Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How do you have your kebab?

Of course, how do you think people in Turkey/Middle East/Greece/North Africa do it?
I mean especially bear in mind that some of that population is Muslim and don't drink alcohol.
I did say Standard 2am chip shop ones not fancy ones from restaurants. I meant here and not what you've strangely extended it to.

I don't for a second believe that a load of typically chatty cab drivers would suddenly freeze and be unable to answer the "salad?" question negatively in the kebab shop.
Again i never said that. Talk about twisting things :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I worked in very busy cab office on Clapham high street that got very busy with pissed up punters who brought in kebabs/ chips etc from the the chippie 8 doors away.

For clarity

Do people eat kebabs when sober? I don't think i've ever eaten one sober and probably couldn't. Standard 2am chip shop ones not fancy ones from restaurants. I used to work in a busy cab office, the waiting area on Friday and Saturday night was always covered in dumped salad from the kebab crew. Piles of it on the floor but rarely a bit of meat was dropped.

Where have i mentioned drivers?

I'll go and tell the Turkish blokes who run the local kebab shop/chippy that their kebabs aren't Turkish or posh enough to be considered actual kebabs then.

Can't wait to hear their thoughts on that :D

Again i never said that. Talk about twisting things :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I worked in very busy cab office on Clapham high street that got very busy with pissed up punters who brought in kebabs/ chips etc from the the chippie 8 doors away.

For clarity

Do people eat kebabs when sober? I don't think i've ever eaten one sober and probably couldn't. Standard 2am chip shop ones not fancy ones from restaurants. I used to work in a busy cab office, the waiting area on Friday and Saturday night was always covered in dumped salad from the kebab crew. Piles of it on the floor but rarely a bit of meat was dropped.

i've had a kebab when sober. but it's about 35 years since i had a doner while sober. maybe 21 since i had a sober shish. it's a very long time since i had a kebab of any sort

i've had a kebab when sober. but it's about 35 years since i had a doner while sober. maybe 21 since i had a sober shish. it's a very long time since i had a kebab of any sort
I had my first sober kebak at the age of 35, it was vile. Had a shish more recently and it was very nice, probably cause the meat was of good quality.

Last edited:

For clarity

I seem to remember only eating a kebab sober once and it was a great disappointment to me ( we're talking standard chippy ones here). There was something missing probably alcohol. They are great for soaking up booze when you have had too much of it. I remember getting on the bus back home once carrying my kebab and the driver telling me if I threw up he would make me clean it. I took great pride in showing him my finished kebab wrapper as I fell off the bus.
It's been a long time since I was drunk enough to need to eat a kebab though

I'll go and tell the Turkish blokes who run the local kebab shop/chippy that their kebabs aren't Turkish or posh enough to be considered actual kebabs then.
Make sure you don't twist things like you did with my post
:rolleyes:

I’ve never had a doner kebab.

I usually go for a shish or a kofte, but I have to be fairly sure of the place to order a lamb shish because it can go wrong if the meat's too tough - for trying out somewhere new a chicken shish or a lamb kofte is a bit of a safer bet.

I'm way overdue for a kebab, I will have to strongly consider it next time we decide to get a takeaway. We don't get takeaways that often though and I do love fish & chips or Indian takeaway too so it's always a tough decision what to have!

When I lived in Hackney the kebab shop across the road - which was a perfectly ordinary but exceptional quality open til 2am for the post-pub crowd style kebab takeaway place - used to do an utterly sublime mixed kebab where they'd box it all up for you if you wanted to take it home rather than eat it on the go - meat, salad, tubs of chilli and garlic sauce, rice, chips, pide - enough for 2 days worth if you got the mixed grill which involved chicken shish, lamb shish, lamb kofte, lamb doner, and grilled kidneys.

Going to get misty-eyed about the price for all that now too, although tbf it was more than 25 years ago :D

Cheeky mid week one. Not bad, but they left out the bag of salad (they do it seperate so it doesn't cook) and the naan wasn't quite as good as normal. They do a nice discount for ordering through their website and collecting rather then using one of the apps.

PXL_20230725_183358167.MP.jpg

I have just realised that I can get a kebab in my local town.

Confirmed it Monday, might get one this weekend, Donner all the salads and lashings of garlic sauce ,, will I be able to get it home still hot, that is the question!

:)

I have just realised that I can get a kebab in my local town.

Confirmed it Monday, might get one this weekend, Donner all the salads and lashings of garlic sauce ,, will I be able to get it home still hot, that is the question!

:)

It's the main reason I collect them. Nobody has a greater intrest then me in making sure it's fresh. Salad goes minging though unless they're willing to bag it for you. Slow cooked lettuce is a bit grim

Nearest kebab place is half an hours walk, think I’d be better off getting one delivered. There’s an amazing kebab van in Bracknell so next time I’m staying at my mates I’ll go and get one there I think :)

It's the main reason I collect them. Nobody has a greater intrest then me in making sure it's fresh. Salad goes minging though unless they're willing to bag it for you. Slow cooked lettuce is a bit grim
In Barcelona they do a thing called a "Gyros in Pita" which you can eat easily with your hands. Don't know why they don't do them here cause they are lush!

Back
Top Bottom