Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Happy ... er ... new year, it's the 2023 album recommendations thread!

Haven't seen this on here yet, but this is really nice. Well, it's working for me at least... I sorta liked the original but this is great. Would've been better if I'd found it when the sun was out.

So this is amazing. Ghost Train Orchestra and Kronos Quartet playing various pieces by Moondog (blind Viking who lived rough in NY). Includes Joan As Police Woman, Jarvis Cocker, Rufus Wainwright amongst others. It's a melodic carnival.

The Exbats - Song Machine is out today.

Streaming only so far, other versions will follow eventually (tho I aint paying £30 for a 35 minute album, no sirree!)

New album of coldly warm/warmly cold emotionally oxymoronic ambient from 36 with a (to me anyway) interesting backstory. This guy's so good at this sort of stuff... reminds me of being in the chillout room at a rave in a filthy warehouse in January at 8am on Sunday morning with cold steel grey light finding its way round the gaps where the backdrops don't quite cover the windows, still pilled up but also definitely starting to come down, still wrapped up warm but with a distinct edge to the breeze you're starting to feel coming from somewhere, knowing you're going to have to go out into proper cold soon to start a long journey home... and the whole nostalgic thing where the past is reverb... hence the name of that ambient label The Past in the Present (which Dennis Huddleston aka 36 has released on), perhaps nodding to Bergson...

New Hannah Diamond out on digital, physical to follow in December.

Makes both irony and post-irony look like tiny weeny little things way off down there in the shadowy valley...

This is quite good, with over two hours of quite abstract stuff. The first half is a little Stars of the Lid, whereas the second goes a bit Matmos and a bit Mouse on Mars.

It's only just come to my attention that JOHN released a new album last month. It's what you expect from them, and thus very good.

Exalt records is coming to an end 😭😭😭 - one of the finest electronic music labels of recent times - everything they put out is gold.

A final compilation before the curtain comes down.

Absolutely first class tunes throughout - soulful deep techno / electronica - can't recommend it highly enough.

Darren Nye, Posthuman, Morphology, John Shima, Russ Gabriel, Steve Rutter (B12), Shadow Acid and many more - a line-up to die for :cool:

I hope it comes out on digital as I've had my free listens on Bandcamp now.... went back for a 3rd spin but was denied....

Last edited:
AC Soul Symphony - Metamorphosis

Dave Lee (who is still trying to lose the name Joey Negro) has been sampling, producing, remixing, re-editing and compiling disco music for over 30 years. Now he's got a 20 piece orchestra together to make a philly soul/disco album the old fashioned way. It's 2 hours long and relentlessly amazing 🕺

Back
Top Bottom