Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Happy ... er ... new year, it's the 2023 album recommendations thread!

Chaos County Line. This summer's double album by Skating Polly, the best live band in the world. I've listened to it on streaming and that was OK, however the CD arrived this afternoon and it is way better on the stereo with plenty of bass. Glorious eclectic ramshackle punk pop. Stand out track is Tiger At The Drugstore. "Faking it doesn't feel like how I remember it". We've all been there...

Never come across Ragana before. Their new album 'Desolation Flowers' is apparently their 4th. Well, it's very good.

Released on the Flenser label - who put out the Chat Pile album that did rather surprisingly well in the urban AOTY....

The tags on bandcamp are black metal / blackened screamo / doom etc - and yes, it is heavy, very heavy at times, but it's lush and beautiful too. Recommended for sure - and bizarrely reviewed in the Guardian (3 stars :D)

Wet Saturday afternoon = catching up on loads of music I've been meaning to listen to.

Loving this from Australian band Witchskull. It ROCKs. I guess you'd categorise it as Stoner and Stoner can be a bit tedious but this is well groovy and infectious. Rock on 😎

DJ Sabrina the Teenage DJ - Destiny

This is quite something. A 41 track, four hour album of plundertronics, lo-fi/French style house, pop, synthpop, electropop, AOR, MOR, funk, country, whatever, samples from obscure straight to DVD movies and interviews with forgotten 00s teen stars, sometimes all drifting in and out of the same song, all segued together into one long highlight. She manages to keep it going and going hour after hour while staying engaging and never dropping in quality. Fucking love this.

I have not been doing a good job of keeping up with new music this year, does anyone want to tell me what I ought to be thinking of putting on my AOTY list? So far, there's a forgettable album from Fucked Up, an unlistenable album from Xiu Xiu, the Home Front album that's alright but nothing that special, and the Early Mornings EP that I like but is an EP and so won't be on any album of the year lists. What've I missed?

Contenders for my list are:

Brighde Chaimbaul - Bagpipe business
Yo La Tengo
deathcrash - slowcore emo
Oozing Wound - noise rock/grunge
Suss - Cosmic americana :)
Arovane - ambient
Surgeon - techno
The Necks - jazz?
Mammal hands - jazz
Craven Faults - modular synth business
Colin Stetson - sax business
Anthony Naples - ambient techno
Hey Colossus - previously noise rock but not so much any more
Forest Swords - ambient/dub/industrial
Mary Lattimore - harp business

Then there's been tons of metal I've loved this year - but that's for another list :)

Contenders for my list are:

Brighde Chaimbaul - Bagpipe business
Yo La Tengo
deathcrash - slowcore emo
Oozing Wound - noise rock/grunge
Suss - Cosmic americana :)
Arovane - ambient
Surgeon - techno
The Necks - jazz?
Mammal hands - jazz
Craven Faults - modular synth business
Colin Stetson - sax business
Anthony Naples - ambient techno
Hey Colossus - previously noise rock but not so much any more
Forest Swords - ambient/dub/industrial
Mary Lattimore - harp business

Then there's been tons of metal I've loved this year - but that's for another list :)
Things I love this year so far:

Mammal Hands - as above
Nabihah Iqbal - shimmery indie electronica drone pop
Wednesday - sludgy country americana noise
Jess Williamson - texas americana
Marlowe - hip hop
Say She She - slinky disco
Roisin Murphy - self-explanatory
Margo Cilker - americana
Gaz Coombes - classy indie pop rock whatever
JPEGMAFIA/Danny Brown - fucking mental hip hop
boygenius - sad banger supergroup

E2A The Murder Capital - sprawling indie gloom-rock

Still so much more I haven't properly listened to yet! I need to take more long train journeys by myself :D

Last edited:
Skimming through the Wikipedia list of 2023 album releases I've got a LOT of listening to do later this year in order to put together my annual New Year Spotify playlist. Loads of artists I usually have a lot of time for have released albums and so far this I have only bought one, and that's not even on their list. year

Things I love this year so far:

Mammal Hands - as above
Nabihah Iqbal - shimmery indie electronica drone pop
Wednesday - sludgy country americana noise
Jess Williamson - texas americana
Marlowe - hip hop
Say She She - slinky disco
Roisin Murphy - self-explanatory
Margo Cilker - americana
Gaz Coombes - classy indie pop rock whatever
JPEGMAFIA/Danny Brown - fucking mental hip hop
boygenius - sad banger supergroup

E2A The Murder Capital - sprawling indie gloom-rock

Still so much more I haven't properly listened to yet! I need to take more long train journeys by myself :D

Ah yes - Nabihah Iqbal should be on my list too. That's a cracker....

Formerly Lingua Ignota...now The Reverend Kristin Michael Hayter

She released this one today. Album of one of her Lingua Ignota swan song live shows, recorded at Islington Assembly Hall.
Kristin Hayter bids farewell to her Lingua Ignota project with this harrowing hour long set solely on piano in front of a sold out crowd in London, UK. The song selection ranges from her earliest works to her final releases under the project, with the vast majority being reimagined for the piano,

Saw him last night, turns out he's a face I recognise from some of his old punk bands back in the day. Also on OMN, are you into Vincent Van Sloth at all?
Yeah. OMN has to be my favorite label of the last 15 years. I love everything they've put out.

She released this one today. Album of one of her Lingua Ignota swan song live shows, recorded at Islington Assembly Hall.

Thanks for this, good chance this'll be on my end of year list.

Wish I'd been at the show. When I saw her it was something of a disappointment due to the venue but this piano set would be right up my street.

New Evil Blizzard album. Contrary to their previous claim to be the worst band on earth it's pretty good although I'm still not into the PiL style vocals

This, from Cleo Sol, is gorgeous - warm and silky soul/jazz/R&B.

There's another part too, Gold. Will be checking that out straight after this.

Here's the first best of the year list I've come across - from Decibel magazine.... features some of my fave metal albums of the year but plenty of new stuff to check.....

Back
Top Bottom