Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cooking secrets you wished you'd known about sooner.

I wholeheartedly second the use of scissors, actually for loads of cooking
Scissors for cutting up pizza.
Oh! Jam a knife under the lid of a new jar you can't open to break the vacuum. It's the best way by far.
I use a fork.
If you're using a biscuit tin to store or transport a cake, flip the tin upside-down first so the cake is sitting on the lid and you don't have to try and reach down the tiny gap between cake & tin sides to take it out.
I do this, but if you are giving the cake to someone, or anyone else is moving it, make sure they understand what you have done and don't flip it the right way up thinking you've made a mistake. Specially if it's iced.

I do this, but if you are giving the cake to someone, or anyone else is moving it, make sure they understand what you have done and don't flip it the right way up thinking you've made a mistake. Specially if it's iced.
Cross-posted :D

If it's not a really nice borrowed tin and it's at risk of being moved by idiots, I'll even tape it closed in case they try picking the tin up by just its sides.

Do you have one of those special curved herb chopping boards with the curved chopping knife thing? I mean, a lot of the time just tearing the herbs by hand works best, but that herb chopper is fun to use for the rocking motion and crunching sound, and it does make them easier to put in the pot.

A mezzaluna! Yeah i do but generally find a knife is the best thing.

If you're using a biscuit tin to store or transport a cake, flip the tin upside-down first so the cake is sitting on the lid and you don't have to try and reach down the tiny gap between cake & tin sides to take it out.
Be sure to tell other people that's what you've done.

ETA: I see you've already dealt with this point! I do it too.

Bit annoying these days that Xmas sweet and biscuit tubs don't tend to be nice tins.

I use a big plastic Jacob's Crackers box for home made cake storage and always put the cake on the lid, difficult to retrieve/cut otherwise!

I've always done it because it just seemed obvious to me, but it's a great way of making even people who are really good at baking think you must be some kind of cake genius :thumbs:

Usually take the precaution of taping a THIS WAY UP note to the tin as well if it'll be around other people.
That's an important cooking tip. Other people WILL be dumber than you expect.

Top and tail some green beans and lightly boil them in water, drain and set aside - you want them to still have a bit of crunch and not be wilted and soggy.

Get a big frying pan. Melt some butter. Add some sliced garlic. The heat shouldn't be too high, otherwise the garlic will burn and become bitter.

Add some small tomatoes. I usually just add a punnet of cherry tomatoes on the vine. I keep them on the vine. Maybe chop into smaller bunches, depending on how many people you're serving. The tomatoes will start to soften.

Add the green beans to the frying pan with the tomatoes in garlicky butter. Gently stir. You don't want to smush the tomatoes. You just want to make sure the green beans, which had probably cooled a bit, have now been warmed through again and coated in buttery garlicky goodness.

Serve as a side with pretty much anything, roast chicken, fresh fish, lamb shank/chops, quiche, risotto, etc.
One of my brothers introduced me to the above. It’s glorious.

It's more fun to do all your mise en place first and put it in little bowls like you're doing a TV show.

Not so much fun if you have to wash it all up :D
(Essential for stuff with a short cooking time like stir-fries though, or at least laid out on a big plate or tray or board in terms of when it needs to be added).

The problem with doing the mise en place is I can’t be fucked to cook anything after going to all that effort with the prep

It is quite a good idea especially for people like me who start cooking a recipe and then mess it up as I haven’t got the ability to grate a carrot whilst simultaneously stirring a pan

Wireless headphones. Pop on a podcast. Bob's your auntie. Recently I have been chopping carrots to the strains of Alan Partridge From the Oasthouse.

The problem with doing the mise en place is I can’t be fucked to cook anything after going to all that effort with the prep

It is quite a good idea especially for people like me who start cooking a recipe and then mess it up as I haven’t got the ability to grate a carrot whilst simultaneously stirring a pan
Get yourself a food processor - I think most will come with a grater blade which will grate a carrot in a few seconds. Really handy for prepping veg.

Get yourself a food processor - I think most will come with a grater blade which will grate a carrot in a few seconds. Really handy for prepping veg.
I got a new food processor last Xmas and it's bigger than my old one so didn't fit in the cupboard. While some people will hate that it's on the surface it does mean I use it a lot more than I did my old one.

Swede makes an excellent, and cheap, substitute for green papaya. Now you can make som tum at home for pennies and it tastes great.

Back
Top Bottom