Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

International Cricket

Wow. I left the match just after the third wicket. Came back and they're still three down. From watching Head and Smith in that last half hour, it was looking ominously easy for both of them.

Aus top order is very good. Ominous signs for the summer.

They managed 85 overs in six and a half hours.

They managed 85 overs in six and a half hours.

Only 84. India bowled badly, Australia batted well. They are well ahead.

I don't understand how it is possible to leave out your number one bowler in the world for a guy ranked 50th. Conditions do not override quality that much. If I were Ashwin, I'd walk away right now.

Ashwin's got quite the temper/ego on him so I wouldn't be surprised if he did exactly that. It was a poor decision to bowl anyway. We've been having amazing weather in London. A few clouds in the morning could have been worked through.

Only 84. India bowled badly, Australia batted well. They are well ahead.

I don't understand how it is possible to leave out your number one bowler in the world for a guy ranked 50th. Conditions do not override quality that much. If I were Ashwin, I'd walk away right now.
Yeah, and Ashwin can bat, of course. I think it is memories of two years ago, the last time Ashwin and Jadeja played together in England, when they lost to NZ. tbf I doubt Ashwin would have done too much today. But second innings, they may miss him.

But both Yadav and Thakur were poor today. That second hour, ok, Thakur picked up Warner, but they let out all the pressure built by the opening bowlers. Then the opening bowlers were dangerous again right after lunch. tbh I think Bumrah is the big miss, not Ashwin.

There's a general aphorism that goes something like "you can't win a test match on day one - but you can lose one". It normally applies to a team being bowled out for nothing, but it applies here to India and their terrible bowling yesterday outside of the first hour. Their bowling coach admitted they had plans for Head but didn't implement them until he'd reached 30. I think he's diplomatically puzzled by Rohit.

400+ is massive on this pitch, which isn't flat. Jadeja has bowled 14 overs leaving the quicks to tire themselves out. Ashwin would at least have tied down an end, allowing the quicks more breathing space.

Tldr? Rohit fucked it.

Still not sure why the captaincy was taken away from Kohli. He seems a more natural and aggressive leader.

It must be like Joe Root having an alpha male brooding away in the dressing room in Stokes. I don't know how you'd manage either Stokes or Kohli.

So 469 plays 37/2 at tea, with Boland and Cummins bowling really well and Kohli playing like Crawley (bit unfair but the Crawley cut, as it is now known, gave him his only runs).

India need something huge from someone. Pujara and Kohli are good candidates but I wouldn't bet on either atm. India are miles behind.

Aussies all over India. Bowling really well. No respite (unlike the Indian attack).

With the exception of Khawaja and Lyon (his time will come) all of the Australian’s have contributed and most look in great nick. Ominous

India outplayed here. Aus are on it.

13 overs lost today to add to 5 from yesterday. We will have lost a whole session or more by the end of the match.

Dropped twice, hit twice. Somehow Thakur still there.

First time I've properly watched Boland. He's quicker than I realised. He's going to be a handful all summer.

That Smith-Head partnership looks decisive right now. It's not a flat wicket by any means. India really did bowl badly on day 1.

Last edited:
Yea, I wish Langer would stop talking. No wonder the Aussies booted him out.

Cringe.
Boring.
Grating.

Yea, I wish Langer would stop talking. No wonder the Aussies booted him out.

Cringe.
Boring.
Grating.

I think it's the cadence of the Aussie accent. I far prefer the English, NZ or Windies commentators. Hell even the Saffas are less grating than Ponting and Langer. Don't mind Hayden so much but he needs to chill out a bit too.

I like Ponting. Liked him as a player, like him as a commentator. He's insightful and generous. Shane Warne was great. Adam Gichrist is good. Jim Maxwell is ace. Aussies make good commentators.

Somehow, that was India's session. Dropped catches, another LBW off a no-ball. Thakur wearing as many as he hit.

And 22 overs. Something needs to be done about this. Yes, Thakur needed treatment twice. Give them an over for that. It's still seven short.

Did anyone else see that? The Aussies arrogantly walking off the field without even waiting for the third umpire's decision. And he's fucking hit it :D :facepalm:

85, 77,76. Overs each day. 238 overs. End of day 3 and we've lost over a session so far. Captains get fined and miss matches still don't they? Maybe Cummins will miss an Ashes test.

Anyway, India will have to get over 400 on a pitch that is cracking a bit and has been lucky not to crack bones. It's made for some exciting battles but it doesn't look good to have balls spitting onto the glove from a length.

With the change of innings, we've lost exactly one session so far. More to lose tomorrow, no doubt. You can't lose overs on the last day, so they might be there until about eight pm.

I don't mind it not being super fast when the play is hard and compelling, which this has been. But there have to be limits. Last two days, they've managed 12 an hour.

Willing to bet once the Aus lead passes 400 (anytime now) they'll engage in a bit of Bazball and maybe even reach a lead of 450.

India will be lucky to get 250.

Game on! Just. Shame Pujara is out. But 280 with seven wickets is still possible.

And there will be 90 overs tomorrow, so it's unlikely to be a draw.

Good declaration by Cummins. It's been a great contest from day 2 onwards.

Back
Top Bottom