Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Album Recommendations: 2024 Edition

braindancer i saw Slift a few years back I think at Liverpool psych fest. Liked them so much I bought a poster from the merch stand that is long & thin so has never made it into a frame. Need to dig it out.

braindancer i saw Slift a few years back I think at Liverpool psych fest. Liked them so much I bought a poster from the merch stand that is long & thin so has never made it into a frame. Need to dig it out.

Have you heard the new album? I can't stop playing it. It's so fucking good! An absolute beast of an album.

For fans of Scott Walker/Lee Hazelwood , the new Maxwell Farrington & Le SuperHomard album Please Wait is a great listen

Sounds interesting but 'le SuperHomard' is one for the 'band names so stupid you refuse to listen to them' thread.

Sounds interesting but 'le SuperHomard' is one for the 'band names so stupid you refuse to listen to them' thread.
True . I can't remeber how I came across them but it was before they linked up with Maxwell Farrington when they did an excellent album Maple Keys . Sort of French electro retro pop influenced by Stereolab .

Finally we're starting to get a decent number of new releases on a Friday. Today there's new IDLES out (sounds much the same as their previous output), and a new Grandaddy record, their first one since 2017.

Reactions: MBV
Looking into it, it does appear that they are actually French, which I reckon makes it several degrees more forgiveable. Or am I going soft?

Two crackers out last week:

New album from Swedish jazz trio Fire! is a beast. Bass, guitar and sax. Recorded by Steve Albini. Proper!

Laetita Sadler from Stereolab's new one Rooting for Love - absolutely superb.....

This collab from The Body and Dis Fig also sounding pretty immense but it's fucking dark and I've not quite found the right moment to get through the whole thing yet:

Two crackers out last week:

New album from Swedish jazz trio Fire! is a beast. Bass, guitar and sax. Recorded by Steve Albini. Proper!

Laetita Sadler from Stereolab's new one Rooting for Love - absolutely superb.....

This collab from The Body and Dis Fig also sounding pretty immense but it's fucking dark and I've not quite found the right moment to get through the whole thing yet:

I’m not really a fan of The Body but their collaboration stuff is always fantastic their album with Big Brave is a regular listen. So looking forward to this collaboration.

Listened to the Fire! Record last night, great stuff.

I’m not really a fan of The Body but their collaboration stuff is always fantastic their album with Big Brave is a regular listen. So looking forward to this collaboration.

Listened to the Fire! Record last night, great stuff.
Yeah that Fire! album is really great.

Just listened to The Body collab. It is good but I can't see myself going back to it. Relentlessly harrowing - would be great to see it live but for home listening it's a bit much 🤨

:weed:

Yes - I listened to the Liam Gallagher/John Squire album - after good reviews in the Guardian.

Hmm.. I was underwhelmed. They do sound abit like Led Zeppelin at times, but overall it just sounds like an idea that doesn't really work..

I'll probably give it a couple more listens.. but meh.

From memory there is one very good track on it. Just Another Rainbow..

Liam Gallagher John Squire review – chippy hauteur meets six-string pyrotechnics

Last edited:
:weed:

Yes - I listened to the Liam Gallagher/John Squire album - after good reviews in the Guardian.

Hmm.. I was underwhelmed. They do sound abit like Led Zeppelin at times, but overall it just sounds like an idea that doesn't really work..

I'll probably give it a couple more listenss.. but meh.

From memory there is one very good track on it. Just Another Rainbow..

Liam Gallagher John Squire review – chippy hauteur meets six-string pyrotechnics
I've heard it's even better than The Seahorses or Beady Eye.

Back
Top Bottom