Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Just when I thought the Olympics couldn't depress me further....

I use G4S and there fucking shit, they can NEVER bring anyone decent to the table when i need staff... soon as the contract is up they are out.

It would all be very funny if it wasn't so fucking expensive... Whoever writes 'Twenty Twelve' has some serious insider information, last week's episode was about security AND traffic. Very topical.

Ok, it's all sort of funny, and expensive, and depressing... All at once.

At least I managed to get some not extortionately expensive tickets to watch the volleyball (no, not beach volleyball, you perverts)

(and no, I haven't read this whole thread!)

ffs.jpg

Your gym is in the London Hilton!:eek:

TBH I used to go to the local Hilton hotel gym when I was a student, but only because our university gym had been sold off to a private company who were such miserable price gouging fuckers that membership at the Hilton was actually a fair bit cheaper. That and one didn't have to associate with the lycra-clad, lager-fuelled australopithecans from the university rowing team.

Hilton is £32 a month, it's not all bad tho i just blagged free membership to the Park Plaza instead :D

More evidence in favour of the idea that some jobs are so inherently cuntish and pointless that being unemployed and claiming a few quid in benefits instead of doing one of them would be far better for society.

Agreed. More on the absolutely twattish nature of G4S - and the whole 'Workfare' bullshite - in this great New Statesman op piece. Crucial bit:

Another interesting debate, however, is to be had on the potential link between G4S’s failure and the scandal surrounding the deployment of "workfare" staff around the Queen’s Jubilee. The news of unpaid jobless being sent by coach from Bristol and made to spend the night under London Bridge was met with outcry. It is almost impossible to dismiss the collapse of such schemes under the weight of public opinion and the sudden G4S realisation that they will not be able to have the numbers promised, as mere coincidence.

Teresa May's response to G4S not turning up was to increase the security budget. :facepalm:Does it occur to no-one in govert that they should pay G4S less after fucking up?

Teresa May's response to G4S not turning up was to increase the security budget. :facepalm:Does it occur to no-one in govert that they should pay G4S less after fucking up?

Not sure where you got that from, G4S are paying all costs involved in extra police & troops being called in, which is why it's estimated they will now lose something like £50m on the contract, that figure is likely to increase as the cock-up rolls on. :D

Not sure where you got that from, G4S are paying all costs involved in extra police & troops being called in, which is why it's estimated they will now lose something like £50m on the contract,

I heard that too.

Bet you a fiver it's disingenuous bollocks.

Not sure where you got that from, G4S are paying all costs involved in extra police & troops being called in, which is why it's estimated they will now lose something like £50m on the contract, that figure is likely to increase as the cock-up rolls on. :D

I got it directly from teresa may, on the news answering a question in parliament and specifically saying that one of the ways they'd responded to this cock-up was to increase the budget. So I'm pretty sure...

I heard that too.

Bet you a fiver it's disingenuous bollocks.

Not sure about that, G4S's Chairman seems somewhat pissed-off with his senior managers, and the company's share price has dropped almost 9% today. :D

G4S chairman John Connolly has said senior managers could lose their jobs over the fiasco.
Chief executive Nick Buckles has already waived his bonus for this year, and has said he considered — but ruled out — resigning.
The company said Monday its loss on the contract would range between 35 million pounds and 50 million pounds ($54 million-$78 million) in this financial year.
A loss of 50 million pounds works out to about 12-13 percent of the company's annual profit, analysts calculated.
"G4S has evidently over-stretched itself with a high profile contract, which could have wider implications for the group's ability to win work," analysts at Espirito Santo Investment Bank said. "Given the high-profile nature of this contract there is now a high level of reputational damage."
G4S shares closed 8.6 percent lower at 254.6 pence in London Monday. The shares have dropped more than 30 pence since the Olympic shortfall was disclosed.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=156828272

I got it directly from teresa may, on the news answering a question in parliament and specifically saying that one of the ways they'd responded to this cock-up was to increase the budget. So I'm pretty sure...

I think you, if you excuse the pun, may have got the wrong end of the stick there, the only thing I've heard about increasing the security budget was in respect of what they did last year after a review of the security arrangements, long before this cock-up came about.

Every report is saying that G4S will be footing the bill for their cock-up, hence why their share prices has fallen so far today, and heads are about to roll. :D

G4S is certainly NOT getting paid anything more, that is for sure.

Poor naive people, thinking this is about anything other than the current bunch of neoliberals in power doing the same as their Labour predecessors, and shovelling public money into private pockets. ;)

I think you, if you excuse the pun, may have got the wrong end of the stick there, the only thing I've heard about increasing the security budget was in respect of what they did last year after a review of the security arrangements, long before this cock-up came about.

Every report is saying that G4S will be footing the bill for their cock-up, hence why their share prices has fallen so far today, and heads are about to roll. :D

G4S is certainly NOT getting paid anything more, that is for sure.

No, it was on the news an hour ago and it was a response to a question in parliament today.

No, it was on the news an hour ago and it was a response to a question in parliament today.

But May said...

May confirmed to MPs that G4S has promised to meet all the extra policeand military costs including the bill for sending officers to cover for G4S staff failing to turn up for work.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/j...shoot-olympic-staff-theresa-may?newsfeed=true

Nothing in that suggests the government is paying G4S anything more as you have suggested, in fact the total opposite - G4S is footing the bill for the cock-up.

Back
Top Bottom