Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rock Against Racism 2024 Edition

Live Aid was designed to raise funds...this is designed to change the cultural norms of the country. It needs to be mass to work. Idles already play gigs for money. How does doing another ticketed Idles gig under a different banner make any difference to anything?

They were always the headliners. Steel Pulse headlined over the Clash, iirr.

LMHR did lots of northern day festivals in the …. ‘00’s? Maybe early ‘10’s. Nothing like as big as the 70s/90s ones.
They did loads of stuff around then. I did some voluntary stuff with them mid 2000s - 2010ish. They organised loads of gigs all over. I was mainly involved with London ones and they put on quite a few garage/grime gigs at some decent venues like Fabric. They were also very involved with the early incarnation of the Leftfield at Glastonbury (I also volunteered there). Libertines did a lot of stuff with them. I remember vividly the backstage paparazzi melee at Glastonbury when Kate Moss rocked up when she was seeing Pete Doherty.

So this is just a relaunch. I haven’t been involved with them for a while. Yes the SWP are involved (not my politics these days as a centrist Mum 😂). But so are lots of the unions as well. Hearts in the right place and they are quite effective so a good thing on the whole.

ETA - the gigs I was involved with you usually had to pay to get in with profits going to good causes. Usually a big discount if you were unwaged.

Also the ANL/RAR gigs always featured a reggae group or similar. Dunno how that translates to opposition to Islamophobia. But Paloma Faith is not it.

The first RAR gigs were mostly pub circuit folk/jazz/funk groups made up of mainly white musicians. It wasn't until the movement grew its connections across the country that Reggae and Punk bands began to onboard. Carol Grimes and the Boogie Band played the first. Tom Robinson was there early on. I guess you start with musicians you know and take it from there. It wasn't all Steel Pulse and The Ruts from day one.

It would be great if they could build this with local bands and not bands that have already made it, but its a very different age in terms of grassroots music scenes and encouring people out to see/hear bands who are unknown. There was an attempt to reboot RAR a few years back and it stalled fairly quickly, mostly because it was easier to talk about it than actually do anything. Back in the 70s you could put a gig on anywhere. Now there's a lot of boring hurdles to jump. You can't lob a P.A on the back of a truck and just arrive in a park anymore. People want to buy food, and use toilets and be comfortable. The council want there to be security and proper licences in place and the NIMBYS will be crying their eyes out and shoving their complaints in.

I mean I hope it is successful but it does seem very much singing to the converted.
Yep, Idles or Fontaines DC's whole image is anti-establishment/radical. Tbh I find them both a bit too preachy and I'd be surprised if any of their fans were supportive of even 'legitimate concerns abt immigration.

I'm not against the concerts in general esp if they're free or get people into putting on more diy shows, I just don't think it necessarily does the useful (and much more difficult) job of speaking to/deprogramming people who have been radicalised by the far right (sorry, know that's for the other thread).

They were always the headliners. Steel Pulse headlined over the Clash, iirr.
Tom Robinson band and Steel Pulse were on the posters for the 1978 Victoria Park Carnival. Others came on board after the posters were printed and flyposted. On the day Clash was the headline band. Others included Elvis Costello and Siouxsie and the Banshees. Jimmy Pursey of Sham 69 also made an appearance.

Screenshot 2024-08-18 22.17.08.png

Last edited:
Bit old-fashioned and incorrect to label it ‘Rock’ against racism, isn’t it?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom