Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Murder of Lyra McKee in Londonderry, Apr 18, 2019

likesfish

You can't park here sir
It's 17 years since a journalist was killed in NI, IIRC.

In that case - again, if I recall correctly - the victim was targeted. I can't work out, yet, if that's what happened here. Does anyone know more?

This is her final tweet.....posted shortly before she was hit in the head by a bullet. Apparently she was stood behind the police trying to report on events. ....there had been petrol bombs thrown earlier.
Screenshot_20190419-123414_Chrome.jpg

About the best article I've ever read on the legacy that the troubles has had on even those who were born after the peace agreement.

She was someone who tried to understand people and it's clear that she did so in a very non judgemental way. She observed and wrote....but she also felt deeply.

Saddened to tears that such a person is gone :(

I heard a friend of her's talking on the radio this morning about it (they were meant to be meeting up later today).
Very sad.

Lyra McKee killing: CCTV shows slain journalist and suspected gunman

Lyra McKee killing: CCTV shows slain journalist and suspected gunman

"Det Supt Jason Murphy said CCTV footage released to the media shows the slain journalist in the crowd and the suspected gunman at the corner. An individual is also shown picking up something from the ground at the same location".

They released CCTV footage last night. It's in the article above. If anyone knew the two men at that corner they'd recognise them in that footage.

It's even more stupid they used a handgun unless you spend every day on the range your chances of hitting anything your aiming over more than 10 metres is negligible bullet with still be lethal for several 100more metres :(.
So incompetence and reckless.

Because you probably didn't think the shooting made that point already?
I'm glad to see that some posters are still playing the one-upmanship game on here :D

~

on a different note.

The political situation regarding NI has hit the headlines with force since the border has once again become an issue. Now a rise in tension. Is there a provable causal link or am I being naive?

...The political situation regarding NI has hit the headlines with force since the border has once again become an issue. Now a rise in tension. Is there a provable causal link or am I being naive?
There's a large (documented) increase in hate crimes in the brexit era. This, to me, is a natural extension of that.

It's even more stupid they used a handgun unless you spend every day on the range your chances of hitting anything your aiming over more than 10 metres is negligible bullet with still be lethal for several 100more metres :(.
So incompetence and reckless.
Especially firing at an armoured PSNI Land Rover. You could shoot at them from a handgun all day and they would just sit static, observing what's going on. There's a video doing the rounds from Thursday night where one accidentally rests on top of the contents of a petrol bomb for several minutes without realising. The tyres take it, the fuel tank doesn't explode, I presume the cops realise that they are a bit hot and they reverse back and the flames then leap up.

Shooting a gun like that was never going to cause any harm to the police and only had the potential to hit civilians. Which it did.

Someone sent me this analysis of the murder, which is very thorough.

An Open Source Survey of the Shooting of Lyra McKee - bellingcat

they probably intended to hit the side of the landrover look cool to their little friends:facepalm: and get away their now going down for murder you don't get to plead manslaughter when your terrorist cosplay ends up costing someone their life:mad:.
the troubles was stupid the attempted reboot is making UKIP voters look smart:(

I can't be bothered to go and find the tweet, but someone on that hellsite claimed that this "New IRA" were trying to muscle into Newry, and campaigning on things like benefits etc., a point where the Shinner austerity administrators must be fairly vulnerable.

Has anyone else heard that one? Does this NIRA even have a political wing? "One who can read, one who can write, and a third one to keep an eye on the two dangerous intellectuals".

I can't be bothered to go and find the tweet, but someone on that hellsite claimed that this "New IRA" were trying to muscle into Newry, and campaigning on things like benefits etc., a point where the Shinner austerity administrators must be fairly vulnerable.

Has anyone else heard that one? Does this NIRA even have a political wing? "One who can read, one who can write, and a third one to keep an eye on the two dangerous intellectuals".

Saoradh would be considered the political wing of this group. They have (or perhaps had as the case may be now) quite strong support in the working class estates of Newry. Plenty of posters and flags and people out going around doors, so yeh a big visible presence there. A lot of grassroots Republicans are sick of Sinn Fein and with good reason, just doesn’t seem to be a viable alternative to them that doesn’t have the ‘dissident’ element attached.

Saoradh would be considered the political wing of this group. They have (or perhaps had as the case may be now) quite strong support in the working class estates of Newry. Plenty of posters and flags and people out going around doors, so yeh a big visible presence there. A lot of grassroots Republicans are sick of Sinn Fein and with good reason, just doesn’t seem to be a viable alternative to them that doesn’t have the ‘dissident’ element attached.
This idiocy should lop off some of that support. Or so one would hope.

And then there's the fact that it's Newry - didn't the Provies basically run the place in the 70s?

This idiocy should lop off some of that support. Or so one would hope.

And then there's the fact that it's Newry - didn't the Provies basically run the place in the 70s?

Yeh you would hope so but I don’t think it’ll be the end. I mean the Omagh Bombing killed 29 people and whilst that did stop it for a bit they were back bombing England 2 years later. So I suspect there’ll be a cooling off period, maybe even a token ceasefire but there’ll always be people out there who will take a militant approach.

The stickies were big in Newry too, certainly more so than other towns who mainly just moved over to the Provos en masse by the mid-70s.

Back
Top Bottom