Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Happy ... er ... new year, it's the 2023 album recommendations thread!

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Do NOT submit your AOTY lists before you've listened to this. I did, and I sorely regret it - it's stunning :cool:

Thanks for the warning - my list is taking shape but I've not listened to this yet, though have enjoyed previous Follakzoid efforts....

Will check it.

By the way, when I saw Algiers earlier this year, I was struck by how John-Carpenter-y they sound now. And on relistening to their new album, this is a good example of how different their new sound is:

Also, the new Modern Nature is... perhaps a little bit much, or a little bit little, for my tastes, but if you like very abstracty guitar something-or-other (probably a good thing I never became a professional music writer really) you might want to give it a go:

Also, the new Modern Nature is... perhaps a little bit much, or a little bit little, for my tastes, but if you like very abstracty guitar something-or-other (probably a good thing I never became a professional music writer really) you might want to give it a go:

I live in Lewes and they are playing here this week. Not many bands of interest to me play in town so I meant to check them out to see if worth getting a ticket - but I forgot. You've reminded me so I'll have a listen - but I can't now go, whether I'd like to or not!

I live in Lewes and they are playing here this week. Not many bands of interest to me play in town so I meant to check them out to see if worth getting a ticket - but I forgot. You've reminded me so I'll have a listen - but I can't now go, whether I'd like to or not!
Do they still have their psychedelic festival?
My mate Danny used to dj at it

Can't see an obvious mention, appears Blackbird Raum released their first album since 2016 this year:

Finally got around to listening to the new Blackbird Raum and can't say I love it on first listen. It's a little bit plinky-plonky, innit?

First new music from Tape in a decade.

It came out earlier in the year but vinyl only and I don't buy vinyl as I don't have the money or the record player but out on streams today...

It's gorgeous.

Exalt records is coming to an end 😭😭😭 - one of the finest electronic music labels of recent times - everything they put out is gold.

A final compilation before the curtain comes down.

Absolutely first class tunes throughout - soulful deep techno / electronica - can't recommend it highly enough.

Darren Nye, Posthuman, Morphology, John Shima, Russ Gabriel, Steve Rutter (B12), Shadow Acid and many more - a line-up to die for :cool:

I hope it comes out on digital as I've had my free listens on Bandcamp now.... went back for a 3rd spin but was denied....

Hurry - a Shadow Acid mix of all the tracks. What a Christmas treat....

Listen to Exalt Records - The End (Shadow Acid Megamix) by Exaltrecords on #SoundCloud

Dipping into some of the stuff from Cvlt Nation's end of the year lists, this is their dreampop album of the year but I'm not wildly in love with it on first listen:

I respect the fact that they managed to make a "shoegaze albums of the year" list without even acknowledging Slowdive though:

More "albums I'm finding out about from end of the year lists that I can't find with a quick search of this thread", here's Gel with a bit of blasting hardcore fury:

Back
Top Bottom