Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Things that annoy you about your house

I got the bloody stuff in the main bedroom, hall & bathroom, I've a got a quote of £1,100 to take them back to flat.

Then bloody polystyrene tiled ceilings in the living room and dining room/bedroom 2, if I take those fuckers down myself, it's another £1000 for those ceilings.

But, well, it needs to be done. 🤷‍♂️
We have Artex on the landing walls and it was bloody sharp too so we got it skimmed over. Just a thought...

Reactions: MBV
Plug sockets have to be at least three metres away from water sources in UK homes, so you’d have to have a massive bathroom to fit washers and dryers in one .
As I found out when I put an open plan bathroom in my bedroom. Plumbers were keen but my mate the sparkie explained it wouldn’t pass and electrical safety inspection unless I turned it into a “capsule” or decommissioned all but one of the sockets in the room

Currently showering in a place with a bulb dangling on a wire virtually in the shower, added bonus when you plug your phone charger into the wall your phone gives you a hot buzz

There's a drip from a pipe connected to the water tank in the attic and no-one can work out why. There's a permanent damp patch by the front door and it drives me insane. Fortunately we have scaffolding up at the minute and I think shortening the pipe so it drips into the gutter instead of onto the path is going to happen very soon.

My M-i-L has an ensuite with a walk in shower in her room.
My daughter has an ensuite with a walk in shower in her room, and she doesn't even live here anymore.
I still have to clamber into the bath and fight with the shower curtain.
You'll have to rework the house.

Reclaim your rights. Play the age card, accessibility needs, anything.

Lack of garden, balcony too small.
No bathtub
No sofa.
No room for a reading desk and chair.
Too near airport and under flight path.
Owning only an eighth of the property.
Sounds like Mr Bleaney. *

But did it bother him? We will never know.

* Star of a Philip Larkin poem

When I drain the kitchen sink there is a strange BIP BIP BIP sounds behind the wall about a meter away to the right which could be a drip but there’s no sign of a leak anywhere. This has been going on since I moved in 7 years ago and also sometimes happens on hot days in the summer when the flat is cooling down in the evening. And when I say annoy I mean frankly terrifies me that there is a leak or something.

Aye, honestly our bath is completely redundant as we both have mobility issues and can't get in and out of it. Not been used in years now.
If I were planning to stay here the rest of my life, I'd probably have it taken out and replaced with a 2nd loo.
As we've got older we've had a need for fewer baths and more loos.
(We already have a shower cubicle separate from the bath).
Sorry to give advice, but you might be able to get a Disability Facility Grant which would pay for a new set-up.

I haven't been in my bath for years for the same reason, but I have a board across the bath so I shower sitting down.

I should have a new set up, but my landlord is crapola and I don't have the strength for another adaptation saga.

I'd like a kitchen extractor fan that doesn't deafen the neighbours, but cheapest is always best for my housing association.

Last edited:
When I drain the kitchen sink there is a strange BIP BIP BIP sounds behind the wall about a meter away to the right which could be a drip but there’s no sign of a leak anywhere. This has been going on since I moved in 7 years ago and also sometimes happens on hot days in the summer when the flat is cooling down in the evening. And when I say annoy I mean frankly terrifies me that there is a leak or something.
Does it do it if you put cold water down the drain?

If not it could just be the pipes expanding which would also explain the hot weather as well.

dunno really.

it's ex council / leasehold so i don't really control exterior maintenance and some bits don't get done quickly or at all, but when i see what private freeholders charge as 'service charges' for probably not doing much, it's not that bad

i missed out on getting new windows a few years ago - they had thought i was a tenant, then when they realised i wasn't, there wasn't the time to sort out how much it would cost and all that.

the place is a bit tired - it was decorated / carpeted on the cheap by a buy-to-let merchant about 20 years ago (i rented from him when i moved to the area, and he wanted to sell about a year later around the time i was thinking of buying somewhere), and the bathroom and kitchen are also a bit tired but functioning. apart from the grill on the cooker that gave up a year or so back (i got and fitted a new element and it still doesn't bloody work)

the whole idea of moving has been a possible for some time, so i haven't really done a lot about it, as there doesn't seem a lot of point as whoever i sell it to will want it all different.

and when a light bulb goes, it often trips the circuit breaker. which is got at from a cupboard outside the front door. which is bloody annoying. especially if it happens when i get up for a slash in the middle of the night.

The bedroom floor has two cracked floorboards. It's a council house. I cannot move everything out of the room to get it fixed. They could just cut the awful carpet and do it around the furniture but it's a bit of a squeeze and i doubt they want to replace it having damaged it. Ive got 2 wardrobes a massive 8x6ft storage system and a big L desk. There's no where to put it even. Everything would need to be dismantled and it would take hours per piece to do and we would have no bedroom or workspace for the days it would take to dismantle let alone fix.

Low beams and low door frames.

I walk around bent over most of the time and have taken to wearing a woolly hat indoors to cushion my head a bit when I do bash it. If it wasn't for the hat I would always have scabs on my head!

I walk around bent over most of the time and have taken to wearing a woolly hat indoors to cushion my head a bit when I do bash it. If it wasn't for the hat I would always have scabs on my head!
Have you thought of having your legs shortened? :hmm:

It was not having a spare room for an office, its now that there is less rooms than people very soon.

Does the flooding not bother you!

Back
Top Bottom