Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Palestine solidarity demos in the UK

I can remember when anarchists used to go on anti war demonstrations with banners saying: "No war but the Class War!" There was a big absence of anarchists at this event. I think the anarchist class struggle message is very releve t here. As we class struggle anarchists want both the Palestinian and Israeli working class to unite and fight their rulers rather than each other.
Tbh, I kind of feel like there's not much visible anarchist presence on a lot of demos nowadays.
How can Palestinian Arab workers in the Gaza Strip ally with Israeli Jews in Israel? What would be a demand that would unite them?
Well, on an immediate sense, Palestinians in the Gaza Strip who want to see a ceasefire (or a proper ceasefire that doesn't involve the cops firing tear gas at a mosque hours after the ceasefire's announced) and Israelis who want to see a ceasefire have a pretty obvious immediate common interest there. Beyond that... idk, groups like Standing Together or Koah LaOvdim would be able to answer that better than I can. I think a lot depends on the fortunes of the class struggle, like it's easy to assume a shared interest between Israeli workers and their ruling class but we shouldn't forget that the wave of uprisings around the Middle East in 2011 included a series of mass protests in Israel around housing that acted pretty explicitly as a class movement, making demands on/opposed to the Israeli state.
Obviously, there's never any guarantee that these kinds of interests will triumph over nationalism, just like there's never any guarantee that the British working class will ever stop voting the tories back in. But I don't think the population of any other country anywhere in the world is doomed to always choose nationalism, and I don't see why those living in Nablus or Tel Aviv have to be the exception to that.

A lot of anarchists I know personally, including me, have pretty much given up as British anarchism seems to be no longer interested in class struggle but has instead retreated from it. Anyway, I've already been told by twitter anarchy I'm not allowed to be an anarchist any more as my mate is in FLAF and I read the literature of the ACG. And I'm not going to get involved with demos and groups and then have to challenging the divisive antisemitism found in some parts of the Palestinian movement on my own, thanks.

Tbh, I kind of feel like there's not much visible anarchist presence on a lot of demos nowadays.

Well, on an immediate sense, Palestinians in the Gaza Strip who want to see a ceasefire (or a proper ceasefire that doesn't involve the cops firing tear gas at a mosque hours after the ceasefire's announced) and Israelis who want to see a ceasefire have a pretty obvious immediate common interest there. Beyond that... idk, groups like Standing Together or Koah LaOvdim would be able to answer that better than I can. I think a lot depends on the fortunes of the class struggle, like it's easy to assume a shared interest between Israeli workers and their ruling class but we shouldn't forget that the wave of uprisings around the Middle East in 2011 included a series of mass protests in Israel around housing that acted pretty explicitly as a class movement, making demands on/opposed to the Israeli state.
Obviously, there's never any guarantee that these kinds of interests will triumph over nationalism, just like there's never any guarantee that the British working class will ever stop voting the tories back in. But I don't think the population of any other country anywhere in the world is doomed to always choose nationalism, and I don't see why those living in Nablus or Tel Aviv have to be the exception to that.
Is not rather facile to make a comparison between the situation in Britain and in Palestine/Israel? When members of a nation are denied their rights, then it would be rather dimissive to dismiss their demands as simple "nationalism".

Is not rather facile to make a comparison between the situation in Britain and in Palestine/Israel? When members of a nation are denied their rights, then it would be rather dimissive to dismiss their demands as simple "nationalism".
Depends on the comparison being made. I think one comparison between Britain and Israel that holds up is that, when I've asked for an explanation of why people think Israelis would never be able to identify with Palestinians instead of their own ruling class, the only actual answer I've ever got is a sort of soft-third-worldist one, that Israelis benefit too much from imperialism and inequality to want to give it up. I think it's worth pursuing that line of thought/questioning, because I'm not sure that Israel is a bigger player in imperialism or benefits more from it than the UK does.
Aside from that, there is also one corner of the territory ruled over by the British state where we could maybe make a more direct comparison. I don't claim to be a great expert on the Six Counties or anything, but I reckon that, even if it's perhaps less the case now, there's definitely been times in the relatively recent past when it's been hard to imagine what Protestant and Catholic workers could have in common with each other. But I think there are still common interests there, just as there are in the even more fraught Israel-Palestine situation.

As for the other bit - as I've explained, I was thinking as much about "why Israelis might be able to identify with Palestinians rather than the national interest" as with the same question for Palestinians, if not more so. But I think it's a bit weak to just shrug off any possibility of critiquing nationalism among Palestinians as well - a people who are oppressed can react or resist in all sorts of ways, some of them more nationalistic, others less so.

One area where there may be hope in Ireland is that of religion. The Catholic Church, once a mainstay of Irish nationalism, no longer counts in the way it once did. All it takes is for Northern Prods to shrug off their fruitcake religious beliefs and a large part of the problem goes away. Not impossible. In Northern Ireland.

Marginalising religious belief in the Middle East is another thing entirely.

Oh, may not be as dramatic as Leicester, but there's this happening at the Oldham Elbit site on Tuesday:

(won't display for me cos facebook-blocker, but I trust that works)

By the way it is shame that no Palestinian protesters are not speaking out against Hamas as well. As Hamas are also an obstacle to peace in the Middle East. Before Hamas came to power progress was being made towards lasting peace under Yasser Arafats leadership.

By the way it is shame that no Palestinian protesters are not speaking out against Hamas as well. As Hamas are also an obstacle to peace in the Middle East. Before Hamas came to power progress was being made towards lasting peace under Yasser Arafats leadership.
Having an anti-Hamas/islamic fundie/antisemite message is important and perhaps that's something anarchists could maybe bring to these demos. But it should go beyond just anarchists. Certainly I feel that there seems to have been an opportunity missed with such a big turn out at these demos, especially the last one in London, with many young people attending. I feel we need to engage with these people.

Last edited:
They make air-conditioning. :thumbs:

And also:

Military - Elite KL

"Elite KL Ltd is part of the multi-domestic defense and electronics supplier, Elbit Systems with annual revenues of around $3Billion. Together with our sister company, Kinetics we offer a range of military grade products meeting relevant UK, US or European military standards. We partner with key suppliers in the market to offer complete solutions to the defense vehicle manufacturers."

One area where there may be hope in Ireland is that of religion. The Catholic Church, once a mainstay of Irish nationalism, no longer counts in the way it once did. All it takes is for Northern Prods to shrug off their fruitcake religious beliefs and a large part of the problem goes away. Not impossible. In Northern Ireland.

A large part of the reason the Catholic church no longer so central is because so many priests abused children. Because of the magdalene laundries. Quite a high price paid in ruined lives

How come 95 per cent of those marchers were arabs and other muslims? I watched that march go by in Kensington for about half an hour and did not see many other types of people there. It seemed to be almost all muslims plus a few thousand leftists.

I think you should conduct a survey of people on the march, and then a second survey of everyone who didn't go on the march as a control group, and then report your findings about this important issue.

How come 95 per cent of those marchers were arabs and other muslims? I watched that march go by in Kensington for about half an hour and did not see many other types of people there. It seemed to be almost all muslims plus a few thousand leftists.
but before you got there, and after you left 95%, of the marchers were from Hartlepool or adherents of the Hare Krishna temple.

You're talking the same kind of right wing racist bollocks as you did in the other thread where you lied through your teeth and claimed that the Football Lads Alliance was some sort of multicultural carnival. You're not going to fuck up this thread with your thinly veiled racist drivel, so you're now banned from it.

If anyone's free in London on Friday afternoon, there's a demo called at Elbit's UK headquarters then:

I trust our new anti-racist friend from the FLA will be there to ensure that there's an acceptable mix of ethnicities.

It’s not about religion - there are Palestinians who are Christians including in Gaza, it’s about a ethno-nationalist rogue nuclear state that openly flaunts international law and breaches the human rights of the people who’s land they are occupying under force: it’s obviously a lot more then that but I do think the situation is a long way from just needing the workers to rise up against the bad bosses. Perhaps this is why the anarchist movement achieve fuck all in this country

It’s not about religion - there are Palestinians who are Christians including in Gaza, it’s about a ethno-nationalist rogue nuclear state that openly flaunts international law and breaches the human rights of the people who’s land they are occupying under force: it’s obviously a lot more then that but I do think the situation is a long way from just needing the workers to rise up against the bad bosses. Perhaps this is why the anarchist movement achieve fuck all in this country
You may not agree but I think most people would accept that religion contributes substantially to the problems of much of the Middle East. (I would say it contributes to many other problems around the world as well). Fundamentalist Muslims. Zionist Jews. The Shia/Sunni divide. Christian/Muslim/Druze conflicts in Lebanon. Islamic Jihad. Persecution of Yezidis, Yasanis, Baha'i, Alevis, Assyrians etc. Religion is rarely the only cause of conflict, but in religious societies it generates fault lines which are difficult to circumvent.

You may not agree but I think most people would accept that religion contributes substantially to the problems of much of the Middle East. (I would say it contributes to many other problems around the world as well). Fundamentalist Muslims. Zionist Jews. The Shia/Sunni divide. Christian/Muslim/Druze conflicts in Lebanon. Islamic Jihad. Persecution of Yezidis, Yasanis, Baha'i, Alevis, Assyrians etc. Religion is rarely the only cause of conflict, but in religious societies it generates fault lines which are difficult to circumvent.
Many of the problems of the middle east would be far smaller if it hadn't been for things like the sykes-picot agreement or the balfour declaration. You make out it's those pesky god-botherers when the people who decided the borders, the people who created the middle east, came from Britain and France. Some conflicts in the m.e. have been to do with resources, eg the six day war arguably had its origins in a water dispute. Many posters will recall the gulf war over oil and the invasion of Iraq to complete us unfinished business. And some observers argue that the Syrian civil war was in part caused by climate change. So tbh the problems of the me stem in great part from decisions made in Washington, London and Paris. By factors outside the control of regimes in the me let alone imams or patriarchs or rabbis or the man and woman in the street.

Some conflicts in the m.e. have been to do with resources
Indeed. The CIA coup that got rid of Mossadegh in Iran was all about oil, and look what that lead to. And that's just one example.

I would say that with Israel-Palestine, settler colonization, nationalism and racism (on both sides), apartheid and the gradual and ongoing ethnic cleansing of the Palestinian people (including those that are christian) are more significant factors than religion.

Last edited:
Many of the problems of the middle east would be far smaller if it hadn't been for things like the sykes-picot agreement or the balfour declaration. You make out it's those pesky god-botherers when the people who decided the borders, the people who created the middle east, came from Britain and France. Some conflicts in the m.e. have been to do with resources, eg the six day war arguably had its origins in a water dispute. Many posters will recall the gulf war over oil and the invasion of Iraq to complete us unfinished business. And some observers argue that the Syrian civil war was in part caused by climate change. So tbh the problems of the me stem in great part from decisions made in Washington, London and Paris. By factors outside the control of regimes in the me let alone imams or patriarchs or rabbis or the man and woman in the street.
I don't disagree with you on that. I'm just making the point that the divisions caused by religion, especially the militant kind of religion too often on display in the Middle East, make the finding of solutions and common ground so much more difficult. Conflicts all over the globe are caused or aggravated by super powers, arbitrary borders, disputes about resources, and all manner of stuff. Religious divisions just make it a whole lot worse, sometimes.

I don't disagree with you on that. I'm just making the point that the divisions caused by religion, especially the militant kind of religion too often on display in the Middle East, make the finding of solutions and common ground so much more difficult. Conflicts all over the globe are caused or aggravated by super powers, arbitrary borders, disputes about resources, and all manner of stuff. Religious divisions just make it a whole lot worse, sometimes.
Not all over the world. You don't see anything like the arbitrary borders, the straight lines, of the me and africa in europe. (Altho of course all borders arbitrary, but some more than others) if the me had been able to determine its own borders rather than had them imposed after ww1 the situation wouldn't be so shit. If the us, UK etc didn't keep supporting repressive regimes or intervening the situation wouldn't be so shit. If secular movements hadn't been so comprehensively crushed in much of the me people wouldn't be turning in extremis to groups like the muslim brotherhood or daesh.

Back
Top Bottom