Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cookery books for beginners - suggestions

Nigel Slater's Appetite is what i recommend to all 'new' cooks.
it has templates rather than recipes and allows you to experiment, building up your confidence and knowledge.

I've googled him, and it looks like he has a book called Real Food, so that must be the one on Abe Books. Why's it coming up then when I'm searching for Appetite :hmm:

Katherine Whitehorn 'Cooking in a Bedsitter' is brilliant. It practically tells you what an egg is and though it was originally designed for 60s bedsitter life - I have an original copy - it's a cheap, practical book which uses basic ingredients and is very clearly written.

Have ordered that as it seems cheap and basic etc.

Have ordered that as it's meals for one.

I'd go for delias complete cookery course rather than how to cook - its the book that taught me how to cook, and I still use it more than any other cookbook now.

Have orderd that for when he gets a bit more adventurous.

Nigel Slater's Appetite is what i recommend to all 'new' cooks.
it has templates rather than recipes and allows you to experiment, building up your confidence and knowledge.

Have ordered that to show him he can adapt dishes

and also ordered him a slow cooker book.

Many thanks for your help everyone.

Oh, and all for around £15 (4 second-hand books, and 1 new)

My partner swears Delia's Complete Cookery Course. The thing with her is that while her tone is a bit annoying her recpes are very precise, and always seem to work.

Cooking In a Bedsitter is very 'of its time' and I think it is now more a period piece than anything else, though an interesting read. I just took a look at it and there's a recipe for kidneys with tinned sweetcorn. :eek::eek:

The book that got me into cooking was Nigella Lawson's How to Eat, but it may be a bit much for a complete novice.

Cooking In a Bedsitter is very 'of its time' and I think it is now more a period piece than anything else, though an interesting read. I just took a look at it and there's a recipe for kidneys with tinned sweetcorn. :eek::eek:

Kidneys and Sweetcorn? :eek::D

Back
Top Bottom