Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

International Cricket

Aus win, so are now definites for the WTC. India need to win the last game to secure their place.

Terrible cricket wicket. India should receive a warning for it. We'll see.

I'm kind of glad the wicket backfired on India, though. That much turn combined with variable bounce makes batting a lottery. If you genuinely think you're the better team, it's not very sensible to produce a wicket like that. Gives the opposition a fighting chance.

Quite liking this new innovation in the WPL where the batter can ask for a review on a wide or a no-ball. Only twice.

England would have won that last test had that been in place.

Another thriller in NZ. Kiwis win at a quarter to eight in the evening on the last ball of the match. Most test matches nowadays may not go to the final day, but the best ones do.

We now know that the WTC final will be contested by India and Australia. Would have been great if SL had snuck in there. They've got a decent team right now, playing with belief.

I still worry for West Indies. They were pretty toothless in SA. Aside from playing England at home, when they always pull something off, they play with a complete absence of belief. I've no idea how they can change that, but it's sad to see.

Oh and lol at the Modi pantomime on day 1 in Ahmedabad. They had Modi and the Aus prime minister in attendance and they were so confident of breaking the world record test attendance (currently 91k at the MCG) that various Indian papers went ahead and published that they had. Problem is that the ground was clearly under half-full, so maybe 50k. Apparently thousands of tickets had been sent to local party officials with orders to sell them.

A few of these stories have now been taken down sadly. But this one's still there. Both lol and also wtf India. This is not good for democracy. There is a

Highest Attendance in Cricket Match: India vs Australia Ahmedabad Test creates RECORD for biggest crowd at Narendra Modi Stadium, CHECK out

Here's a pic of Narendra Modi at the Narendra Modi Stadium being presented with a framed photograph of Narendra Modi.

modiji_qc93.1248.jpg

Another thriller in NZ. Kiwis win at a quarter to eight in the evening on the last ball of the match. Most test matches nowadays may not go to the final day, but the best ones do.

Haha.. totally missed that one. New Zealand do seem to find themselves involved in a lot of these thrillers.

Boult smashing it. What a loss to NZ cricket.

If Boult commands so much attention and money in the IPL based purely upon his bowling - hee's not an all-rounder - then why has Jimmy never been picked up. They know Boult can't bat but they don't care. Has Anderson even ever tried?

Last edited:
Don't agree with this new 'impact player substitution' thing. They tried it in the BBL and dropped it after one season. Just choose your XI and live with it.

Ireland making a grand (if too late) fightback against Bangladesh. Massive first innings deficit. Then 13/4 in their second innings. Close day three an improbable, but slightest glimmer of outside hope, 133 ahead at 286/8 including a debut century for their wicket-keeper.

For a team that plays bugger all first class cricket (and no test cricket for years), that's more than admirable. Greatly helped by batsman's application and Bangladesh having no bowling plans seemingly. They took the new ball and used 4 different bowlers in the first five overs.

Ireland making a grand (if too late) fightback against Bangladesh. Massive first innings deficit. Then 13/4 in their second innings. Close day three an improbable, but slightest glimmer of outside hope, 133 ahead at 286/8 including a debut century for their wicket-keeper.

For a team that plays bugger all first class cricket (and no test cricket for years), that's more than admirable. Greatly helped by batsman's application and Bangladesh having no bowling plans seemingly. They took the new ball and used 4 different bowlers in the first five overs.
I watched a little bit of that this morning. Shakib barely bowled himself, which was weird. Great fight from Ireland, though. They're not out of it. Bangladesh are clearly favourites but I could see them ballsing this up. Bangladesh at home are a strong team in all formats nowadays. Ireland have done well.

Clearly Ireland won't progress if they don't get matches. Not sure if the future holds too much hope, although Covid was partly the reason for no tests for so long. At least they have another in England this summer.

Same goes for Afghanistan, although I have to say that I think they should be kicked out of international cricket at the moment. For as long as they don't allow girls to play the game, they shouldn't be in the international fold. I'm quite surprised that there appears to be no call for this to happen from anyone.

Same goes for Afghanistan, although I have to say that I think they should be kicked out of international cricket at the moment. For as long as they don't allow girls to play the game, they shouldn't be in the international fold. I'm quite surprised that there appears to be no call for this to happen from anyone.

I've heard some discussion about this. The point seems to be that unlike the Apartheid SA regime for example, the current regime there does not give the slightest toss about whether it has a cricket team (or would arguably prefer not to even). So there's no leverage or pressure to be had through banning the men's team, you just have the negative effects of that ban without any positive.

Last edited:
I've heard some discussion about this. The point seems to be that unlike the Apartheid SA regime for example, the current regime there does not give the slightest toss about whether it has a cricket team (or would arguably prefer not to even). So there's no leverage or pressure to be had through banning the men's team, you just have the negative effects of that ban without any positive.
That's probably true. Not a reason not to ban them, though, imo.

I'm not a fan generally of calls to ban teams from international competition. Just having a nasty regime isn't good enough for me, and it's all too easy to call hypocrisy when the calls come from countries that start wars like the UK.

But I am a fan of sports associations insisting that everyone should be allowed to participate in their sport, and banning anyone who doesn't pass that very simple test. It might not help Afghan girls and women directly, but imo it does help girls and women everywhere indirectly if you enforce certain basic standards like that.

Last edited:

Ireland absolutely hammered by Sri Lanka inside three days. Thrashings can happen of course but it's really not great for Ireland to not be competitive while they're trying to get established as a genuine test team.

Ireland absolutely hammered by Sri Lanka inside three days. Thrashings can happen of course but it's really not great for Ireland to not be competitive while they're trying to get established as a genuine test team.

They just need to play matches, and they've got another one next week then a game in England in June. So that will be four tests in three countries within a few months. If they are to progress, they need to play. Would be good if they got at least a couple of home tests and a couple of tours each year.

They're not the first team to struggle in their early test years. New Zealand were uncompetitive for a very long time - it took them 26 years and 44 matches before they won a game. Sri Lanka did a bit better in the 80s but also struggled to get matches. Bangladesh were awful for basically their first decade of tests.

I can't see Ireland ever having the chance to develop in the format. They're not exactly going to get lucrative tours of Australia, England or India. There simply isn't room in the schedule for a low box office side like them. It's got totally insane now. Saudi Arabia's now in talks to launch their own T20 league with all the cash that goes with that.

They're playing England this year. They're not going to get full tours, but one-off matches for now. That's how both Sri Lanka and Bangladesh started.

I agree that it's hard to see how they get a regular set of fixtures, but you have to ask, was there a plan when they and Afghanistan were granted test status? Ireland has scrapped its first class competition, which is a blow. You have players making their first class debuts in test matches.

Even New Zealand only get thrown the odd bone by the big three really so I can't see how Ireland's going to get more than the odd test. In saying that, there's a huge Irish (fond of a pint) population here so it could actually be quite profitable for the local orgs.

Back
Top Bottom