Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Just Stop Les Misérables

PTK

Paul Kegan
A performance of the musical Les Misérables was disrupted by protestors from Just Stop Oil last night (Wednesday 4th October),

What do people think about this?

I've only seen the good version from 2019 set in the banlieue. That version is fucking great, until I had seen that I associated 'Les Mis' with annoying posh people and unnecessary songs.

We went to watch Les Miserables in 2012 (the same year the movie came out). I wanted to watch the show before the movie so we went down to London for the weekend and watched the show and then watched the movie when we got back. The show was fantastic the movie was meh. Who the hell persuaded the producers that either Russell Crowe or Anne Hathaway could sing, neither of them can carry a tune in a bucket.
If JSO had managed to stop that film from being made I would be heaping praise upon them but this stunt re-inforces my belief about them. They are a handful of sideshow clowns who have no impact at all on the people they need to impact but greatly annoy the people whose support they should be trying to win.

We went to watch Les Miserables in 2012 (the same year the movie came out). I wanted to watch the show before the movie so we went down to London for the weekend and watched the show and then watched the movie when we got back. The show was fantastic the movie was meh. Who the hell persuaded the producers that either Russell Crowe or Anne Hathaway could sing, neither of them can carry a tune in a bucket.
If JSO had managed to stop that film from being made I would be heaping praise upon them but this stunt re-inforces my belief about them. They are a handful of sideshow clowns who have no impact at all on the people they need to impact but greatly annoy the people whose support they should be trying to win.

This video is an enjoyable watch on exactly why the film is bad:

All musicals should be stopped. Except possibly for Lucy Prebble’s Enron, and any future adaptation of The Wicker Man. But certainly all Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals should be closed down by the Lord Chamberlain.

Demonstrations against musicals should be held at oil refineries across the land.

Last edited:
how much did they delay the performance for?
it's already a long show. must have kept some of the audience past their bedtime.

All musicals should be stopped. Except possibly for Lucy Prebble’s Enron, and any future adaptation of The Wicker Man. But certainly all Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals should be closed down by the Lord Chamberlain.

Demonstrations against musicals should be held at oil refineries across the land.
I blame the company responsible for putting on Les Misérables in a theatre. Everyone knows that the only way to guarantee that your event will be free from disruption by Just Stop Oil (be it a musical, a snooker tournament, or an art exhibition) is to hold it in an oil refinery.

Oh dear.
Free tickets for another showing but you’ll have to sit through the first 2 hours again.
It was under three hours long including a half hour break in the middle where I could go for a pee and get to the bar to get the drinks in whilst Mrs Q was still queueing for the ladies but it is actually really good. The scene where Eponine dies had me sniffling in the theatre but had no effect at all during the movie.

Still no idea how this fits into any strategy for actually achieving any change. I think at best it's neutral, at worst actually damaging for the politics of a wider climate movement.
Apparently they do target more obvious oil-related companies, locations, etc. but it gets zero media coverage, so they do these other stunts because otherwise nobody would even know they exist.

It was under three hours long including a half hour break in the middle where I could go for a pee and get to the bar to get the drinks in whilst Mrs Q was still queueing for the ladies but it is actually really good. The scene where Eponine dies had me sniffling in the theatre but had no effect at all during the movie.
just under. it's 2 hours 50 with a 15 min interval. though that may have been slightly different at other points in the last 40 years.

I should have said sit through the first 1h 30 again, if it was cut at 9 from a 7.30 start.

yeah I've seen it once. it's great. definitely beats the movie.

I’d have been fuming if I’d paid all that money to see a fabulous show and then a bunch of idiots spoilt it. They’re really not doing themselves any favours and I’m all for saving the walruses!

I’d have been fuming if I’d paid all that money to see a fabulous show and then a bunch of idiots spoilt it. They’re really not doing themselves any favours and I’m all for saving the walruses!
"idiots"
:hmm:

Back
Top Bottom