Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Michael Buerk "Let fat people die to save the NHS money "

Michael Buerk claims Radio 4's 'increasingly woke' with freedom of speech 'under threat'​

Dec 2, 2021

Think he's right that R4 and other bits of the Beeb should stop 'yearning hopelessly to connect with yoof'.
In my much younger days, me and my cohorts who listened to R4 did so precisely because it wasn't trying to draw us in with trendiness or relevance to what it thought our concerns were.

Plymouth, Lundy, Fastnet etc...

Think he's right that R4 and other bits of the Beeb should stop 'yearning hopelessly to connect with yoof'.
In my much younger days, me and my cohorts who listened to R4 did so precisely because it wasn't trying to draw us in with trendiness or relevance to what it thought our concerns were.

I've grown OUT of the BBC.
I don't know if I used to be an old fogey when I was younger or just that they were simpler times and there was no Internet ...

They used to be authoritative. Today they took down a news story about one of their TV programmes (today also removed from the schedules) about a young guy who made millions from crypto. Turns out he was a scammer, which they hadn't managed to work out until everyone told them on Twitter this morning:

Budget cuts, staff being spread too thin, the pace of the news agenda, a new generation schooled in the priorities of half-arsed Britain taking the wheel. But also, the abundance of (and easy access to) information from other sources which offers a far larger section of the public the opportunity to fact-check the BBCs output. I will not a shed a tear for their authority being undermined.

I am interested enough in discussion programs that I often have the radio on while the Moral Maze is on, I sort of hear the start of it but then am distracted by what else I was doing and before long it is over and I didn't really hear any of it.

Sometimes I try to stop doing what I was doing to actually listen to it .. but I can never keep it up and always find something else to distract myself with so again not listening to it.

It might in part be the format that just doesn't grab me, I don't know, anyhow for me it is un-listenable!

Is being woke - informed about historical and institutional injustices - trendy?

Back
Top Bottom