Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Opinion: "The End of Meat Is Here" - NY Times

Why's that not a reason to eat meat?
Is the use of slave labour on veg farms in Spain a reason not to eat any veg?

Thats a reason to better regulate capitalism, not change diet.

Where I live the ag industry is hand and glove with the government. Asking them to change the laws, isn't really a practical way to have any short-term impact when they literally have the meat packing industry writing laws, they hand off to state government to pass. In the past, they've sponsored "ag gag" laws, which didn't pass only because there were enough Democrats to filibuster. That's no longer the case, since the Republicans now have a bullet proof majority. So, a year from now, you won't even be able to criticize the industry without risking jail.

Where I live the ag industry is hand and glove with the government. Asking them to change the laws, isn't really a practical way to have any short-term impact when they literally have the meat packing industry writing laws, they hand off to state government to pass. In the past, they've sponsored "ag gag" laws, which didn't pass only because there were enough Democrats to filibuster. That's no longer the case, since the Republicans now have a bullet proof majority. So, a year from now, you won't even be able to criticize the industry without risking jail.
That's crops and livestock - what does it have to do with meat specifically?

That's crops and livestock - what does it have to do with meat specifically?

Iowa has such a law and it's been applied exclusively to people protesting the meat industry.

In Nebraska, we grow very little salad veg. We grow some apples, watermelons, and hops, which are usually family-owned operations, rather than corporate. We do grow some cereal crops, but those are mostly used for animal feed or ethanol.

Last edited:
Seems that I'm not the only scientist who thinks livestock systems are very important for food security, nutrition and the environment.

450 odd of us are cranks and industry shills?

(these signatures are verified with a public academic profile and a university e-mail address)

Home

Signatures

Seems that I'm not the only scientist who thinks livestock systems are very important for food security, nutrition and the environment.

450 odd of us are cranks and industry shills?

(these signatures are verified with a public academic profile and a university e-mail address)

Home

Signatures
450 odd scientists might easily harbour a crank or industry shill or two among them

Is beef really cheap in the US? Because with my income and prices here in the UK, there's no way I can afford to eat it every day, even if I wanted to. Fresh cuts of beef are by far the most expensive kind of meat, and even minced beef has become rather pricy unless you get the really cheap and nasty stuff, half of which dissolves into grease when you cook it.

Back
Top Bottom