Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Album Recommendations: 2024 Edition

Fans of 80s-inflected pop might want to check out Fabiana Palladino's album. Om first listen I'm not sure I like anything on here as much as the (excellent) lead single, but could be a grower.

New album coming out next month from Kim Gordon, of all people - still making challenging noise at 70:

This new Kim Gordon record is really amazing... it really shouldn't work her making a trap record but somehow they manage to make it really vital and interesting rather than desperate.

The Staves' new album is out. I have been saving it up to listen to on a long journey back from an intense work engagement, and it's making me very happy :)

Oh, this is quite nice. I'd just been attempting to listen to Guttersnipes, so this is a good relaxing change for my ears.

New Pye Corner Audio is sounding sweet...

Was a big fan of his early stuff but not been so keen on more recent albums.

This new one is much more my cup of tea again. Evocative electronica with a good dose of dancefloor chug....

This album of Scottish avant-folk / electroacoustic / drone is rather good.
Harry Gorski-Brown - Durt Dronemaker After Dreamboats

Just listened to the new Messthetics album - it's fucking great.

Previously a trio - Brendan Canty and Joe Lally - the rhythm section from Fugazi, with Anthony Pirog shredding on guitar but for the new album they've added a sax player and although the previous stuff was a bit jazz they've hit the jazz vibes way harder this time.

Check this banger:

I shouldn’t laugh, but…

I was playing this earlier and mrsb complained about the bloody noise. So I said I could swap it for the new Einsturzende Neubaten album. And she agreed.

I shouldn’t laugh, but…

I was playing this earlier and mrsb complained about the bloody noise. So I said I could swap it for the new Einsturzende Neubaten album. And she agreed.

Last time I was playing it my partner asked what it was and said it sounded great - this is almost unheard of - normally it's 'Matt, for fuck sake turn it down' 😁

Can't say I've been paying that much attention to Sheer Mag over the last few years, but they've got a new album out:

Big day for sludge today with new albums from High on Fire AND Melvins out. Looking forward to getting my riff on later :cool:

Can't say I'm that taken with Melvins... always devastating live but this new album, as per most recent albums didn't really sink it's teeth in me. Fair play to them though and I know they wouldn't give a shit about my opinion and rightly so!

High on Fire's album though is amazing though..... and there's an ex-Melvin on drums. Massive riffs and Matt Pike's awesome snarly vocals make for sludgy stoner rock heaven...

I'm enjoiyng DogUnit at the mo; kind of rocky electronic droney scape stuff - long pieces with no discernible break; a bit like the Necks but less jazzy. (I'd never make a music hack!!)

I'll try and get the Television live album for myself, as well as the English Teacher for a mate. Couple of other things (SFA & French Psych) that I would quite like, but can't justify.

This new Kim Gordon record is really amazing... it really shouldn't work her making a trap record but somehow they manage to make it really vital and interesting rather than desperate.
I found / find it quite interesting / innovative and I really like her voice (and a lot of the lyrical hooks/flow) . . . but I find myself not actually 'enjoying' it.

Can't say I've been paying that much attention to Sheer Mag over the last few years, but they've got a new album out:

Sounds boring to start off, but turns into a really great song. I really like her voice and vocal melodies, but the rest of the band seem more and more to be losing their oomph. Might just be the wrong production (for me). I only care, because it's so close to being something amazing, but just flops about like a wet fish.
I enjoyed the first three EPs and even the more disco feel of the first LP (though I have not listened to that much - I should revisit it).

Back
Top Bottom