Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Newcastle United 2021/22

There are months of wild speculation ahead :D

The only collection of people more fanciful than Toon fans are the hordes of feckless journalists who now have months of free copy leaning heavily on the word "rumoured". They can type in any old, made-up shit, and score bylines and bonuses.

As the quotation goes: "You cannot hope to bribe or twist, thank God! the British journalist. But, seeing what the man will do unbribed, there's no occasion to."

Newcastle United are in the picture for Borussia Dortmund striker Erling Braut Haaland, with the 21-year-old Norway international also wanted by Real Madrid, Manchester City and Paris St-Germain. (AS, via Sport Witness)

Newcastle have a planned budget of just £50m for the first window under their Saudi Arabian owners. (Sunday Telegraph)

Safe to say that the first is fantasy island but the second is a sizable budget. Would also expect some loan deals with options to buy more than anything else.

Yep, I'd expect a great deal more sophistication in the scouting / buying / sporting director operation.

Old Penrose has the business acumen of a whelk.
In all of the transfer speculation its easy to forget that investing in a decent Director of Football or some other similar role , scouting and youth development are equally as important. Chelsea had Michael Emenalo who established a thriving academy system which laid the foundations for what has been a very successful income stream and eventually top class entry into the first team squad . City appointed Txiki Begiristain who had been at Barcelona whose scouting network has been very good.

I would hold on to Bruce until a director of football is appointed. Then get the DoF to get involved with the appointment of a manager and the long term plans/direction for the club.

Moneyball clubs...

Blackburn
1990 investment arrived
1992 promoted to PL
1996 PL title

Chelsea
2003 investment arrived
2005 PL title
2012 CL (?)

Man City
2008 investment arrived
2011 FA Cup
2012 PL title
N/A CL

PSG
2011 investment arrived
2013 League title
N/A CL

Blackburn and Chelsea had little 'financial' competition at time of investment. Chelsea got the PL title in 2 years but were already a top half side.

City took 4 years to win a PL title and are still waiting for a CL title 13 years on.

PSG won a farmers league in 2 years and are still waiting for a CL title 10 years on.

Newcastle are the richest club in the PL. However their buying power and draw is little different (if at all) from Chelsea, City or PSG.

Also (sorry to say) Newcastle as a location is not a big draw for top players in London, Manchester, Paris, Spain or Italy.

Also who will get the manager job? Rogers has all but ruled it out. Gerrard unlikely to ditch mid season and he has other long term aims. Conte is possible but unlikely. If Newcastle had a Guardiola or Klopp that is a draw for players but no chance there at all.

Going to be interesting how it all pans out :)

Last edited:
Moneyball clubs...

Blackburn
1990 investment arrived
1992 promoted to PL
1996 PL title

Chelsea
2003 investment arrived
2005 PL title
2012 CL (?)

Man City
2008 investment arrived
2011 FA Cup
2012 PL title
N/A CL

PSG
2011 investment arrived
2013 League title
N/A CL

Blackburn and Chelsea had little 'financial' competition at time of investment. Chelsea got the PL title in 2 years but were already a top half side.

City took 4 years to win a PL title and are still waiting for a CL title 13 years on.

PSG won a farmers league in 2 years and are still waiting for a CL title 10 years on.

Newcastle are the richest club in the PL. However their buying power and draw is little different (if at all) from Chelsea, City or PSG.

Also (sorry to say) Newcastle as a location is not a big draw for top players in London, Manchester, Paris, Spain or Italy.

Also who will get the manager job? Rogers has all but ruled it out. Gerrard unlikely to ditch mid season and he has other long term aims. Conte is possible but unlikely. If Newcastle had a Guardiola or Klopp that is a draw for players but no chance there at all.

Going to be interesting how it all pans out :)
Wouldn’t rate too highly the issue of Newcastle as a location tbh . The North East certainly wasn’t a problem for Ravenelli, Juninho, Emerson at Middlesbrough and Newcastle had a fair old team under Keegan despite location issues. A manager with an international reputation would help.

Presumably head of the FA Prince William (don't know how he got that gig, must have something more to offer than lowly mortal plebs) was in agreement about how this is what a royal family should be about.

Tbh, it wouldn't make much sense to get rid of Bruce less than a week after taking over, would it? Unless they got very lucky, finding a worthwhile candidate is going to take longer than that, especially with most of the big candidates already gainfully and relatively happily employed elsewhere (although "everyone has their price", etc...).

Don't envy Bruce, though, can't be a fun position to be in.

Twist

According to one report three candidates had discussions last week behind the scenes, Eddie Howe, Paula Fonseca and Lucien Favre.

Ah, ok then... :hmm: :oops: :D

BBC report.

The 60-year-old took charge of his 1,000th match as a manager in Sunday's 3-2 defeat by Tottenham - his only game as Magpies boss under the new owners.

Bruce said: "I think this might be my last job.

"It's not just about me; it's taken its toll on my whole family because they are all Geordies and I can't ignore that.

"They have been worried about me… especially my wife Jan.

"I'm 60 years old and I don't know if I want to put her through it again. We've got a good life so, yeah, this will probably be me done as a manager - until I get a phone call from a chairman somewhere asking if I can give them a hand. Never say never, I've learnt that."

He added: "I wanted so badly to make it work.
:(

Back
Top Bottom