Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Johann Hari admits copying and pasting interview quotes

" But I’m not willing to see other people, who are played no part in those errors and are unimpeachably decent people, take the flack too."

He didn't even proof read it?

Total mugs at the Indie

I've tried to think how they were in on this arrangement, but i can't see it. He has fucked them over, probably living off Eltons millions and funds for his Internationally important book. The indie have been utter mugs even if he has stitched them up, tbh.

Another one bites the dust

Writer Jonah Lehrer resigned from the New Yorker on Monday after admitting that he had fabricated quotes from Bob Dylan in his nonfiction book "Imagine: How Creativity Works." The book has been recalled by publisher Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

“Three weeks ago, I received an email from journalist Michael Moynihan asking about Bob Dylan quotes in my book ‘Imagine,’ ” Mr. Lehrer said in a statement. “The quotes in question either did not exist, were unintentional misquotations, or represented improper combinations of previously existing quotes. But I told Mr. Moynihan that they were from archival interview footage provided to me by Dylan’s representatives. This was a lie spoken in a moment of panic. When Mr. Moynihan followed up, I continued to lie, and say things I should not have said.”
“The lies are over now. I understand the gravity of my position
I think we better check wikipedia.

The lying (is it still OK to call to call him that) Hari is in Switzerland writing his book about drugs

https://twitter.com/johannhari101/status/287605754708516865

"I'm in Switzerland doing research for m'book. Impossible to say 'Ou est la gare?' without feeling like a 13-yr old GCSE student"
My guess for its conclusion: 'Legalisation will save Britain. Drugs are a choice, drug dealers provide a service'

My guess for its conclusion: 'Legalisation will save Britain. Drugs are a choice, drug dealers provide a service'

If fairness, dealers do provide a service, just an illegal one. Some people want drugs and crooks will supply that demand whether it's legal or not. Organised crime in particular is essentially the continuation of corporate business by other means where supply and demand is the only law that's observed.

The lying (is it still OK to call to call him that) Hari is in Switzerland writing his book about drugs

https://twitter.com/johannhari101/status/287605754708516865

"I'm in Switzerland doing research for m'book. Impossible to say 'Ou est la gare?' without feeling like a 13-yr old GCSE student"

Great. The last thing an issue as sensitive, complex and important as drug addiction needs is Johan Fucking Hari.

Also interested in the Wikipedia editing as explained by Christina Odone

At the same time, a mysterious person also started tampering with Hari's enemies' Wikipedia entries. Mine started featuring all kinds of inaccuracies: I had been embroiled in rows over my anti-semitism and homophobia (not true); I'd been fired from the Catholic Herald (not true). Tellingly, my Wiki entry also included a long description of how I had attacked Johann Hari. This struck me as curious: in a professional life that included encounters with Pope John Paul II, Tony Blair, Mother Teresa, Gordon Brown and Kingsley Amis, I didn't quite see why Hari merited a paragraph, and the rest didn't get a look in.

I thought no more about it – until a "friend" of my mother's teased her about my Wikipedia entry. "Your daughter's not exactly a shining beacon of professional integrity," summed up her reaction. She read out the nastier bits of my potted (and manipulated) bio, and my mother was devastated.
Edward Lucas, my husband, determined to find out what was going on. As Nick Cohen described in his excellent Spectator diary, he soon concluded that a certain "David R" was penning all the vicious attacks on me. The same David R went on to tamper with the Wiki entries of a host of other Hari critics – from Francis Wheen to Nick Cohen. The author's obsessive editing took place on a daily basis, often at dawn; at midnight one Christmas Eve, David R was busily messing up Richard Littlejohn's Wiki entry. Goodwill to all men.

But the same blogosphere that he had cultivated so assiduously has turned on Hari now. Those online boffins who, terrier-like, spend days and nights researching the internet to prove their point, have looked closely at "David r from Meth productions", as he was initially described. As David Allen Green describes on his Jack of Kent blog, this David r – who was operating from an Independent computer – later identified himself as an Independent sub called David Rose, a friend of Hari's. Hari also refers in emails to his friend David Rose, mentioning the latter's starred first from Cambridge and expertise in climate change.

How the hell does he still have a non-fiction book contract?

Back
Top Bottom