Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Things that annoy you about your house

Leave the Artex alone, it has asbestos in it. The polystyrene tiles need removed ASAP.

They stopped putting asbestos in Atex back in the 80s, these ceilings were done in the late 90s, he tested them and they are OK, .

So, they don't take it down, just seal it using a PVA solution before plastering over.

They stopped putting asbestos in Atex back in the 80s, these ceilings were done in the late 90s, he tested them and they are OK, .

So, they don't take it down, just seal it using a PVA solution before plastering over.
On "my dream home" (in America) when they want to remove popcorn ceilings (artex?) they just spray it with water and scrape it off. Might be worth a try.

One thing that annoys me about British bathrooms is there's never any power sockets anywhere. Yet this doesn't seem to be an issue if I'm on the continent, or in the USA.

Yeah I know, safety regs. But they should sort this out. I'll take my chances. I don't see an epidemic of bathroom electrocutions happening in Europe, and they have the same (or similar) voltages.
I'm in Portugal and my bathrooms don't have power sockets either.

The lights on the landing are controlled by a switch at the top and bottom of the stairs. So far, so good.

The switch upstairs only works if the switch downstairs is switched on :confused:

Also, the switch downstairs has two switches - the one for upstairs is furthest away from the light, which isn't annoying, but makes no sense.

Here's a highly detailed diagram. Letters are lights. Letters in square brackets are switches :) / :mad:
Code:
A  

[A]
___
   |_                      B
     |_
       |_          [B|A]
         |_________

When we designed the kitchen, my other half was in a massive panic about not having enough storage and NO he would not have the cabinet above the sink being higher up because WHAT IF WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH STORAGE????

Reader, we have more then enough storage and I hate that the bottom of the cabinet above the sink is at eye level.

Probably got an asbestos issue with artexed halls, landings and ceilings. Also asbestos ceiling in the utility room (ex-garage). So these need doing and will cost.

Not enough sockets.

Some former owners obviously thought they were good at DIY. We already had to get someone in to sort out their shoddy electrics after a scary incident a few years and also paid a fortune to get the bathroom sorted, which has turned out to not be quite the quality job it seemed straight after (Wickes for the name and shame). That just leaves their crappy kitchen extension to tear down and redo. The cooker is rubbish, the extractor fan doesn't work (creating a mould problem elsewhere) and there's not enough storage.

Other than that, it's a nice house.

Oh, and all the lazy fuckers queuing outside in their cars during rush-hour can fuck off as well.

I have bare floor boards which have been sanded. They look great but they're crafty and we get a draft whipping up through them because there's a void under the house.
Also the extension at the front of the house, which has a loo and shower in, is freezing. The radiator isn't sufficient to heat it and we get condensation running off the toilet. In the summer however, it's like a sauna.

It needs so much work doing. Ideally a new roof, new roof on the stable, new windows, a rewire, upgrade the central heating, remodel the main bathroom. Then complete the gardens.

I'd like to remodel the outbuilding, make it a studio or gym. I'd like to turn the stable into a small, one bedroom house.

Inherited a large, very old house is very challenging.

To be honest there’s nothing that annoys me about my flat. It’s small, cosy, cheap to heat and easy to clean.

Ooh! I know! The shower screen leaks and every morning I have to wipe the water up off the floor by the toilet. I have a dedicated towel for it.

It's very draughty and most of the sash windows only open on the bottom half because people have painted them shut over the years even though I asked them not to 😬

Also the bathroom is very cramped.

It's a great flat though, I really can't complain.

Our house is also a very deep terrace which means the hallways are quite dark although not as fucking dark as when we moved in and all the woodwork was dark brown and there wasn't even a light fitting in the middle of the downstairs one (we've since added 2 downlighters)

My house is more or less perfect I have very little to complain about. Some of the disadvantages are also advantages (for example my back garden slopes as the house is on a hill, but this allows a small garden to feel bigger I think. It also means the front garden slopes which means added privacy)

A couple of small niggles.

No extractor fan / hood in the kitchen despite there being space for it and the kitchen not being that old. Not a job I can do myself, not really worth paying for it, just keep the back door open when cooking, probably won’t do anything about it until I get a new kitchen tbh

Garage roof leaks, so can’t store anything in there, which makes the storage I do have in the house and my shed cramped. It’s in a block 30 metres from my house so not the most convenient of places to store stuff anyway so not a big deal really.

Not much but given we've lived here 24 years we've pretty much changed everything that we might have initially disliked. We moved here because of the kids though and they've all buggered off (Youngest comes home from Uni during holidays) so it seems big and empty now without them. I would like to start thinking about buying somewhere smaller but Mrs Q is dead set against the idea.

Lack of garden, balcony too small.
No bathtub
No sofa.
No room for a reading desk and chair.
Too near airport and under flight path.
Owning only an eighth of the property.

I'm sick of being involved in property maintenance. Lawn, snow removal, tree trimming and removal, etc, etc. I don't have a large property. I wish I had far less..

The worst thing though is the tilted shelf of the hand sink in the bathroom. No soapdish or bottle will stay on it. Big design fault.

No bath
It’s a bit “night time economy noisy” in the summer

People thrown out the pub/club along the road regularly try and climb back in over my yard fence. Lodger number one was having a spliff in the yard at the weekend (0300) and a climber appeared bleeding over the security spikes and threatened to kill him.

He retreated into the house locking the bloke in the yard and phoned the police who turned up mob handed to find a bloodied drunk bloke in the alleyway after climbing back over the security spikes

The roof just cost me 3800 quid
The cast iron toilet down pipe is leaking into down stairs and is probably gonna cost something similar to cut out and fix

Oh it’s unmortgagable…

Aprt from that it’s my spirit home 👍

We're getting the bathroom redone in a couple of months and having the bath taken out and a bigger shower put in...

Aye, honestly our bath is completely redundant as we both have mobility issues and can't get in and out of it. Not been used in years now.
If I were planning to stay here the rest of my life, I'd probably have it taken out and replaced with a 2nd loo.
As we've got older we've had a need for fewer baths and more loos.
(We already have a shower cubicle separate from the bath).

Back
Top Bottom