Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Just when I thought the Olympics couldn't depress me further....

came into heathrow tomorrow. wish i'd taken a picture of the scene that greeted me. a queue in the hundreds waiting to clear immigration. with two people manning the desks.

right next to them...? 6 desks for the 'Games Family'. all manned. with no people waiting. excellent stuff. i then saw a news piece when i did make it home with a government minister saying there were no queues at heathrow..

So, to recap, we currently have planned or in place:

Surface to Air missiles in a ring around London.
A Type 45 destroyer to be moored on the Thames.
RAF Typhoons to be based at Northolt.
Various helicopters belonging to the army around London.
A massive 17km fence with night vision cameras and 5,000 volts going through it.
Random stop and search powers if the Protection of Freedoms bill goes through in time.
Military and Navy Police on patrol in Central London.
Unmanned surveillance drones.
Numberplate reading cameras, facial recognition, retina and fingerprint scanners for "security".

Anything I've missed?
Also:
- A no fly zone over central London
- Closure of the greenway path / cycle track
- Closure of the Lea towpath running near the site (even though there's an £80m 8 foot fence)
- Closure of various bits of canal and forbidden entry to some locks on the canals, causing huge headache for people living on boats
- Olympic ZIL lanes
- A ban on protests
- etc etc...

The Olympics may just 16 days away but will the spectators be able to find chips? The shocking picture above shows the real effect of the Censorship Olympics. Thanks to a lucrative sponsorship deal with McDonalds, all other catering teams are forbidden from serving chips anywhere within the area of London categorized as Olympic Park — unless they come with fish.

FFS - McDonalds don't even sell real chips. :facepalm:

thing is - you cant give those cunts shit, and they know it.

There's more on the farce (lot's of volunteer staff being put on over the summer who sound like they are several geography lessons short of being qualified) on R4 PM right now.

came into heathrow tomorrow. wish i'd taken a picture of the scene that greeted me. a queue in the hundreds waiting to clear immigration. with two people manning the desks.

right next to them...? 6 desks for the 'Games Family'. all manned. with no people waiting. excellent stuff. i then saw a news piece when i did make it home with a government minister saying there were no queues at heathrow..

Are you a time traveler or something? :cool:

Also:
- A no fly zone over central London
- Closure of the greenway path / cycle track
- Closure of the Lea towpath running near the site (even though there's an £80m 8 foot fence)
- Closure of various bits of canal and forbidden entry to some locks on the canals, causing huge headache for people living on boats
- Olympic ZIL lanes
- A ban on protests
- etc etc...
Not to mention the fact that sponsors, athletes and other corporates involved in the games won't pay any tax between now and November, due to special IOC rules you have to agree to in order to get the games.

The army has also been asked to put another 3,500 troops (in addition to the 13,500 already put forward) on standby due to shortages in security guards.

Even with unpaid "volunteers" G4s has completely ballsed up its £234 million security contract thats now being covered wih happy smiley squaddies not.
G4s of course isnt paying any penality for being utterly crap.

Squaddies having there holidays/ training fucked over to do bone tasks because G4s are going to make great ambassadors for the olympics :)
I suggest seb coe makes sure hes got minders.
The guided missie troop had the smart idea 6 weeks of skiving sorry cant check bags pick up litter count doors.
Got to defend the olympics for terriorism.:)

Corruption Alert!

G4S Olympic contract: £300 000 000

Supplying 10 400 people (which they ballsed up anyway)

= £28 846.15 per person.

All the sponsors have special deals. For example, Visa are a sponsor, so that's the only payment card taken on site. Don't have a Visa card? Well you better take enough cash then.
If you don't have a Visa card you couldn't be there in the first place, all ticketing done souly on visa. I But chips though that's almost a national dish

When it comes to the games i think we've been labouring under a misapprehension: We thought we were hosts like the queen is at a posh garden party, when actually we're hosts in the way that John Hurt is in Alien.
Link :D

Critical mass must be surely odds on for the kettle.

The virtually omnipresent coke advertising is the closest thing to Stalinist propaganda I've seen in this country. Oh hang on, that was the jubilee.Oh hang on again...I was able to ignore a lot of that.

Link :D

Critical mass must be surely odds on for the kettle.
Yeah I reckon so.....there's a critical mass on the last Friday of every month, so the next one will be on Friday 27 July, the very day the Olympics start. There's bound to be a lot of police interest...and I can't imagine there not being a mass occupation of a "games lane"...so it could be fun!

Yeah I reckon so.....there's a critical mass on the last Friday of every month, so the next one will be on Friday 27 July, the very day the Olympics start. There's bound to be a lot of police interest...and I can't imagine there not being a mass occupation of a "games lane"...so it could be fun!

I'd be very disappointed if there wasn't.

i don't know of any cyclists who are going to give a two-penny fuck about these soviet-era games lanes regardless of what day of the week it is. green games my arse.

Back
Top Bottom