Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

International Cricket

Gill's unlucky there. That hit the ground.
Looks definitely on the ground from the front, but we all know the foreshortening effect of zoom lenses. From behind, it looks like his fingers are underneath it.

Interesting first case study of the no 'soft signal' rule change. Third ump had to make the decision there.

Commentators were saying that as long as he had control of the ball it's still out, even if the ball was touching the ground

Commentators were saying that as long as he had control of the ball it's still out, even if the ball was touching the ground
:hmm:

Um no. That's commentators not knowing the laws. If any part of the ball touches the ground at any time during the process of catching it, it's not out.

The hand can be touching the ground, but not the ball.

33.1 Out Caught

The striker is out Caught if a ball delivered by the bowler, not being a No ball, touches his/her bat without having previously been in contact with any fielder, and is subsequently held by a fielder as a fair catch, as described in 33.2 and 33.3, before it touches the ground.

33.2.2 Furthermore, a catch will be fair if any of the following conditions applies:

33.2.2.1 the ball is held in the hand or hands of a fielder, even if the hand holding the ball is touching the ground, or is hugged to the body, or lodges in the external protective equipment worn by a fielder, or lodges accidentally in a fielder’s clothing.

[my bold]

ETA:

Reading cricinfo, it appears to be Ricky Ponting who is a bit confused. No way the ball was under control then it touched the ground, as he is suggesting was the umpire's decision. We also have a problem here with the limits of technology - the most relevant moment to the decision can occur between frames.

Last edited:
fwiw from that view from behind, I think it was probably a fair catch.

I also don't like that rule 33.2.2.1, which I believe is a recent change. A fielder shouldn't be allowed to catch the ball by having it jam in their helmet, imo, or indeed after it has hit his/her helmet. Not that it's going to happen too often.

Fingers crossed Kohli keeps the Australians in the field all day. Grinding down and demoralising them. I take back all the ill things I’ve said about King Kohli in the past.

India fall in a heap. Disappointing end, but well played Aus. Won it on that first day really. It was an even match from then on, but 330-3 was way too much on this pitch.

“A nation of 23million (beating a nation of 1.4 billion). A bold community of athletes, of sporting heroes”…Hayden on comms? Went on to wank over the ‘Baggy Green” 🤮

They will be full of it this week…

Lessons for England?

Boland will be a handful all summer. Cummins is good but not scary good. Looks like Starc and Hazlewood will be battling over one place.

And bowl short to Head. From Ball One.

The fall and fall of West Indies cricket continues.

Two former World Cup winners are battling it out in Zimbabwe in the Qualifiers, and one of them may well not make it. WI lost to Zim today and the format is such that they probably need to win all four of their remaining games, including one against the other former winners Sri Lanka, if they are to make it to the final and so qualify. Zim are now in a great place and could qualify even if they lose to Sri Lanka. Well done Zimbabwe, but that's a desperate result for WI.

That's really a shame isn't it. It does increasingly feel like maybe they're not going to be able to come back from it to be honest. I'm sure the cricket culture is still there to a fair degree at least but there doesn't seem much prospect of them being able to put out coherent, competitive teams any time soon.

The sloppiness - the misfields, the dropped catches - is indicative of a team lacking in spirit. Ordinary cricket teams can raise themselves up by practising hard and placing pride in the standard of their fielding. WI don't seem to have that pride in performance at the moment, sad to say. They're a shambles.

Gives me no pleasure to say that. I mean well done the Dutch as that was some heist. But they would have lost if WI had fielded to a decent standard.

That's really a shame isn't it. It does increasingly feel like maybe they're not going to be able to come back from it to be honest. I'm sure the cricket culture is still there to a fair degree at least but there doesn't seem much prospect of them being able to put out coherent, competitive teams any time soon.

The culture is very much there in the population. I went to Tobago last year and had a game, on a road (move the stumps if a car comes), with a dozen or more Rastas who do this every week. There are many (US sports) distractions and cricket is run appallingly in the Caribbean but the interest is still very much there IME.

It's not like the talent isn't there. Looking at today's team, there were a few IPL stalwarts in there. They should be thumping the likes of the Netherlands. There's something wrong that should surely be fixable.

West Indies have crashed out of WC qualifying. Three defeats in five. Only teams they managed to beat are Nepal and USA.

Looking very likely to be two from Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka and Scotland.

Fantastic tussle for qualification. Zim are through if they win today, out if they lose. Scotland win and they're through as long as they avoid a heavy defeat to Ned. Ned beat Scot big and they're through if Scot win today.

Zim four down already chasing 235. Their best player Raza is in. I suggest it may be all down to him now.

Anyone see Rahkeem Cornwall's run out? More a stroll out really. Worth a look, video halfway down the page.

Nepal currently riding their luck to good effect against a very pissed off looking India in the Asia Cup :)

Siraj really doesn't like these amateurs walking down the pitch at him and slogging him for six

Anyone see Rahkeem Cornwall's run out? More a stroll out really. Worth a look, video halfway down the page.

Rahkeem Cornwall's body shape and consequent suitability for professional cricket does tend to polarise opinion, but so far as this T20 run out is concerned, his batting generally does not rely upon a lot of running between the wickets, as evidenced in his match-winning innings yesterday before he retired tired hurt:

Anyone been following the Asia Cup? It's generally been a rain-affected farce, because Sri Lanka refused to move the grounds to less rainy parts because size of grounds and money. So the most important games were badly affected, then Pakistan blew it anyway, and this was the Final, this morning.

1694954555810.png

And even that was after a massive rain delay.

I don't know who thought it was a great idea to schedule the Asia Cup right smack bang in the middle of monsoon season and the actual World Cup just as the rains will be easing in India. Today's warmups also being screwed by torrential rain.

Back
Top Bottom