Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Newcastle United 2021/22

Newcastle United's new owners will place Graeme Jones in charge against Tottenham next weekend in the club's first game since the Saudi-backed £305million takeover

Steve Bruce could be let go by Newcastle United in the coming weeks, as the club's new owners look to implement a raft of changes.

While it remains to be seen who will eventually replace the former Birmingham City and Sunderland boss, the early bookmakers favourite is Steven Gerrard, who could be in line for a spectacular Premier League return.

:hmm:

Change of sponsor?

There was already a question mark raised over betting sponsors:

It will be interesting to see what happens regards sponsorship etc over the coming months.

A good example is Nike pulling products from Israel:

Any brand who sponsors Newcastle will get a backlash. I would assume that there are some global businesses that don't care enough or have aims to trade with Saudi Arabia :hmm:

This is an impressively contorted bit of optimism:

Would make a great heartwarming Hollywood film, bin Salman travels to Newcastle and learns an important lesson about equality and LGBTQ rights from one magical night down the Bigg Market.

245270435_4458040227605717_5330548737874499678_n.jpg

Tbh, it wouldn't make much sense to get rid of Bruce less than a week after taking over, would it? Unless they got very lucky, finding a worthwhile candidate is going to take longer than that, especially with most of the big candidates already gainfully and relatively happily employed elsewhere (although "everyone has their price", etc...).

Don't envy Bruce, though, can't be a fun position to be in.

Tbh, it wouldn't make much sense to get rid of Bruce less than a week after taking over, would it? Unless they got very lucky, finding a worthwhile candidate is going to take longer than that, especially with most of the big candidates already gainfully and relatively happily employed elsewhere (although "everyone has their price", etc...).

Don't envy Bruce, though, can't be a fun position to be in.
There are some worthwhile candidates now who are available around ie Conte, Rangnick, also Lampard, at a touch Neil Lennon. However despite what ever signings that may come in January Newcastle are winless and in a relegation fight now. The issue for the board is whether Bruce is up for that and then use that time to appoint or whether to risk offering a new manager a fairly difficult and unappealing situation of a relegation fight/or promotion next season.

There are some worthwhile candidates now who are available around ie Conte, Rangnick, also Lampard, at a touch Neil Lennon.
Dunno how many of those would be considered big or exciting enough for a megabucks ownership, though?

Fair point about their current predicament, though; may well be that any likely candidates would want to come in at the end of the season to 'rebuild', rather than in the middle of a dogfight.

That being said, fans already wanted Bruce out, how long will they tolerate him staying with Saudi cash in the club pockets?

Dunno how many of those would be considered big or exciting enough for a megabucks ownership, though?

Fair point about their current predicament, though; may well be that any likely candidates would want to come in at the end of the season to 'rebuild', rather than in the middle of a dogfight.

That being said, fans already wanted Bruce out, how long will they tolerate him staying with Saudi cash in the club pockets?
Funny situation tbh on one hand richest club in the world with potential to be a real contender. But how long will that take ? My guess is four years minimum tbh .
Different from the Chelsea takeover where Chelsea finished fourth the season before and were already in the CL. Different from City who already had had a wealthy owner and finished top half in the season before.

So starting from a far lower base with the same high expectations. Going to take a manager who can coach more than a buying by numbers approach in my view . Probably someone who can handle the inevitable big egos on massive wages as well. I suspect that we will see a few manager changes before they win anything .

Funny situation tbh on one hand richest club in the world with potential to be a real contender. But how long will that take ? My guess is four years minimum tbh .
Different from the Chelsea takeover where Chelsea finished fourth the season before and were already in the CL. Different from City who already had had a wealthy owner and finished top half in the season before.

So starting from a far lower base with the same high expectations. Going to take a manager who can coach more than a buying by numbers approach in my view . Probably someone who can handle the inevitable big egos on massive wages as well. I suspect that we will see a few manager changes before they win anything .
Aye, though somewhat similar to Man City; prior to the takeover in 2008 they'd finished between 8th-16th in the six seasons since getting back into the Prem in 2002.

Meanwhile, Newcastle have four Prem seasons under their belt since returning in 2017, finishing between 10th-13th.

Back
Top Bottom