Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ireland Election 2020

Ok comrade covid, I'm ready when you are.

varadkaaaaaaar.jpg

It was a quote from Sam which makes it even more appalling.

Last edited:
Given these government formations are taking forever do you think a. As FG are riding high in the polls will they go for a general election or b. Keep pressurising the greens do they have a fall guy for austerity round II or c. Will they try to go down a FFG/right independents minority admin?

Deal is done. Martin as Taoiseach. Looks like the stuff the greens were looking for have been put on a ten year finger while corporations retain their almost tax free status. Plus Greens pushing austerity again despite FFG asking them not to.

Not sure it will last.

Last edited:
Deal is done. Martin as Taoiseach. Looks like the stuff the greens were looking for have been put on a ten year finger while corporations retain their almost tax free status. Plus Greens pushing austerity again despite FFG asking them not to.

Not sure it will last.
Where next for SF IYOm wait until the cracks appear?

Not sure it will last.

The parties commit Ireland to an average 7 per cent per annum reduction in overall greenhouse gas emissions from 2021 to 2030, which is a 51 per cent reduction over the decade, with the aim of achieving net zero emissions by 2050.

The parties commit Ireland to an average 7 per cent per annum reduction in overall greenhouse gas emissions from 2021 to 2030, which is a 51 per cent reduction over the decade, with the aim of achieving net zero emissions by 2050.
Given the past assurances I think we’ll be waiting a long time. The only thing that seems achievable is the bike lessons in national schools.

Where next for SF IYOm wait until the cracks appear?
Their talking about being the most effective opposition and I guess there is some truth to that only in so far that they could mobilise people in their communities and possibly nationally. However opposition will probably make them more respectable. So depending on the mood in the country they’ll probably sit tight.

I'm still dubious as to whether the FF and GP membership will actually accept it. There's a lot of rankling in the grassroots FF cummain, but I presume Martin will be able to get the boot in alright though.

The other question, is there enough in the deal for the GP membership to sup with the devil once again? They had better bring a long enough spoon this time if they do.

At this stage the only party for whom the scenario has a clear benefit either way is FG. If it works, well, they're in government again, although at a reduced capacity. If the deal collapses they get to go back to the polls again with their hands up saying 'hey, we did our best to get a deal, blame the other guys'. Still a risky proposition a risky proposition, but they would likely significantly overtake FF in another election.

McHugh from the greens seems to have called this programme for government, rubbish. I don’t think the green members will reject it though.

66% though innit? I think youre right though, that they'll accept it. Even with the new influx of young GP members, it's still split between the environmental do-gooders who will see their abilitiy to enact "postive" things in government, and those with more of a left/ecological perspective. Unfortunately at the moment the 2008 experience has not really figured so much.
It's disappointing to see Catherine Martin vote in favour of the deal, and Neasa Hourigan and others simply abstain.
There was not one vote against the deal.

As with FF, it seems the putative grassroots rebellion has come to nought. Martin must be the luckiest FF leader to have existed.

Never would believe a FF rebellion would happen. The average Cumann member wouldn't miss the opportunity to talk up their shite in the pub.

As an aside,the Daily Express seems to have been celebrating the demise of Varadkar a little too early. He'll be back as Taoiseach in two years unless something befalls him...

So today’s the day to see if there will be a government. Probably will and the greens will pay the price...
Anyway of more Interest is Brid Smith calling out a judge and the over the top reaction from FG and the media.

Late to this thread, sorry...the likely out come is the Greens, despite much Lib-Dem style hand-wringing, enabling five more years of a right wing pro-business agenda, having been bought off with some pitiful buckets of steam on climate change?

Last edited:
Late to this thread, sorry...the likely out come is the Greens, despite much Lib-Dem style hand-wringing, enabling five more years of a right wing wing pro-business agenda, having been bought of with some pitiful buckets of steam on climate change?
they do do hand-wringing better than almost anyone else

So today’s the day to see if there will be a government. Probably will and the greens will pay the price...
Anyway of more Interest is Brid Smith calling out a judge and the over the top reaction from FG and the media.
What a bunch of pricks

Hopefully the 76% of green members who voted for this more of the same deal have put the nail in the coffin and dug the grave of that sorry limp bunch of shites.

Late to this thread, sorry...the likely out come is the Greens, despite much Lib-Dem style hand-wringing, enabling five more years of a right wing pro-business agenda, having been bought off with some pitiful buckets of steam on climate change?
Tuigeann tú an scéal!

Really, why?

You've obviously got a much knowledge of the ins and outs of Irish politics than me flypanam but people initially said similar things about the Con/LibDem coalition but that lasted the full term, in Germany the SPD-CDU coalition ahas lasted. To me these fucks like the trappings of power too much to give it once they've started. I mean, of course, it is possible that there's something (or a series of somethings) that mean the coalition breaks but I'd not be totally surprised to see it go the distance.

You’re right regarding the other various grand coalitions but they’ve all existed with a popular legitimacy which I don’t think the FFGG government has. Nor has FFGG take office after a quiet period instead we’ve had a sustained wave of Popular votes and protests that repealed the 8th, introduced marriage equality, and stopped water charges.

Unlike 2008, this government has the mammoth task of the economy and imposing a second round of hated austerity all without the traditional safety net of emigration. I can’t see that a mass of young workers are going to leave for the next couple of years for there is nowhere for them to go, Australia, NZ, Canada, and the US are closed, Britain isn’t attractive right now. The failure to provide a future for young workers could lead to some form of popular anger which neither FFG have an answer for and leave the greens as a major target as the weakest member of the gov.

oh course this is just stuff that is stewing in my mind as I’m not there it is harder to tell but what started my thinking this way is this poll Overwhelming amount of Irish people want another election over coalition

plus as a side issue Brid Smith’s calling out of a judge has not being met with too much right wing backlash, nor is she backing down which makes me think she’s captured something in the public mood, unlike Starmer’s sacking of RLB.

we know predictions are always fraught but this isn’t exactly the dark days of 2008 not 2016.

Last edited:
And the first minister falls...Brother of FF royalty, Barry Cowan the provisional drunk driver sacked on the same day that Martin offers a pay rise to ministers

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom