Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How do you have your kebab?

I too have a kebab hankering. Any Bristol recommendations before I buy a random one from the high street at the weekend?

This is why although ordering online or using an app is fine and convenient and useful, doing it the old fashioned way would have remedied this - because the person behind the counter, no matter how drunk you were, would at some point wake you up when the meat was cooked and they were putting your order together with questions about what salad items you wanted and the all important "chilli sauce?" query.

This is why although ordering online or using an app is fine and convenient and useful, doing it the old fashioned way would have remedied this - because the person behind the counter, no matter how drunk you were, would at some point wake you up when the meat was cooked and they were putting your order together with questions about what salad items you wanted and the all important "chilli sauce?" query.
should be a line on the app before you press check out... "you want chilli sauce mate?"

be honest with us

the times you have really enjoy a kebab have you not been pissed and have ordered it in person

honestly i'm really triggered. i budgeted for it. i FASTED all day. I was day draeming about it ALL DAY.

and i fucking forget the two prerequisites for any kebab attacking.

sickening. i scrambled my brain trying to think of a kebab shop near me i could go and just get the sauce but they are all a good two miles away. i hoovered it up in five minutes but upset.

be honest with us

the times you have really enjoy a kebab have you not been pissed and have ordered it in person

Almost always in person tbh (did once get OH to pick me up a kebab on his way home after a late shift but he didn't know my "salad?" and sauce preferences) but not always pissed, late night kebab shops are not the only places I've had kebabs or similar (eg. Greece, Turkey, Egypt, going out for lunch with my parents etc)

honestly i'm really triggered. i budgeted for it. i FASTED all day. I was day draeming about it ALL DAY.

and i fucking forget the two prerequisites for any kebab attacking.

sickening. i scrambled my brain trying to think of a kebab shop near me i could go and just get the sauce but they are all a good two miles away. i hoovered it up in five minutes but upset.

Certainly for a late night dirty kebab if your face isn't at least half numb from the chilli sauce before you're halfway home/through your meal then something is amiss.

I don't eat many kebabs in the UK, because I don't have a good one near me. Maybe for the best. Delivered they can be a bit hit and miss anyway. Definitely need to be ordered with no salad and sauce or the salad cooks and it just goes weird.

Sorry to hear about you loss BigMoaner :(

When I get back I'm definitely going to make some more kebabs at home. Need to find some good recipes. One thing I've clocked over here but have seen in the UK is the use of thin wide sticks for minced meat. I'm pretty sure a lot of places in the UK use frozen ones or something as they are dry and not very nice but don't well there amazing. There's an Afgan place in Rusholme that does amazing ones. Obviously different styles in different countries but where calls them Shish?

When I get back I'm definitely going to make some more kebabs at home. Need to find some good recipes. One thing I've clocked over here but have seen in the UK is the use of thin wide sticks for minced meat. I'm pretty sure a lot of places in the UK use frozen ones or something as they are dry and not very nice but don't well there amazing. There's an Afgan place in Rusholme that does amazing ones. Obviously different styles in different countries but where calls them Shish?

Have you got a charcoal grill or barbecue? I think that's the only way to do a shish (it's from the Turkish şiş meaning skewer which is pronounced shish isn't it?) or kofte proper justice. I have done similar in the oven and under the grill part of my oven which were passable, but it lacked that proper taste that you get from cooking over an actual flame.

But yeah those wide flat skewers for kofte mean it cooks evenly inside.

Last edited:
Have you got a charcoal grill or barbecue? I think that's the only way to do a shish (it's from the Turkish şiş meaning skewer which is pronounced shish isn't it?) or kofte proper justice. I have done similar in the oven and under the grill part of my oven which were passable, but it lacked that proper taste that you get from cooking over an actual flame.

But yeah those wide flat skewers for kofte mean it cooks evenly inside.

Yes, but suspect a few months till I can use it! I wonder if kofte could be good in a frying pan? I only recently I had the revelation that burgers cook much better at home on a thick pan then under grill as you give the edges more heat!

Yes, but suspect a few months till I can use it! I wonder if kofte could be good in a frying pan? I only recently I had the revelation that burgers cook much better at home on a thick pan then under grill as you give the edges more heat!

If you were going to do it in a frying pan, I suggest treating them more like meatballs and making small sausages out of the mince mixture (not on skewers) then searing in a hot stainless steel or cast iron pan - I wouldn't add any fat to the pan as lamb usually has enough, or just wipe the pan with a little veg oil or similar with a high smoking point if you are using lean meat. Once they are seared finish off in the oven if they aren't cooked through, they aren't supposed to be rare (but also avoid overcooking!)

I am sure they will be better on the BBQ though!

Back
Top Bottom