Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nigel Farage

Here you are.

You were pasting the Google link TO the article, rather than the link of the article itself. Been there, done that.

Farage's politics and morals are shit but when he says he is up for a fight its not hollow crap.
He has a record of standing up against groups of baying irrelevants and wannabe bullies

Farage's politics and morals are shit but when he says he is up for a fight its not hollow crap.
He has a record of standing up against groups of baying irrelevants and wannabe bullies
I think you mean he has a record of performative populist crowdpleasing bullshit. HTH. HAND.

ETA: And, FWIW, what he's doing here isn't "standing up against" anything - he's bleating about how unfairly he's been treated. It takes some leap of imagination (or wishful thinking) to transmute that into "standing up".

I think you mean he has a record of performative populist crowdpleasing bullshit. HTH. HAND.

ETA: And, FWIW, what he's doing here isn't "standing up against" anything - he's bleating about how unfairly he's been treated. It takes some leap of imagination (or wishful thinking) to transmute that into "standing up".
And yet to alot of people he comes across as authentic, human and as though he actually believes in something, compared to the likes of Sunak and Starmer (who come across as fake, cold, devoid of personality and members of the elite who just want power).

This isn't to praise Farage, it's simply reality. Personally I find the likes of Farage thoroughly vile, but alot of people don't see him that way at all.

Last edited:
And yet to alot of people he comes across as authentic, human and as though he actually believes in something, compared to the likes of Sunak and Starmer (who come across as fake, cold, devoid of personality and members of the elite who just want power).
"comes across as". Yes. He's put a lot of effort into "coming across as" authentic - not so much human, though :D

But that's the point - it's all performative. If people are taken in by him, that's down to their credulousness, not his worthier qualities.

He's shown himself throughout to be an opportunist - he espouses causes that he feels will get him support from particular demographics, and it is blindingly obvious that the causes he selects are those that appeal to the more unthinking people - almost inevitably causes that are rooted in hate. He's not interested in nuance or complexity (and I suspect he'd be capable of it, if he chose to), because it's easier to just play to the gallery and stir up hate in order to further his own ends.

There really is no need to excuse him, or be trying to rank him on some scale of unpleasantness. It doesn't matter if he's more or less unpleasant than Starmer or Sunak.
This isn't to praise Farage, it's simply reality. Personally I find the likes of Farage thoroughly vile, but alot of people don't see him that way at all.
"I come not to praise Caesar, but to bury him". Right. And we know how that ended.

There really is no need to excuse him, or be trying to rank him on some scale of unpleasantness. It doesn't matter if he's more or less unpleasant than Starmer or Sunak.
I beg to differ. I think if he's perceived by alot of people to be different to the likes of Sunak and Starmer in the way I described, then I don't think it's irrelevant. And I'm not excusing him either, I definitely consider people like Farage to be part of the problem.

Last edited:
I beg to differ. I think if he's perceived by alot of people to be different to the likes of Sunak and Starmer in the way I described, then I don't think it's irrelevant. And I'm not excusing him either, I definitely consider people like Farage to be part of the problem.
And yet... and yet... you see him as authentic and human

Tbf he’s no more or less authentic than any other politician and I despise the cunt and wish him a long life full of pain and perpetual dysentery

I think if he's perceived by alot of people to be different to the likes of Sunak and Starmer in the way I described, then I don't think it's irrelevant. And I'm not excusing him either, I definitely consider people like Farage to be part of the problem.

Yes he is. Of course, if you step back and look at it for one second what do you see? The son of a stockbroker, educated at a fee paying school, joined the conservatives whilst still at school, worked in the city as a commodities broker before going into politics etc. It doesn't get much more establishment than that does it? Certainly compared to Starmer, Farage was born into the gang. Like Trump, another 'renegade', Farage was born into priviledge and believes populism and culture issues are the most effective way to defend it.

Liberals and some on the left often mistake Farage (and Trump) as the problem. In fact, both are merely morbid sympoms of a deeper structual crisis problem. Wages, inequality, housing, public services, health. Everywhere people look everything is shit .

The Labour movement, as once constitued, is dead. Defeated by Thatcher and its own timidity. What passes for the left it is consumed by peripheral culture issues. Labour and Tory are united in a defence of the system of the last 45 years.

In those circumstances, you can see why people might think the answer/the alternative is Farage. The question isn't what we do about him, the question is what we do about the sympoms that have produced him and are also producing similar figures across Europe and elsewhere. Put another way, what should be energising us is how to come up with a better, more compelling explanation for the problems people face than Farage has and some concrete ideas as to how they might be addressed.

In opposition, the Tories are almost certain to rebrand as Farage type 'new conservatives' pledged to win the culture war and crack down on various spectres conjured up to explain why everything is shit. What you won't hear is one word about is political economy (from either side of the culture war, the Tories, Labour, Farage ) and whether or not that might explain the malaise better than boats/trans/the unemployed/whatever etc.

Last edited:
Yes he is. Of course, if you step back and look at it for one second what do you see? The son of a stockbroker, educated at a fee paying school, joined the conservatives whilst still at school, worked in the city as a commodities broker before going into politics etc. It doesn't get much more establishment than that does it? Certainly compared to Starmer, Farage was born into the gang. Like Trump, another 'renegade', Farage was born into priviledge and believes populism and culture issues are the most effective way to defend it.

Liberals and some on the left often mistake Farage (and Trump) as the problem. In fact, both are merely morbid sympoms of a deeper structual crisis problem. Wages, inequality, housing, public services, health. Everywhere people look everything is shit .

The Labour movement, as once constitued, is dead. Defeated by Thatcher and its own timidity. What passes for the left it is consumed by peripheral culture issues. Labour and Tory are united in a defence of the system of the last 45 years.

In those circumstances, you can see why people might think the answer/the alternative is Farage. The question isn't what we do about him, the question is what we do about the sympoms that have produced him and are also producing similar figures across Europe and elsewhere. Put another way, what should be energising us is how to come up with a better, more compelling explanation for the problems people face than Farage has and some concrete ideas as to how they might be addressed.

In opposition, the Tories are almost certain to rebrand as Farage type 'new conservatives' pledged to win the culture war and crack down on various spectres conjured up to explain why everything is shit. What you won't hear is one word about is political economy (from either side of the culture war, the Tories, Labour, Farage ) and whether or not that might explain the malaise better than boats/trans/the unemployed/whatever etc.
Alot of what you say here rings true IMO. I also wouldn't be surprised if Farage gets more popular in time tbh.

Last edited:
Alot of what you say here is true IMO. I also wouldn't be surprised if Farage gets more popular in time tbh.

He will become more popular. The incoming Labour government will prepare the ground for that as it quickly becomes apparent that they are essentially the Tories but with aspirations to better technocratic management.

The problem for Farage will be the same as the problem he had with Brexit: he can explain what’s wrong/what he doesn’t like convincingly. He’s much weaker when it comes to explaining what he’d do to fix matters.

That’s because, as we’ve discussed above, he’s essentially as invested in preserving the current political economy as Sunak and Starmer. Like Trump he speaks for a certain segment of capital and when both are forced to set out a programme their limitations become very apparent to erstwhile supporters. There is no popular support for the neo conservative dog wagging the popular cultural tail

He will become more popular. The incoming Labour government will prepare the ground for that as it quickly becomes apparent that they are essentially the Tories but with aspirations to better technocratic management.

The problem for Farage will be the same as the problem he had with Brexit: he can explain what’s wrong/what he doesn’t like convincingly. He’s much weaker when it comes to explaining what he’d do to fix matters.

That’s because, as we’ve discussed above, he’s essentially as invested in preserving the current political economy as Sunak and Starmer. Like Trump he speaks for a certain segment of capital and when both are forced to set out a programme their limitations become very apparent to erstwhile supporters. There is no popular support for the neo conservative dog wagging the popular cultural tail
Yeah, I get what you mean. The way I see it though, they are all just different segments of capital anyway really and always have been. And that includes the left.

Last edited:
Don’t even joke about it. :(
That's the thing... it used to be a joke, but the political landscape has changed so much (not just in your country) it feels that anything (previously dismissed) is possible.

Farage is never out of the limelight, he's a grifter extraordinaire and have no doubt if the gig was in reach, he'd be up for it.

And ... there would be no resistance, apart from a few worthy comrades blaming it all on the liberals.

NatWest review finds no political discrimination in Coutts account closures

NatWest has said a review into closures of Coutts' customer accounts found "no evidence of discrimination" in relation to people's political views. It looked at 84 account closures after NatWest admitted serious failings in its treatment of Nigel Farage. The closure of the former UKIP leader's account sparked debate over whether banks acted against customers due to their political leanings.

A future PM, perhaps.

That's the thing... it used to be a joke, but the political landscape has changed so much (not just in your country) it feels that anything (previously dismissed) is possible.

Farage is never out of the limelight, he's a grifter extraordinaire and have no doubt if the gig was in reach, he'd be up for it.

And ... there would be no resistance, apart from a few worthy comrades blaming it all on the liberals.

The idea that Farage could ever be PM, or even that he actually wants to be PM, is complete nonsense.

It's the sort of thing that could only be seriously suggested by someone posting from half way round the world, with no grasp of the most basic realities of British politics, so it's little surprise to see you suggesting it.

Back
Top Bottom