Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

International Cricket

I just checked. Ferguson is getting paid £1.5m for 6 weeks of cricket, bowling 4 overs a game. I don't know much a kiwi test player gets paid for their six 8 over spells a day over 5 days but im assuming it's not quite as generous as that. And far more gruelling. I love test cricket but it can't compete.

That's insane. Cant really blame these guys for cashing in. I'd eschew test cricket too in their position, sad to say.

So he'd be on £45k a year playing test cricket for NZ. Or £1.5m for 6 weeks in India.
Yeah - who can blame them for choosing franchises?
A generation of cricketers are / will grow up totally contracted to white ball cricket - or certainly looking down that route.
We seldom get to see our top players involved in four day county games nowadays.
They also don't appear as they are contracted to the ECB.
Like you - I would not be so noble to turn down the money if I was in their position.

What a brilliant tournament. So many close finishes. And the final - two huge centuries, some amazing fielding. I must confess I've never paid much attention to the women's game but I watched a lot of this and it was great.

A generation of cricketers are / will grow up totally contracted to white ball cricket - or certainly looking down that route.
We seldom get to see our top players involved in four day county games nowadays.
Like you - I would not be so noble to turn down the money if I was in their position.

Their careers are so short - retiring at about 32 (or 70 if you're jimmy) I really cannot blame them, although the ECB contracted players are obvs on a very decent earn compared to every other side in the world.

I think the thing is that although it's often framed in these sorts of terms it's not like there's a strong moral or ethical dimension to playing red ball over white ball cricket is there? Maybe some people might see there being one for representing your nation over some franchise but even that's a bit weak to be honest, and when it comes to the form of the game you play? I mean I think test cricket is the best form by miles but I don't think there's any obligation on anyone else to agree with me, and particularly not someone who makes a living smashing it around in white ball cricket. If you want test cricket to thrive then you need to look at the incentives for players I think, there's no point grumbling at their continued failure to see things in the same way fans do.

tbh there are still plenty of players who maintain their test careers alongside franchise riches despite the relative lack of rewards. Many of the New Zealanders do this (Williamson, Boult, Southee, Jamieson, and before them the likes of Taylor and McCullum) - they earn way more in the IPL than they make in the rest of the year, but that doesn't diminish their commitment to NZ, and the NZ board are pragmatic in allowing players to fly in for games at very short notice. And there are examples of players skipping an IPL season to concentrate on red ball skills - Kyle Jamieson's just done it.

Some way needs to be found to face up to reality and create a proper window for the IPL in return for windows for test series, at least those that are part of the ITC. What devalues test cricket most is having series like the current SA-Ban series in which all the SA IPL stars are absent. Indian players are fortunate in that regard. If you look at someone like Virat Kohli, he basically plays IPL and for India and virtually nothing else. Most of India's test stars follow that pattern.

I don't think Jamieson would have been picked up in the IPL. He was the most expensive international player in the last season's aborted IPL and didn't really perform. He had only played a few T20 games in his career so it was a bit of a gamble to buy him. Got thumped around the ground and his batting was sub par. He's a test player, not white ball.

I agree though that the boards around the world have to recognise that franchise cricket is king now and make windows for it. The guys playing now never got to see Gordon Greenidge and Malcolm Marshall slowly decimate a side over five days, why would they be interested. Sadly.

Jamieson's contract last year was rather rash. Happens with fast bowlers particularly, it seems. Tymal Mills was another expensive failed punt a few years ago.

He's a good example of a player who came to the notice of the IPL via test performances, though (Moeen Ali was another last year - rather better value for money). I think Jamieson could be a fine white ball bowler - he has more than a touch of Joel Garner about him, and accurate yorkers from that height can be mightily effective. But I agree that test cricket is where he should really be above all. Maybe he thinks that as well - and he now has the luxury of being able to choose without worrying about money.

But I don't think it's about recognising that franchise cricket is king exactly. It's merely about recognising that test cricket needs to coexist with it - and in particular it needs to coexist with the IPL. Scheduling test series during the IPL is foolish.

ETA: Test matches involving Malcolm Marshall often didn't make it to five days. ;) But he's a good example to pull out. If he'd been around today, no doubt he'd have been a big draw in the IPL, like Dale Steyn was. But like Steyn, Marshall probably wouldn't have shone quite so brightly in white ball cricket. Their genius came into focus in the long format. White ball cricket without the red ball game alongside it would lose much of its lustre.

tbf, and i was watching that live, it was a terrible decision. it went to the TMO, snicko didnt register any noise, but you could clearly see it deviate off the bottom edge as he tried to sweep it. just a failure of the technology but the umpire should have the balls to overrule it.

After losing the ODI series in Sri Lanka, Australia have finally taken control of the 1st Test in Galle on day 2.

Cummins hit two sixes and a four (one six was off the final ball) off an over and the umpires immediately ended play for bad light. :facepalm:

Bad light is the one of things that really fucks me off about test cricket and probably puts off newcomers to the sport. These are elite cricket players. They can play in slightly darker conditions.

Bad light is the one of things that really fucks me off about test cricket and probably puts off newcomers to the sport. These are elite cricket players. They can play in slightly darker conditions.
If it's darker, you pick up the ball later. Doesn't matter how good you are - that's the physics/biology of it.

And tbf things are much better than they used to be. In the 80s, I remember whole days in England being lost to bad light.

If it's darker, you pick up the ball later. Doesn't matter how good you are - that's the physics/biology of it.

And tbf things are much better than they used to be. In the 80s, I remember whole days in England being lost to bad light.

Well yes I get that. But players are getting hit in the head in bright daylight. It should just be factored in to the game IMO. Most international grounds have lights which they can use.

As for a spot of drizzle and dragging huge time consuming covers on, well. Harden up.

Ireland had the match in the bag yesterday. 20 needed off the last over. NZ won with one wicket in hand.

NZ won by one wicket with a ball to spare. Great match. Bracewell is quite a batsman when let loose.

Watching the Netherlands-Pakistan game. I'm fairly certain not one player or member of the Dutch coaching staff is Dutch born. Kind of silly. I can cope with a few players in an international side being mercenaries but this is pretty ridiculous. The keeper, Edwards (just flown in from Melbourne) is quite good mind you. Their spinner Pringle aint bad. And O'Dowd too.

Sydney Thunder (Hales, Roussow etc) have just produced the lowest ever score in T20. Turkey used to hold the record with their effort of 21 against the Czech Republic.

Bowled out for 15 in 35 balls chasing 140 :D

Over in 2 days. Aus win by 6 wickets. 35-4, top scorer Smith with 6. Wides got 15. Rabada took all 4.

Back
Top Bottom