Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

International Cricket

Another side effect of the T20 revolution is that I doubt any career Test run/wicket records will ever be broken

Well this is the crux of it. Do the big three actually want to save test cricket? They're the ones with the power to make that happen.

The WTC requires a minimum of six matches a year, but SA and others are now interpreting that as a maximum as well.

Something like this would work.

England, India and Australia to agree to play one another over a five-year cycle rather than four. The WTC is run over a 2.5 year cycle, with the venue for the final switching between hemispheres. Everyone plays everyone else in that 2.5 year cycle (except Pakistan-India, but they should work on making that happen, even if it requires a neutral venue) with a minimum of three tests per series.

That gives every team a minimum of just over nine tests per year (which is ok as a maximum as well, should teams decide to make it the maximum) and also allows space in the schedule for the ODI World Cup and matches against the non-WTC teams.

It requires a reduction of 20% from the 'Big three' in terms of playing one another. I don't think that's too much to ask. I think playing twice every four years is too much anyway.

Last edited:
That's great thinking. But not taking into account the IPL, Big Bash etc. There's no way the world's elite players can squeeze all that in. We're gonna have weakened sides, well we do already.

Indian elite players play IPL and for India, and that's it. In a rational world, they would create a window for the IPL but not for any of the others. Aus test players usually don't play in the Big Bash, or just make the odd appearance. But yes, the problem again comes with players from outside the big three. We're never going to have equality between nations in terms of retainers (England test players earn ten times more than NZ test players, for example), but what we could and should have is equality of appearance money. That would require the big three effectively paying opposition players to play, but why not? They can afford it. And without decent opposition, there is no test cricket.

The sad thing is. I can't remember a single match in the IPL and I've watched probably hundreds. Just the first one when Baz went beserk and hit 150 or something. I remember so many legendary test matches. Such a shame. My son will grow up with test cricket, like it or not :D

Last edited:
Love this :D

Quote of the week

“It’s designed, to be honest, for Marnus and Smith … I wanted to change something, to try and bring their outside edge in more … to those guys, I think dragging them across with away swing is important. So this action tweak is pretty much designed at those two, and it was good to see it really swinging away today” – Stuart Broad talks up his new delivery, the “outswinger”. The Baloney War begins.

Bizarre that the Guardian is continuing its policy of turning up its nose at the IPL and not even mentioning what is easily the biggest T20 match in world cricket

Nothing. This has been a bonkers tournament, the final living up to it.

It’s shit cricket, for the feeble minded, that’s ultimately going to destroy the finest of sports, test cricket.

It's pretty stupid to completely ignore it. I mean, they cover the fucking Hundred which is the worst thing I've ever seen on a cricket field

Jesus christ cricket is stupid sometimes. If they're not coming off because it's slightly dark, they're now basically cancelling the showpiece final because of a bit of moisture on one of the side pitches. How do athletes in other sports manage to run on damp grass? BCCI must be going crazy over this.

Jonathon Liew is on it again…

Perhaps we can still just about glimpse a 39-year-old Stuart Broad tearing in at the Gabba in November 2025, holding his body together for one last epic trolling of the Australian tabloids. Perhaps this time he will claim to have invented the bouncer, or state his passionate belief that he doesn’t regard the Kookaburra as a real cricket ball. We can only hope.

WTC final. India leave out Ashwin, again. A man who would walk into any other test team at any time. He can bowl all conditions, India have gone with 4 quicks - we'll see.

India won toss and are fielding. Don't know why this game is beginning at 10.30. Apparently overcast in London (wtf? we haven't seen a cloud for 2 weeks in Wales).

WTC final. India leave out Ashwin, again. A man who would walk into any other test team at any time. He can bowl all conditions, India have gone with 4 quicks - we'll see.

India won toss and are fielding. Don't know why this game is beginning at 10.30. Apparently overcast in London (wtf? we haven't seen a cloud for 2 weeks in Wales).

Starting early because of India's broadcasters (India's in a very odd time zone - half an hour off)

Distinct step up in quality from England v Ireland. Shami and Siraj both dangerous, consistently around 140 ks. Uneven bounce might worry batters due to come in. Warner looking very good so far. I think Aus will be quietly happy to just have lost one wicket.

This is like watching a completely different sport to what England have been doing. Not sure which I prefer.

I thought that was a fair call by the ump. It looked a bit high and a bit leg, and sure enough, it was hitting the top corner of the bail. Predictive technology isn't 100% accurate. Umpire's call is also there to allow for that - benefit of the doubt with the batter still applies.

This is like watching a completely different sport to what England have been doing. Not sure which I prefer.
It is going to be fascinating come the Ashes. Aus will bat like this. Traditional, but positive, test match batting. Respect the good balls and good spells. Make the bowlers work hard, put away the bad balls. Be prepared to soak up pressure. Look for the singles, run hard to turn singles into twos.

Warner's going to be kicking himself for getting out like that, but that was no Crawleyesque bright and breezy 40-odd. He applied himself and batted really well. Waited for the width, which eventually came through Yadav.

I hope England have plans for Head and for Smith (and Green). India don't appear to. How can you leave out the number one bowler in the world? Then bowl an afternoon of largely rubbish, before introducing Jadeja about 40 minutes too late, if not longer.

I think Aus are ahead now. Smith batting annoyingly well. Head being Head. Above 300 is an excellent score in the first innings at the Oval this year.

Back
Top Bottom