Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

International Cricket

This isn't meant as a criticism, but England's new approach will lead to the occasional thumping, just as Morgan's odi team sometimes got thrashed. 30 or 40 all out could easily happen.

I don't mind that necessarily - if you're going to lose, there are no brownie points for losing slowly. But we need to be prepared for it, I think.

This isn't meant as a criticism, but England's new approach will lead to the occasional thumping, just as Morgan's odi team sometimes got thrashed. 30 or 40 all out could easily happen.

I don't mind that necessarily - if you're going to lose, there are no brownie points for losing slowly. But we need to be prepared for it, I think.

They did already get the one very bad beating off South Africa last summer, if they're winning otherwise it won't be a problem even if the occasional defeat turns out to be a complete thrashing. If they lose a few in a row it will be tested though.

One thing with the comparison to the ODI team and how they've made it work is that it leans very heavily on batting depth. England have been able to commit more than others to that very aggressive top order approach not so much because they have the best batters but because they have the all rounders lower down who'll still get a score if they lose early wickets. There's a potential conflict there somewhere down the line because you really need the best bowlers in a test team don't you.

One thing with the comparison to the ODI team and how they've made it work is that it leans very heavily on batting depth. England have been able to commit more than others to that very aggressive top order approach not so much because they have the best batters but because they have the all rounders lower down who'll still get a score if they lose early wickets. There's a potential conflict there somewhere down the line because you really need the best bowlers in a test team don't you.

I can't think of a team that the new England approach would suit more than the current Aussie side, if all fit. They have one of the best pace attacks in the world, who if encouraged to pitch it up and possibly ship runs and it would be fine but will take 20 wickets. And their batting line-up is the best and most attacking in the world. They bat right down to Cummins. And most of them smash it about in T20 leagues when not on test duty.

I think they'll rethink their approach. There have been admiring tweets from top current and former Aussie players. And as I said earlier, if Zak Crawley (who somehow earned a BBL contract off all this) can do it then anyone can.

I’m loving the optics of England playing golf, going bungee jumping, cutting the tour matches down to one 2-dayer, being super chilled and content with life.

The Aussies getting mugged off and fucked over in the heat and chaos of India, desperately trying to keep a cool appearance.

Excellent run up to the Ashes :cool:

Aussies appear to be overthinking things. They left out Head due to poor form in the nets, despite coming off a stellar home summer. And his replacement got out first ball. They haven't picked Agar due to poor form in the nets, so they have two off-spinners against a team with mostly right-handers. Not sure the nets have helped their cause here.

I’m loving the optics of England playing golf, going bungee jumping, cutting the tour matches down to one 2-dayer, being super chilled and content with life.

The Aussies getting mugged off and fucked over in the heat and chaos of India, desperately trying to keep a cool appearance.

Excellent run up to the Ashes :cool:

The wine's not bad in that region of NZ either. Not so good in India.

I think McCullum owns a vineyard or two actually :D

I can't think of a team that the new England approach would suit more than the current Aussie side, if all fit. They have one of the best pace attacks in the world, who if encouraged to pitch it up and possibly ship runs and it would be fine but will take 20 wickets. And their batting line-up is the best and most attacking in the world. They bat right down to Cummins. And most of them smash it about in T20 leagues when not on test duty.

I think they'll rethink their approach. There have been admiring tweets from top current and former Aussie players. And as I said earlier, if Zak Crawley (who somehow earned a BBL contract off all this) can do it then anyone can.

I bet the conflict between the macho appeal of swaggering out there and smashing it around, and the macho instinct not to want to be seen to be copying England, is causing a few internal struggles.

I still think 'bazball' on the batting side is at least in part informed by the shortcomings of England's batting. The likes of Crawley and Bairstow, and to a lesser extent Pope, have technical weaknesses. They can't trust their defence. So better just to attack. It's not something every team should necessarily want to fully emulate.

If anything the bowling side of it is more interesting - be prepared to concede runs to get wickets. Leach finished the second-highest wicket taker in tests last year, with an average of 38. His overs certainly moved games along - for both teams.

I agree the bowling side of it is fascinating. They're taking 20 wickets every test. Must be a bit of a kick in the teeth to sometimes go for 16 an over though.

Always worth another post of this. Crazy.

England ended the 2022 calendar year with a run rate of 4.13 per over from 15 Tests. An unheard of number in Test cricket and one not seen for 112 years.

It is the second highest run rate ever recorded for a calendar year since Test cricket started back in 1877.

Only Australia bettered the mind-boggling number in 1910 when they had a run rate of 4.47 per over, that figure however came from two Tests.

Throughout Test history, the magical four runs per over mark has been achieved three times with Australia in 2003 (12 Tests) coming in third with 4.08 runs per over.

I agree the bowling side of it is fascinating. They're taking 20 wickets every test.

Every one except for one. Over about 10 tests now. And that's because they have time to, because of the batting approach. We don't have anything like the best (fit) line-up. LBJ's point about Leach

Leach finished the second-highest wicket taker in tests last year, with an average of 38.

sums it up.

By the way, those dry patches on the wicket - the 'doctoring' by those cheating Indians - were responsible for zero of the 11 wickets today.

Where are the crowds?

This is India's biggest series and the stadium's half empty. Theyve tried to pack it out with schoolkids, which is never a good sign.

So we know the result in Nagpur by the end of day two. Can't blame an unfair pitch or anything like that. Just that India are so much better in these conditions than anybody else. I can see this series being 4-0.

Steve Smith dropping two sitters in the slips was quite enjoyable.

There's basically no point playing seamers in India, not Aussie ones anyway. Just load the team with spin.

I watched a little bit and Boland was getting reverse. There's no bounce, but that means a straight delivery is going to hit the stumps. Aus were a little unlucky today with some lbws that could have gone their way. Dropping sitters doesn't help, of course.

There is a point in seamers. And they don't need to be lightning quick either - Anderson's shown that. I think both teams have it right playing two seamers. One big difference is that India have three frontline spinners, all of whom can bat, while Aus have two, neither of whom can bat. India's three spinners cover three variations. Aus's two spinners are the same type.

Aus have some thinking to do. They don't trust their left-arm spin option and I don't think they even have a leg spin option available.

Edit to correct. Patel isn't a leggie as I thought. So India have two variations.

I might change my mind if it becomes a non-contest with Australia all out for 60 while India score 400.

Ok so 90 plays 400, kind of. Nothing at all to do with the pitch, or at least minimal. Aus completely outplayed and probably didn't even pick their best team.

Annihilation indeed.

A brave new world for women's cricket. They're getting paid 10 times as much as they do in the Hundred so hopefully that trend will continue and we will see an end to that absurd format.

Although in saying that, Sophie Ecclestone is still only getting £180k, which is dwarfed by even bench players in the men's game.

Reading the reports it's interesting Australia appeared to go out with one plan only, to sweep. Against Jadeja and Ashwin on that pitch. And some of them can't even sweep.

Suicide.

How long until they give in and adopt Bazball. I mean if you're gonna be bowled out for 100 odd, at least do it with a bit of gusto. They can't win the series. Might as well start now.

How long until they give in and adopt Bazball. I mean if you're gonna be bowled out for 100 odd, at least do it with a bit of gusto. They can't win the series. Might as well start now.

They tried it a bit, going for 5 runs an over for while. It didnt work out for them tho. Sad times.

India collapse against Aus in what looks like it could be a two-day test. The wicket is a disgrace. Sharp turn from the off, ok. But variable bounce as well? It looks like a 5th day pitch - some spitting up, others grubbing low. I don't think that's great for test cricket.

Yeh, it's turning square. Aussies have loaded their side with spinners though so.... lol at India. Who are actually even worse than the Aussies on a personal/arrogance level. Just awful.

Back
Top Bottom