Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Monkeypox - news and discussion

It’s already being given to those who need it.

Given the last couple of years, I would have thought that we'd learnt the lesson that viruses don't give a shit about what mandarins and bureaucrats define as "necessary". Care workers who aren't raddled with an infectious disease that they can pass onto their charges? An unaffordable luxury, according to them.

Monkeypox is not the same as coronavirus so don’t expect the use of vaccines to be the same. It is being given to men who have multiple sex partners / group sex participants at the moment. Which is generally the group of people who are getting the disease.

Monkeypox is not the same as coronavirus so don’t expect the use of vaccines to be the same. It is being given to men who have multiple sex partners / group sex participants at the moment. Which is generally the group of people who are getting the disease.
OK, that ain't me then.

A major global health crisis seems like a good time for us to have an ersatz government of barrell-scrapings and a prime minister with no motivation to do anything besides fuck things up to make life difficult for his successor.

So uhhh... monkeypox vaccine when?
had mine on Weds. first dose anyway. apparently need a second in ~28 days.

it's a bit surreal watching this play out, in comparison to the covid vaccine scheme.
after coverage of the vague PHE announcement that a roll out was happening, have pretty much seen nothing in the news. didn't get any email or message from the STD clinic about it. a booking page just appeared online and the link spread by word of mouth.
much sitting for a couple days refreshing that with no indication when it'd properly open, then lots of frantic WhatsApp messages to tell everyone you know to get booked before it's too late when the available appointments were added.

obviously showing all sold out now. but for info mentions the precise criteria being used. more specific than "at risk MSM" that was mentioned before. it is of course an honesty system.

Only sexually active gay and bisexual men who have sex with men who ALSO meet one or more of the criteria listed to the right are eligible for vaccine.
  • Gonorrhoea, chlamydia or syphilis diagnosed in the last 3 months OR
  • More than 5 sexual partners in the last 3 months OR
  • Group sex in the last 3 months OR
  • Sex in a sex on premises venue (e.g. sex club, sauna) in the last 3 months OR
  • Advanced HIV (CD4 count below 200 or detectable viral load)

I heard the panel of experts at the who voted no to declaring it as such, but Dr Tedros overruled them.
They were split, 9 against and 6 for.

This setup and decisions made by it have been criticised before, for being to slow or facing too complex a balancing act of competing considerations. So Im not surprised Tedros wanted to err on the side of trying to be proactive and not let the WHO fall too far behind the curve this time.

A more nuanced system is probably needed in future but global politics and health regulations are involved so it gets messy, eg when there are economic and travel implications, and the risk of countries using emergency medical rules as crude weapons in disputes with particular neighbours etc.

had mine on Weds. first dose anyway. apparently need a second in ~28 days.

it's a bit surreal watching this play out, in comparison to the covid vaccine scheme.
after coverage of the vague PHE announcement that a roll out was happening, have pretty much seen nothing in the news. didn't get any email or message from the STD clinic about it. a booking page just appeared online and the link spread by word of mouth.
much sitting for a couple days refreshing that with no indication when it'd properly open, then lots of frantic WhatsApp messages to tell everyone you know to get booked before it's too late when the available appointments were added.

obviously showing all sold out now. but for info mentions the precise criteria being used. more specific than "at risk MSM" that was mentioned before. it is of course an honesty system.
Seems pretty crap that there are no vaccines available now. Worrying times.

paywall busting link for that FT article.

this from Politico also interesting.

seems like things are really struggling. everywhere :(
UK has ordered 150k doses, but 100k of those not arriving until September.
Guys hospital were doing walk-ins at weekends, but have had to close that due to overwhelming queues. now it's appointment only there (as was always everywhere else).

France has more doses it seems. officially government says it's for residents only, but (at least some of) the clinics ain't checking. so people going from all over Europe.

This is such a shitshow! I don't fancy relying on a vaccine I received 56 years ago, but there seems no way to get a new vaccination for the foreseeable future. After two years away from the scene due to Covid, I was really hoping to get back out again and resume 'playing away'. :(

This is such a shitshow! I don't fancy relying on a vaccine I received 56 years ago, but there seems no way to get a new vaccination for the foreseeable future. After two years away from the scene due to Covid, I was really hoping to get back out again and resume 'playing away'. :(
might not be much comfort but a vaccine received 56 years ago is a damn sight better than no vaccine at all…

Back
Top Bottom