Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ireland Election 2020

jbqW_CUxJYbD9qWUjsUOChnAlW5REWznaSVJga5fbeA.jpg

An exquisite example of multitudinous positionism from Coppinger as she announces she wants a cushy seanad spot after campaigning to abolish it in 2013.

Does this make another GE more likely?
Another election would see FF lose more seats to SF. O'Cuiv says they want a coalition with FG and the greens.

“Fianna Fáil intends to go into coalition with Fine Gael and the Greens. If you look at the figures, that’s the only option that gives you a majority.

“I’m against that, completely against that, and I made that known at the meeting.

“The public voted for change, we said we weren’t going in with Fine Gael, we said we were for change, and that there was a need for a change of government,” Ó Cuív said.

Solidarity, Murphy and PBP all met McDonald separately for discussions.

It looks to me that SF are playing FFG like a cheap fiddle - being the Mr/Mrs Reasonable. Good. And enough independent/small party lefties to keep SF on the straight and narrow. Roll on the (inevitable) new election. Exciting times.

eta, Wouldn't rule out Eamonn O'Cuiv and another bunch of 'republican-minded' FF TD's breaking off and leaving the tories of FF and FG to saddle up together. Fuck them and the horse they rode in on (the tories, rather than O'Cuiv et al)

Last edited:
There'll be another election.
Has to happen.
FF with FG will not be acceptable to the people.
The question is can SF put up more candidates or do they have to run the same numbers?

Jesus, I made the mistake of hunting down a copy of the Sindo yesterday.

Last week I thought that maybe some FFGgreens lash up would have to offer some mild reform, to sure up their declining votes and maybe regain some of the voters they lost to SF. After reading the Sindo, I don't think that even mild reform is possible nor do the party leaderships or national opinion makers desire it.

Woeful piece by the liberals hero Fintan O'Toole
But right now a lot of it is real and visible and not just in Dublin. Employment has risen for 29 consecutive quarters since 2013 and is now higher than it was before the crash. Ireland again looks like a big winner in the game of economic globalisation.
It is a reaction against the success of globalisation. Ireland has not been left behind – it is, on the contrary, at the forefront of this vast process. But what the election tells us is that, even for the winners, the existing model of “free market” globalisation is deeply flawed: it cannot produce, even in a rich society, the public goods that citizens expect.
Yeah all those "winners" that struggle to pay their rent and bills! What does he actually think globalisation is.

Back
Top Bottom