Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

xinjiang, prc lab for repression

India is also full of economic problems. Look at the stats for how many people have out of poverty in China since 1990 - its hundreds of millions of people. India has nowhere near the same seismic economic transformation, and is unlikely to soon.

It's not as many as China, but it's about 300 million raised out of poverty in India in the last decade. Every household in India has access to electricity as of this month. Extreme poverty is expected to be eliminated by 2030.

FDI is now flowing into India as it leaves China, and they are working with Japan to develop high speed rail and other infrastructure. They also have an advantage in avoiding the middle income trap - China is struggling to transition from an export orientated economy to one based on services, while India is going a totally different route of going straight to a service economy.

Reactions: tim
China Targets Prominent Uighur Intellectuals to Erase an Ethnic Identity

" "My father is very smart; he knows what is the red line, and if you cross it you are taken to jail,” said his son, Bahram Sintash, who now lives in Virginia. “You work very close to the red line to teach people the culture. You have to be smart and careful with your words.”

Then last year, the red line moved. Suddenly, Mr. Mamut and more than a hundred other Uighur intellectuals who had successfully navigated the worlds of academia, art and journalism became the latest targets of a sweeping crackdown in the region of Xinjiang that has ensnared as many as one million Muslims in indoctrination camps."

https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2019/02/07/reeducating-xinjiangs-muslims/

In February 2018 a Uighur activist media outlet in Turkey released a document it says was leaked by a “believable member of the security services on the ground” in Xinjiang. The document, dating from late 2017 or early 2018, tabulates precise numbers of internees in county-level detention centers, amounting to 892,329 (it excluded municipal-level administrative units, notably the large cities of Urumqi, Khotan, and Yining). Though the document’s provenance cannot be confirmed, if genuine it supports the estimates of a million or more total internees. (The US State Department estimates that between 800,000 and two million Xinjiang Muslims are interned in the camps.) These estimates do not include the rapidly increasing numbers of people in ordinary prisons: according to PRC government data, criminal arrests in Xinjiang increased by 200,000 between 2016 and 2017, and amounted to 21 percent of total arrests in China in 2017, even though Xinjiang has only 1.5 percent of China’s population. It is believed that the PRC has so far locked up over 10 percent of the adult Muslim population of Xinjiang.

https://www. ft.com/content/fd087484-2f23-11e9-8744-e7016697f225 (paywalled) Outline - Read & annotate without distractions
Inside China’s crackdown on young Marxists
February 14, 2019
Luke, an undergraduate student at one of China’s elite universities, recalls the day he became a committed Marxist. It was not in the countless hours of compulsory Marxism lectures he endured as part of the undergraduate curriculum, but during his first-year winter break in Beijing. Along with 20 other young workers, he squeezed into a minivan with nine seats and was driven to a small workshop on the outskirts of the city. There, he put together cardboard packages for 12 hours in a below-freezing room with no heating.

What startled him most were the hands of the dozen young women living in the workshop, which were “swollen like radishes” from the cold. Unlike him, they had not had the opportunity to finish school. The boss of the workshop had brought them there from their hometown, and they did not know when they could go back.
“They were like slaves. I thought, this capitalist mode of production can turn people into feudal serfs,” says Luke (not his real name). As he applied acrid-smelling adhesives to the cardboard, he turned over the “tiny coincidences” that separated the lives of the young women from his own, as a student at one of China’s most celebrated universities. The women were the children of workers, as he was, and were about the same age. “I had a really strong wish,” he remembers. “I wanted to make things better.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...ow-china-tried-stop-my-freedom-speech-canada/

"While I was speaking at McMaster about this horrible reality in East Turkestan, a group of Chinese students in the audience tried to disrupt my speech. One of them ostentatiously recorded the entire presentation, and verbally assaulted me with foul language during the discussion period held afterward. Later, someone leaked a WeChat group discussion that revealed that the Chinese consulate may have directed the students to attend my event. "

He Needed a Job. China Gave Him One: Locking Up His Fellow Muslims.

In a series of recent interviews in Kazakhstan, where he and his family fled last year, Mr. Baimurat offered a rare, firsthand glimpse into the workings of Xinjiang’s security forces — and the dilemmas that many employed by them grapple with daily.

Mr. Baimurat, who goes by only one name, said he had decided to speak out because he regretted working for the police in Qitai county outside Urumqi, the regional capital. He also described how close he came to ending up in a camp himself.

“I feel an obligation because I have seen so many people suffering in the camps,” he said.

Security services would love to introduce that here. Huawei can help with the mobile stuff:thumbs:

and isn't that where it's all heading? beyond the racialized or genderized or religious rhetoric, the bolsinaro/trump/putin/erdogan/duterte movement is about accelerating the centralization of state power beyond what obama or bush or truman could have dreamed.

Skeptical Scholar Says Visit to Xinjiang Internment Camps Confirms Western Media Reports

Later, Jazexhi and others were brought to see detainees “study,” and he asked their instructor why they were being held there against their will.

“[The instructor] was telling me that it was a vocational school, but when I asked whether they were free to go home, he said, ‘no, they cannot leave,’” he said.

It's something grotesque like Australian 'schools' for aboriginals with their English-only policies.

China Reportedly Used iPhone Exploits to Target Uyghur Muslims

"The websites were part of a campaign to target the religious group by infecting an iPhone with malicious code simply by visiting a booby-trapped web page. In gaining unfettered access to the iPhone's software, an attacker could read a victim's messages, passwords, and track their location in near-real time."

also ,cambodia has started deporting as many uyghurs as they can find- there are refugees / asylum seekers in the royal kingdom- looks like Beijjings purchasing power and pressure is paying off on the periphary countries

https://player.ooyala.com/static/v4...ZXIsVy1&pbid=f62a9d0d893b44b7aec9c77e53ac5fb8

Online footage purporting to show hundreds of blindfolded and shackled prisoners in a mostly-Muslim region of China is believed to be authentic, a European security source has told Sky News.

The detainees are thought to be from China's minority Uighur Muslims, the source said on Friday.

It is not known how the footage was taken - possibly by a drone - but in an accompanying post on Twitter, the account holder wrote: "The people of today's society always live under the supervision of the government with high technology. Now we use technology to show the modern society of Xinjiang. People lose their freedom. No hope for future."

if even half of this is true ...

"Rape, torture and human experiments. Sayragul Sauytbay offers firsthand testimony from a Xinjiang 'reeducation' camp"

A million people are jailed at China's gulags. I escaped. Here's what really goes on inside
This researcher says more than 10,000 mosques, cemeteries, and other religious sites have been destroyed - some of them are village mosques that don't stand out in satellite photos, but he's been able to document the destruction of 150 larger mosques.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/11/03/china-every-day-is-kristallnacht/?arc404=true

View attachment 189018
i doubt there are any depths the chinese government will not stoop to

Reactions: tim
‘Absolutely No Mercy’: Leaked Files Expose How China Organized Mass Detentions of Muslims

"The leadership distributed a classified directive advising local officials to corner returning students as soon as they arrived and keep them quiet. It included a chillingly bureaucratic guide for how to handle their anguished questions, beginning with the most obvious: Where is my family?"

Interesting thing about that leak is a) it was leaked and b) it reveals there was some opposition to the camps from some officials.

It also puts the blame for it squarely on Xi Jinping and Chen Quanguo.

There's a coup coming by 2022, I'm quite sure.

Back
Top Bottom