Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cookery 101s

peanut butter cookies

I cup peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg

mix and bake at 350

(yea, I know y'all use metric, but just convert)

Get a slow cooker. Pile in the ingredients and let it cook.

Simplest recipe - in the morning => pork roast (joint?) + 1 can apple pie filling

this gives a tender roast and bonus of sliced apples as side
Although it is possible to get tinned pie fillings here, they're not nearly as ubiquitous as they seem to be the other side of the pond.
I can order such a thing as a can of apple pie filling online, but I might struggle to buy one locally.

It's like when you get pet advice online saying that getting them to eat some tinned pumpkin is good for an upset stomach and you're like "hold on, what is that and where can I get it? Pumpkins are available in the shops for about 5 minutes in October and I've never seen any in a tin" :D

Get someone else to do it and focus on becoming a washing up hero
Slightly more sophisticated version: bake bread. Lots of people think it's hard. It's easier than the sodding sauces. The first couple of times it may not work, but you'll get the hang of it (if I can, anyone can), and with luck you'll acquire a mystique that enables you to concentrate on the bread while they do everything else.

Slightly more sophisticated version: bake bread. Lots of people think it's hard. It's easier than the sodding sauces. The first couple of times it may not work, but you'll get the hang of it (if I can, anyone can), and with luck you'll acquire a mystique that enables you to concentrate on the bread while they do everything else.
Indeed with instant yeast it takes me less time to bake my own bread than to walk to the shops. Lot better to. I used to use a Panasonic bread maker but doing it by hand only takes a little longer and much better results.

How long are you proving it for and how far away are your shops? :D
I prove it for 50 minutes in my top oven with the heat from my lower oven which is where I actually bake the bread. It takes me 45 minutes to go to the shops but by baking my own I have that time to do whatever else I am doing.

I prove it for 50 minutes in my top oven with the heat from my lower oven which is where I actually bake the bread. It takes me 45 minutes to go to the shops but by baking my own I have that time to do whatever else I am doing.
Ah OK! My nearest places to buy bread are about 5 minutes walk, I can decide I want a sarnie and be back with food in front of me in short order.

I usually prove dough for an hour, knockback and shape, prove for another 30 mins or so then 45 mins cooking time for the loaf.

I do agree that home cooked bread is better however, but for me definitely not quicker or more convenient (or even cheaper than buying one these days!) :D

Pshaw! 24 hour first proving, or go home.

I always cook with olive oil, I don't understand the idea that it's only for dressing. It's the only oil we have.

Buy a bigger air-frier and microwave than you think is big enough. You will appreciate the extra room and will use them more.

Buy the best knives you can afford, learn how to sharpen them. Keep them as sharp as possible. A good, sharp knife is an asset.

I always cook with olive oil, I don't understand the idea that it's only for dressing. It's the only oil we have.
It has a low smoke point and breaks down at a lower temperature than other oils, it's not good for your health and the flavour changes when heated above a certain point.

It's also really fucking expensive compared to other oils, and a lot of what you do with a cooking oil obscures the flavour of the oil itself, so why waste money?

It has a low smoke point and breaks down at a lower temperature than other oils, it's not good for your health and the flavour changes when heated above a certain point.

It's also really fucking expensive compared to other oils, and a lot of what you do with a cooking oil obscures the flavour of the oil itself, so why waste money?
When I lived in Spain everyone I knew used a lot of olive oil, given the Mediterranean diet is generally considered a very healthy diet, and given that life expectancy in Spain is higher than the UK, I'll continue using it the way I always have.

When I lived in Spain everyone I knew used a lot of olive oil, given the Mediterranean diet is generally considered a very healthy diet, and given that life expectancy in Spain is higher than the UK, I'll continue using it the way I always have.

Blah blah blah Spain, blah blah Spain better, blah blah blah I hate the UK :p

Sorry mate, love you dearly, but olive oil is fucking expensive here because I don't know if you've noticed but it has to be imported because olives don't grow well here. We grow rapeseed all over the fucking place, I expect the country looks bright yellow in satellite images during the summer and rapeseed oil is affordable :D

Blah blah blah Spain, blah blah Spain better, blah blah blah I hate the UK :p

Sorry mate, love you dearly, but olive oil is fucking expensive here because I don't know if you've noticed but it has to be imported because olives don't grow well here. We grow rapeseed all over the fucking place, I expect the country looks bright yellow in satellite images during the summer and rapeseed oil is affordable :D
Instead of taking so many opportunities to find ways of being rude to me, and since you seem to find so much of what I say offensive in some way, why not put me on ignore?

Anyway, I'm saying no more, I'm not going to derail what is an interesting thread.

Instead of taking so many opportunities to find ways of being rude to me, and since you seem to find so much of what I say offensive in some way, why not put me on ignore?

Anyway, I'm saying no more, I'm not going to derail what is an interesting thread.
It was not my intention to be rude, I am sorry if you took it that way. And I don't recall you saying anything that I've found offensive.
Just we can't all afford imported olive oil, and rapeseed oil is pretty good and more affordable because it's made here and doesn't have to be imported.
I'm very puzzled that you would take that comment from me as an attack, it was meant in good humour - I know from your posts that you would far rather be back in Spain than in the UK and was simply referring to that - and I am extremely sorry if I missed the mark.
I certainly haven't taken any opportunities to find ways to be rude to you, and I'm actually really hurt that you would say that because it's not the case at all, and I've never had any cause to put you on ignore (I don't tend to do that anyway). This is a really hurtful response, mostly because up until half an hour ago, I thought we got along OK.

Last edited:

Buy a bigger air-frier and microwave than you think is big enough. You will appreciate the extra room and will use them more.

Buy the best knives you can afford, learn how to sharpen them. Keep them as sharp as possible. A good, sharp knife is an asset.

It’s not much good for frying bacon. Smoking point is too low. it doesn’t help that I have an electric hob. Regards temperature control.

I don't know if you've noticed but it has to be imported because olives don't grow well here
They didn't used to. There's people growing olives commercially in the south of England now, although the producer I'm aware of is just selling cured olives for eating atm since their trees aren't mature enough to produce amounts worth pressing for the oil yet.

Yay climate change.

Don't be afraid or embarresed to use frozen or canned products especially veg or beans. Useful if you're cooking for one or two or if you have a condition that can make cooking difficult (my MS fatigue management course taught me that!)

Though it's always nice to use fresh produce it's not always feasible/practical. Frozen can help reduce food waste.

Frozen fruit is great for making smoothies/jam/compote. Frozen double cream is a strange consistency once defrosted but can be used in recipes or made into butter. Likewise frozen coconut milk can be used for cooking.

I think one of the things that most people assume ought to be easy is actually one of the most difficult things to get right, which I think is why many people have a go, get it wrong, and then think 'I can't cook! I can't even boil an egg!'

Boiling an egg takes lots of trial and error to make one that's not too hard, not too soft, that's cooked perfectly (for you).

There are so many different options, and me and an ex-bf probably tried them all.

Start with an egg in cold water.
Boil some water, then pop an egg in when it's starting to bubble, time for X'x".
Boil some water, pop an egg in, then turn the temperature lower and simmer for longer.
Add some vinegar to the boiling water.
Don't add vinegar.
Etc
Etc
Etc

And then you have to experiment with the timings.

Although, tbh, iirc, I think we worked out that Delia's recipe for boiling an egg was the best.

But make no mistake, it's tricky.
My mother, for my 19th birthday, bought me a book - How to boil an egg - simple meals for one which I didn't read living as I did at that time off packet savoury rice sandwiches, cheap cider, and bongs, but I can do a perfect boiled egg for me every time.

Last edited:
being serious-ish for a change -

how do you actually learn how to cook? or is it something you either can do, or just accept you can't?

i can do the basics, but am not very good at it, and don't particularly enjoy the experience.

i never really learned how to cook - it was fairly rare that mum-tat had the inclination to demonstrate / instruct, and shall we say that her way of explaining things and my way of understanding things aren't very compatible, and it wasn't something that came up at school (i went to a boys only school that was fairly old fashioned in its outlook even in the 80s)

most cookery books use technical terms that i don't understand, and assume you're cooking for 4 which might be ok for batch cooking / freezing but not always a lot of use.

is the delia book any good? i got a copy as a present many years ago, lent it to someone else before summoning up the urge to look at it, and never saw it again.

is there an alternative starting point?

We use the light olive oil for cooking where we want the flavour and EVOO for dressings etc. Vegetable oil for curries

being serious-ish for a change -

how do you actually learn how to cook? or is it something you either can do, or just accept you can't?

i can do the basics, but am not very good at it, and don't particularly enjoy the experience.

i never really learned how to cook - it was fairly rare that mum-tat had the inclination to demonstrate / instruct, and shall we say that her way of explaining things and my way of understanding things aren't very compatible, and it wasn't something that came up at school (i went to a boys only school that was fairly old fashioned in its outlook even in the 80s)

most cookery books use technical terms that i don't understand, and assume you're cooking for 4 which might be ok for batch cooking / freezing but not always a lot of use.

is the delia book any good? i got a copy as a present many years ago, lent it to someone else before summoning up the urge to look at it, and never saw it again.

is there an alternative starting point?
I fried an egg for breakfast when I was probably 5 years old, and I've been learning since.
I've read maybe a dozen recipes in my life, shoux pastry being one. The rest was guesswork and a bit of common sense.
Trial and error is a great way to learn how to cook.

I’ve always been of the opinion if you can read and are able-bodied(?) you can cook. I suppose like most things in life though, you’ve got to want to do it.

I left home when I was 20 and shared a flat in Edinburgh with two other blokes. For the first month or so I had Cornflakes for breakfast, cheese sandwiches from a local store for lunch and baked potato (microwaved), tuna mayo and Super Noodles for dinner most days. ☺️

I’d say within a couple of months of getting bored eating the same things, I had bought a few cookery books (I still use Linda McCartney’s to this day) and was soon making my own soups, lasagne, chilli, bread etc. I wanted to learn how to cook and quickly discovered how easy it was (following a recipe) and how much I really enjoyed the creative process. I can now, a few decades later, cook most things and am still buying recipe books, kitchen gadgets (e.g. air-fryer) and trying out new things.

It’s never too late to learn I say. The more you dabble, the more your confidence will grow. Give it a go? You never know, you may surprise yourself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom