Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

International Cricket

Saved by the light, and tbf he always knew that would happen - bowl the quick and end the game. Pointless gesture but I guess we got seven overs of fun at the end.

NZ went old school yesterday by ensuring they wouldn't lose. Couldn't quite force victory today, although Pakistan rode their luck. Pudding of a pitch again. They do need to sort that out. Wickets need to have some pace in them to produce good cricket.

Maybe an element of feeling some pressure to emulate England's approach or at least being seen to do so? They've given themselves a theoretical chance of a win there even if a minuscule one.

NZ would/should have won that. Which in itself is a good effort on that pitch. I hope they re-evaulate and let their batsmen let rip from the start next time.

No fucking idea what that declaration was about. Wasn't watching. What was the consensus? Did they expect to bowl NZ out? I mean.

Maybe an element of feeling some pressure to emulate England's approach or at least being seen to do so? They've given themselves a theoretical chance of a win there even if a minuscule one.

I think that would have to be one of the greatest collapses of all time. Warne and Murali combined, on a turning pitch, would have struggled to achieve that.

NZ would/should have won that. Which in itself is a good effort on that pitch. I hope they re-evaulate and let their batsmen let rip from the start next time.

No fucking idea what that declaration was about. Wasn't watching. What was the consensus? Did they expect to bowl NZ out? I mean.
Took everyone by surprise. Pakistan were just about in a place of safety with two wickets left. It would have been handshakes all round very soon.

But it's bizarre in all respects. We all know that the light goes at around 12:30 our time, so there is no way they would have got all the overs in. So no time for a NZ charge really and certainly no time for a Pakistan win. It was pointless rather than reckless given the option of bowling a quick bowler in fading light to end the game, which is inevitably what happened.

Only thing I can think of is that Babar was trying to change the narrative at the end of the game from Pakistan clinging on to a draw to Pakistan failing to force a win. Not fooling anyone, though.

Last edited:
Ahem... elephant in the room. But I think they must be looking at betting patterns shortly before that declaration?

If I were a NZ fan, I think I'd be most disappointed by the over rate today. They were pushing for a win, with spinners from both ends for nearly the whole day, but they still didn't manage to bowl 90 overs in 6.5 hours. That's really poor game management from NZ. Pakistan had every reason to slow everything down, but as the fielding side, NZ should have been able to contrive 15 overs per hour. They didn't even manage 14 per hour.

My first thought on seeing the car was that he's lucky to be alive. Sounds like he's not too bad. Ligament injuries can be buggers, though.

351768.4.jpg

Testament to modern car safety, the way the front crushed up like that.

Hope he recovers quickly. He's a ballsy little genius. He was playing Bazball before Baz was a twinkle in the ECB's eye, and getting away with it. 100 in 70 balls, or 5 in 3 balls with an idiotic attempt at a scoop. Who cares anymore :D

How is a Covid positive player starting for Australia?

They even made him stand apart from his team mates during the anthems. Yet he's gonna come in at 6. Covid's back - and what's changed since Djokovic?

Aus cruising along at home yet again. Looks likely to be five crushing victories out of five for the season.

And I know we've been spoiled recently, but even pre-Stokes, NZ's approach today looks negative. They're making sure they can't lose again rather than pushing for a win. Disappointing.

Cummins declares when Khawaja’s on 195. What a dick move. I wonder if he would done that to Warner or Smith?

Right move. It would have wasted four or five overs. Very bad look to bat two overs then declare. Do that and have SA nine down tomorrow? If I'd been Khawaja I'd have been telling him to declare.

What would Stokes have done? I think we know he would not have wasted five overs out of sentiment. 195* is still a fine score.

Eta: and it's not a dead rubber. Aus win this and they're in the WTC final whatever happens in India.

Last edited:
Love the Pakistan crowds. They're holding up banners with pictures of Williamson, Southee etc. Waving both countries' flags.

So much more civilised than Birmingham on a Friday night :beer: :D

So NZ beat Pakistan in a series in Pakistan for the first time in 15 years or something. Puts England's success into perspective considering how limited NZ are really in the quality of personnel. These have virtually been away series for Pakistan though when you think about it - they've been playing in the UAE for years.

NZ goes to India next. That'll be fun.

The Indians are up to shenanigans with the wicket in Nagpur. The Aus side is stacked with left-handers and the Indian right-handers. Where have they been watering the wicket? :D

If true, that's bang out of order. Home side's prerogative to prepare the kind of pitch they want, but it should be prepared as one whole pitch of whatever type they choose, not two.

India are generally a bit cowardly when it comes to preparing pitches. After England beat them in the first test last time out on a good batting pitch, it wasn't a coincidence that the rest of the series was played on raging bunsens. It seems they'd rather win a test match inside three days than risk losing a more interesting game that goes all five days.

Last edited:
Is any of this fair? Who knows, but it's the logical outcome of the competitive zeal that drives professional sport - no one would willingly cede an inch to their opponent.

Good article. Cummins has been pretty laid back about it. It just is home advantage. England won't prepare pitches for spinners if India tour.

I might change my mind if it becomes a non-contest with Australia all out for 60 while India score 400. But I don't think it will. And Australia don't have to pick all those left-handers.

Don't most people agree that a good cricket pitch offers something for batters and bowlers? The most memorable tests usually last longer than three days.

I would say that the ingredients for a good pitch are: good pace and carry; even bounce on an even surface at the start, perhaps allowing some sideways movement off the seam; rough appearing later on in the game.

That instinctively feels over the line where 'home advantage' turns into 'unfair' to me, although I don't know if there are any actual rules against it. No issues with there being more of a spinning pitch, that's fine, but preparing particular areas of it like that? That's a big step further IMO.

Let's see. I think too much is being made of it. And let's not forget Australia's two best batsmen, number 1 and 2 in the world, are both right-handers.

Bit weird that after being bowled out in a slog-fest in NZ today (scoring at 7), they declined to take the field to finish the last 20 overs bowling at the NZ side under lights. Surely the point of this shit is to get experience of local conditions (and not just for the batsmen)

The Aussies won the toss too. Its going to be long, grinding, soul destroying series for them. Bless.

The Aussies won the toss too. Its going to be long, grinding, soul destroying series for them. Bless.

Well every match will be over in four days max so at least they wont have to put in too many hours. I don't know why they don't just take the Bazball approach. What's the point of being knocked over for 170 at a rate of 2.5..? They've got the batsmen to do it. If they can teach Zak fucking Crawley to go out there and smash it I'm sure Davey Warner could manage it.

Well every match will be over in four days max so at least they wont have to put in too many hours. I don't know why they don't just take the Bazball approach. What's the point of being knocked over for 170 at a rate of 2.5..? They've got the batsmen to do it. If they can teach Zak fucking Crawley to go out there and smash it I'm sure Davey Warner could manage it.
I tend to agree. However, they fell in a heap from 160 for 5 to 170-odd all out. So that didn't help. Also, Warner fell to the new ball.

Smith and Labuschagne both scored a few. I wouldn't try to tell those two too much about how best to make runs, tbh. They know better than anyone.

Also, it's still early days for Bazball. It's only been tried in England and on Pakistani roads so far. We'll see if they can do it on turners in India next year.

The point of Bazball as far as I can tell is perfectly illustrated here. They still would have got at least 170 blasting it around, and in all likelihood far more, but possibly been bowled out earlier, but who cares. Their top order is incredible. Let em loose.

I really can't wait to see if they swallow their pride in the Ashes and adopt it.

Back
Top Bottom