Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Just when I thought the Olympics couldn't depress me further....

Yeah, I got the impression it was a problem this end, not the fault of Heavens Gifts/China Post, I was just bemused that the Olympics was even going to impact on international postal services, it's not like they haven't had years to ensure Customs could continue to work at their usual speed whilst, as you say, this five-ring-circus is happening.

From what I can make out from friends who still work inside "the machine of state", HMRC didn't even take on extra inspectors/clearers, they just re-tasked several dozen from other duties. Apparently, due to staff cuts, very few people wanted the duty! :)

Makes you wonder just how many other 'at arms length'/'totally unconnected' services are getting buggered-up because of all this nonsense.

Well, supposedly the bonded warehouses and clearance depots were already chock-a-block by mid-June (so, even more of a "Thieves' Paradise" than usual, then!), so it's not just retail customers who buy from abroad being affected, it's also businesses who, if they purchase on a J.I.T. basis, will be looking to recoup losses through the consequential loss clause on their shipping insurance. That means a mega-bustup between insurers and HMRC somewhere down the line. Poor Gideon, eh? :D

I'm hoping it's a complete fiasco from start to finish. Another nail in the coffin of this shambolic coalition government.

As much as that pleases me, most of this was planned under the last Government.

That's even more depressing though as no matter what shower we have in power, we're fucked.

wow

article-2174034-140A4E53000005DC-473_634x768.jpg

I thought they were grumbling about the foreigners having shitty living conditions in that article.
And the other one was about corporate censorship.

Yes but it's the Daily Mail, they're true agenda in that article is to create outrage that local people aren't getting the jobs.

Apparently the cleaners have been shipped in from abroad, why, there are plenty of people in London who could do the work

Oh, and according to media reports, they are living in crap conditions,

maybe answered my own question..

I don't understand this. Surely it would be cheaper to hire staff in London, as they wouldn't have to provide any accomodation at all. The only reason I can think of to draft in foreign workers is if they're paying considerably less than minimum wage and/or taking transport and accomodation costs out of the workers' pay packets. The latter seems more likely, give them a few portakabins and charge them through the nose for them.

e2a: Just read the article again, and it seems I was right. £18 a day, three hours' wages, for accomodation. And some people have been staying there for weeks with no work at all, so that they'll probably be going home with practically nothing. Disgraceful.

I don't understand this. Surely it would be cheaper to hire staff in London, as they wouldn't have to provide any accomodation at all. The only reason I can think of to draft in foreign workers is if they're paying considerably less than minimum wage and/or taking transport and accomodation costs out of the workers' pay packets. The latter seems more likely, give them a few portakabins and charge them through the nose for them.

e2a: Just read the article again, and it seems I was right. £18 a day, three hours' wages, for accomodation. And some people have been staying there for weeks with no work at all, so that they'll probably be going home with practically nothing. Disgraceful.

Also, these workers are probably far less likely to cause trouble, or join a union, than those who are from london.

Right now im PISSED OFF, if i want to go to the gym i have to pass secuirty to get into the hotel just to use the gym, this can take 10-20 mins if it's busy i have been told.... time to fuck the gym off for good i think.

Just been in to cancle and tell them why, fuck going through that shit every day, belt off empty ya pockets, they xray your pants and daps, then you get swiped over with a fucking metal detector.... :mad:

Theres 50 secuirty guards working days at the Hilton and 47 on nights.... WTF?!?

What if you've got a business which is based in London and sells gold? What if you're sponsoring something other than the olympics? What right have these cunts got to tell people which words they are allowed to use?

I know a Silversmith in London actually, I don't know if he advertises though - they've been on Chancery Lane for decades so I guess if you are into silver you'd know about them

Just been in to cancle and tell them why, fuck going through that shit every day, belt off empty ya pockets, they xray your pants and daps, then you get swiped over with a fucking metal detector.... :mad:

Theres 50 secuirty guards working days at the Hilton and 47 on nights.... WTF?!?

Your gym is in the London Hilton!:eek:

Back
Top Bottom