Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Money saving cookery

Flatbreads are easy, cheap and really nice with just yoghurt and self raising flour. Good with any of your Dahl recipes instead of rice aswell. My mate also rolls the dough very thin for pizza bases but they go too crispy for my liking and cooking time is a lot longer if you're limiting oven time.

Thanks - have copied that one into my recipe notes, although yoghurt is an ingredient we almost never have. I wonder if I could make them with creme fraische. Would probably work

So everything is going up and up in price and even switching the oven on for an hour or two seems expensive now that electricity has gone up in price so much, which has got me focusing more than ever on what dinner costs and how to put good food on the table for less. It made me wonder if a thread for sharing recipes which deliver good “bang for the buck” might be worthwhile?

I’m not veggie or vegan, but one unexpected effect of this approach is I’m finding we are eating veggie more often, as the most expensive ingredient gets cut out of meat based recipes and I’m substituting lentils or carrots or other veg instead of meat. I’ve recently made lentil and carrot lasagne and lentil bolognese instead of minced beef versions and while it’s not the same, the price per portion is quite a lot lower.

Just about the cheapest meal I know, which can also taste like italian restaurant food is spaghetti aglio e olio, as demoed well by Mr Foodwishes in this somewhat old but still pretty good video

…would be great if people have other ideas to add for lower cost, but appealing meals.

I like that this is adaptable; some times I add chopped fresh cherry tomatoes or olives/capers

I love ‘poor man’s potatoes’
That's very like the way we do potatoes here, sliced and fried with garlic and peppers, similar recipe with them shredded. You usually season the wok with a couple of Sichuan pepper corns too which makes it piquant. There's a shredded potato in vinegar version too: Chinese Stir-Fried Shredded Potatoes 醋溜土豆絲

Another soup with very basic ingredients. I held off on making it for ages but it's a staple in winter now. Very filling and tastes as good as soup I've had out.

Just about the cheapest meal I know, which can also taste like italian restaurant food is spaghetti aglio e olio, as demoed well by Mr Foodwishes in this somewhat old but still pretty good video

…would be great if people have other ideas to add for lower cost, but appealing meals.

Made this last night. Thumbs up from me :thumbs:

On a similar theme to the OP. Marmie spaghetti. If you don't like marmite it could also be made with any other stock or bovril I expect. I throw mushtooms and brocolli or Kale in mine. It's been one of few things I can taste post covid.

I made this tonight in a scaled down quantity 85g spaghetti / 10g butter / 0.5 lvl tsp marmite / 1 tbsp reserved pasta water. I thought it was great actually!

For a meal which takes 10 mins to make, and costs just about nothing, the result was very good. Not haute cuisine, sure, but tasty and a recipe I wish I‘d had in my student days.

Back
Top Bottom