Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Johann Hari admits copying and pasting interview quotes

"The Orwell Prize has no independent capacity to research the work that is submitted. It relies on the integrity of authors and of their publisher’s editorial practices."

theres usually about 12 on the longlist each year and each one has at most half a dozen articles submitted for consideration. if they havent got time to check up on an absolute maximum of 80odd articles then what do they do all day?

from wiki:
"The Orwell Prize is regarded as the pre-eminent British prize for political writing."

i think someone needs to edit that tbh

"The Orwell Prize has no independent capacity to research the work that is submitted. It relies on the integrity of authors and of their publisher’s editorial practices."

theres usually about 12 on the longlist each year and each one has at most half a dozen articles submitted for consideration. if they havent got time to check up on an absolute maximum of 80odd articles then what do they do all day?

from wiki:
"The Orwell Prize is regarded as the pre-eminent British prize for political writing."

i think someone needs to edit that tbh

Maybe David Rose will take up your suggestion.

Maybe David Rose will take up your suggestion.

I'm sure than Johann Hari could manage something suitably creative. How about:

'As I was sat at the dining table yesterday evening, pontificating about the meaning of life with the Dalai Lama and debating the pros and cons of Machiavelli with Alastair Campbell, all while managing to find common religious with a red-faced, cape-wearing gentleman whose name I seem to have forgotten, my stunning victory in the Orwell Prize brought a warm and healthy glow that easily topped that of the fine brandy and choice cigars passed round by our host, that fine and upstanding media titan and defender of free, fair, honest and unbiased reportage so redolent of the Fox Network and News International, Mr. Rupert Murdoch (who conveniently has some exciting job opportunities opening up at the moment), the Orwell Prize is still a benchmark for professional and aspiring writers everywhere. Although the evening was somewhat spoiled by some tall, gangling, pseudo-poor middle-class hack ranting on about Spain and the correct means of producing a decent cup of tea, for some reason.'

'After all, you only have to be as good as me to win an Orwell...'

I think he's done his course now. Just waiting for everyone holding something back to flood the cunt when he does his next 5 grand (yes) for 600 words piece.

Into the ground.

I think he's done his course now. Just waiting for everyone holding something back to flood the cunt when he does his [bold]next 5 grand (yes) for 600 words piece.[/bold]

Into the ground.

Does that 600 words include stolen quotes? Or was 600 creative writing words to frame plagiarism?

is rod liddle really the best they can do?

Rod Liddle doesn't matter. Tunisian liberals do. They want them to line up in favour of Ennahda's privatisations and against their fairly minimal Islamisation-ism.

In an exemplary example of linkbait for The Spectator, Nick Cohen blends together a pop at the Telegraph with support for Laurie Penny, Polly Toybee and Melanie Phillips, and manages to shoehorn this gem about Hari:

On Fleet Street it was common knowledge for years that Hari made it up...

Chris Blackhusrt up at levenson today:

Johann Hari will return to the Independent as a columnist – but not an interviewer – in four or five weeks

Hari produced his medical history "which showed that he acted in the way he did" in relation to the Wikipedia amendments.

(what's that even supposed to mean? We all know that "he acted in the way he did").

A direct quote from Blackhurst and 100% not true:

I'm surprised you say there was cover-up in the sense there were inclings before because that is genuinely news to me. One of the problems … was that no one had ever complained … Nobody had alerted us to the fact he had drawn his information from somewhere else. If there was we might have nipped it in the bud but in fact it continued.

So they're saying he's on the spectrum to the point of behavioural issues affecting his professional competence, just in very couched terms. Poor.

Or alternately he got himself wrecked on substances :D

Or is just a massive controlling egotistical wankbag :D

http://johannhari.com/2012/01/20/a-short-update/

I’d like to thank the Independent for the privilege of working for them over the past nine years, and for offering me my job back, starting in a few weeks. But after nearly six months living in New York City, and plenty of time to reflect, I’ve decided to not take them up on their kind offer.

There are two reasons. I’m willing to take the flack for my errors myself: when you screw up, you should pay a price. But I’m not willing to see other people, who are played no part in those errors and are unimpeachably decent people, take the flack too. It’s not fair on them. The Independent has been great to me, and we need its principles in the public arena without distractions.

Secondly, while doing some journalistic retraining in the US, I’ve started working on a book on a subject I believe is important and requires urgent action. To be done properly it needs international travel and the kind of in depth focus that’s not possible when you are writing a heavily researched column at the same time. So, while I’ll be writing occasional articles elsewhere, I’ll be mainly delving deeply into this one subject for now.

Above all else, I’d like to thank all the readers of the Independent. Ever since I started as a columnist as a 23 year old I have learned so much from you. I often learned the most from the more critical messages – you have talked me out of a dozen positions – but your supportive letters and emails since last July have hugely moved me.

I’ll continue to be a loyal reader and supporter of the Independent. It is one of the world’s great newspapers, and I feel privileged to have been part of it all these years.
If i can make it there..what a cunt...

in the US, I’ve started working on a book on a subject I believe is important and requires urgent action. To be done properly it needs international travel and the kind of in depth focus that’s not possible when you are writing a heavily researched column at the same time.

He laughs in your face whittam-smith you knob.

He's just been on a journo course and he writes this sentence:

I’d like to thank the Independent for the privilege of working for them over the past nine years, and for offering me my job back, starting in a few weeks

has to be a joke.

Back
Top Bottom