for you.
If you believe all the studies from the cherry picked data sets then I can see why someone would believe LTNs are the best thing since sliced bread.

Sorry I do not write to your specific requirements.

How did I do with this reply?

It's the truth - the people living on the boundary roads that I see where I live are in general the less affluent people with no motor vehicle and the people living on the side streets that have been blocked are the more affluent people who own motor vehicles - it is sadly ironic that the people who are suffering from more traffic and pollution are the people who it is claimed that these LTNs are supposed to be helping
You will solve the problem easily by cutting down the number of cars on the streets and the number of unnecessary journeys being made.
Somewhere in the region of 60% of all car journeys are less than 2 miles; so easily walkable. Not forgetting that if you live in London
there is an abundance of cheap public transport. Only yesterday I went shopping on foot The distance was in the region of 4 miles.
It wasn't difficult, even for me.

The older road closures were very much smaller in scale and the impact they had was much more localised and less negative - I've seen lots of roads closed over the years which would fall into the category of an LTN-type interventions so I understand what they look like and experienced the impact they had on the local traffic flow - those are very different to the current wave of LTNs which cover a much wider area and have a much more significant impact on all sorts of things
So you are OK with LTN-type interventions if they are relatively small? I assume when you mean small, you mean the area enclosed by what effectively become the "boundary roads"?

Can you give any examples in the Brixton area of LTN-type interventions which are localised enough that you think they don't have negative effects?

When they are called to attend a heart attack or stroke do emergency vehicles just plough through the planters or go the long way round?
Chucking all the traffic onto a few roads is not the answer, for the point of view of a woman whose family lived near an LTN just look up Ella Adoo Kissi Debra

I ride and drive. I'm not against LTNS in principle, just the "dumb" way they are implemented in Lambeth and similar areas.

Cut the poster some slack!

The Brighton Hanover LTN Scheme is a fucking Green Administration cluster fuck. It’s a massive piss take, & has very recently had funding cut before it’s even started!!
It doesn’t give a fuck about residents. It’s based on a scheme from Walthamstow which is absolutely nothing like my area. The greens have pissed thousands up the wall with monitoring cameras when there’s only a handful of problematic streets that need addressing, like mine, which is used as a rat run after the recently completed Valley Gardens road change.

The residents of Hanover Brighton are well up for quieter streets, but the current LTN plan is not fit for purpose. Sounded great to begin with, but just another green wank fest.

for the point of view of a woman whose family lived near an LTN just look up Ella Adoo Kissi Debra
Ella Adoo-Kissi-Debrah died in 2013 and the coroner found that air pollution "made a material contribution" to her death.

Her mother campaigns against the effects of pollution and yes, she is against LTNs.

I really don't think your comment is appropriate in a discussion about schemes that have been in place for way less than ten years.

Back
Top Bottom