Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lab grown meat...erm really?

I think it's a good idea...I just wonder what else they might be able to add to it if this is the sort of thing they're capable of.

Mercola is a quack, and nobody should pretend that fact has no impact on the editorial line of his website. If a news item from that website gets anything right then I'd put that down to the "stopped clock" principle.

I'm getting "uppity" because Mercola promotes dangerous bullshit that leads to the injury and death of people who would have otherwise sought out treatments that actually *work*.

If you're not familiar with Mercola or his website, then you might not know that. If you posted the link because you're a regular reader... Then I strongly recommend that you find a different website to get news from.
Apologies, I didn't know he was such a cunt.

Apologies, I didn't know he was such a cunt.

That's fine. That's not to say that there are no concerns. Lately especially it seems that quality control is becoming a bit of an issue due to the neoliberal penchant for cutting government oversight down to the bone. There's no reason to believe that grown meat will be exceptional in this regard, so there should be no letting up on political pressure.

I'm completely against it. It's an absurd concept. And it will be corporate. It's a further stick to beat small-scale farmers with. This is not what we should be doing as a species to satisfy our capricious whims. Eat less fucking meat.

Who do you think produces all our veg?
Well apparently there are still farmer's markets in this country, but personally I've never used them, and I hardly think that I'm alone in that.

But even farmer's markets are ultimately still, well, markets. With all that entails!

I have been a few times to my local one and I have no problems with them, I hope they keep going. My aim was more at the big corporate agri-businesses that are becoming increasingly dominant.

Who do you think produces all our veg?

I'm all for getting the private sector out of our food production but that is done by nationalising it rather than telling people to eat less.

We aren't quite there yet thank God. It's true to a fair extent but there are still a good number of individual farmers. Food sovereignty is important.

If your anywhere near Manchester for example my other half grows a fair bit and sells it and sources everything else she sells from other growers in the NW. :)

Small farmers will sell expensive meat to middle class folk. This is food for the proles.
Why do the "proles" have to eat meat? How much eat did people eat 100 years ago compared to today? Is it justifiable to grow it in labs to maintain our bloated consumption? It's, I repeat, absurd. Growing organic tissue to satisfy a first world whim, that is, the necessity of eating meat.

Why do the "proles" have to eat meat? How much eat did people eat 100 years ago compared to today? Is it justifiable to grow it in labs to maintain our bloated consumption? It's, I repeat, absurd. Growing organic tissue to satisfy a first world whim, that is, the necessity of eating meat.

I'm not actually sure what the ethical issue is here. Why shouldn't we grow it to satisfy demands? Yes it will be made by big corporations, but not necessarily at the expense of a small farmers.

As in this stuff will give you cancer?

Its not that unlikely a reaction. GM crops are already widely distrusted (rightly or wrongly) in this country. Messing around with food (for want of a better phrase) has a bit of a reputation, to put it mildly. Law of unintended consequences and all that.

Its not that unlikely a reaction. GM crops are already widely distrusted (rightly or wrongly) in this country. Messing around with food (for want of a better phrase) has a bit of a reputation, to put it mildly. Law of unintended consequences and all that.
This is a far cry from GM crops in terms of production process. Which isn't to say that parts of the public won't elide the two.

Even if it only gives you cancer as much as naturally-raised meat, that's still a legally dubious product to be selling.

Personally I think it's going to be a very tricky sell without something significant happening.

Even if it only gives you cancer as much as naturally-raised meat, that's still a legally dubious product to be selling.
According to the link in op they're also trying to grow white meat, which isn't carcinogenic. Would you object to that too?

Might be, might not. No one knows at this stage.
Well, quite. Hence my pessimism tuned by 20 years of looking at claims for asbestos, lead paint, thalidomide, benzene, silica, vibration white finger, toxic mould, noise induced hearing loss, dalton shield, byssinosis, myodil, RSI and all the rest that don't spring immediately to mind.

Back
Top Bottom