Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Johann Hari admits copying and pasting interview quotes

I think he'd say he's got about a hundred more interesting things to do than write an autobiography tbh. Or a thousand more interesting things than sit and talk to Johann Hari about himself.
Which is why it is such a boon to have a ghost writer who doesn't even need to be in the same room, on the phone to or indeed in the same spatial dimension as the person whom he is ‘interviewing’.

Genius stuff here:

I’ve got to know Hari a bit over the past two years...

I was the first person in my family to go to a fancy university (the usual cred establishing I was the first person in my family to go to a university clearly not applying)

But this is totally unrelated to the things I did wrong journalistically,” he says quickly. “This is really important. I did those things before and during the use of this drug. So I want to make it clear that I’m not in any way attributing anything I did to that drug use. They are totally separate things. It's for you to conclude that i did.

My god, the new statesman flushed him out apparently.

Disassociation from actions:

The humiliation must have been toe-curling, but when I ask how he dealt with it, he says, “I just think that would be asking people to see it from my point of view.” Sympathy should be for the people he smeared online, for the Independent and its readers: “Not for me.”

--

“It was incredibly humiliating, yes. It was absolutely devastating, and I fell apart. But I would not want to live in a culture where people could be horrible about other people under a pseudonym online, or act as if something someone had written had been said directly to you, and not pay a big price for it.”

I used to quite like Hari. He could write quite persuasively, sort of the Indie's answer to Melanie Philips. Then he justified Iraq, I shifted further to the left and then didn't read him again really.

Reactions: tim
Back
Top Bottom