Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 1964

ta...that reminds me of a friend recently recommending me Five Live Yardbirds as a great early protopunk album....just looked and by luck its 1964.... I had a feeling it was around this time
Released4 December 1964
Recorded20 March 1964
VenueMarquee Club, London

"The Yardbirds were a popular live attraction at music clubs. Much of their reputation was built on their use of a "rave up" musical arrangement, an instrumental interlude that builds to a climax. Clapton credits the rave up to bassist Paul Samwell-Smith and explains: "While most other bands were playing three-minute songs, we were taking three-minute numbers and stretching them out to five or six minutes, during which time the audience would go crazy".[5] It was at such performances that Clapton often broke a guitar string. While he was putting on a new one, the audience would slowly clap their hands (slow handclapping). This led manager Gomelsky to nickname him "Eric 'Slowhand' Clapton"."

Its definitely got a punk rawness to it...covers of RnB tracks but done in a very lose and distorted style

Its a bit of a rarity in that : "the album did not appear in British record charts. Subsequently, it was not issued in the US, but in November 1965 Epic Records (their American label) included four of the tracks on Having a Rave Up with the Yardbirds. In 1966, Epic planned to release the album in the US with the same tracks as the UK album (although with different cover art), but did not follow through."

I think its pretty special....little glimpses of Velvet Underground at times in the "rave up" sections

Last edited:
Kind of interesting seeing the way that people were playing around with the album format in 1964, like I guess you can disqualify this for being a compilation but it seems like an idea not many people have tried doing since?
View attachment 427739
View attachment 427740
I reckon Kendrick and Drake are missing a trick by not putting something like this out, come to think of it.
quite a common thing in dancehall
this might make my list in 1994 - Bounty Killer v Beenie Man - one side each

ta...that reminds me of a friend recently recommending me Five Live Yardbirds as a great early protopunk album....just looked and by luck its 1964.... I had a feeling it was around this time
Released4 December 1964
Recorded20 March 1964
VenueMarquee Club, London

"The Yardbirds were a popular live attraction at music clubs. Much of their reputation was built on their use of a "rave up" musical arrangement, an instrumental interlude that builds to a climax. Clapton credits the rave up to bassist Paul Samwell-Smith and explains: "While most other bands were playing three-minute songs, we were taking three-minute numbers and stretching them out to five or six minutes, during which time the audience would go crazy".[5] It was at such performances that Clapton often broke a guitar string. While he was putting on a new one, the audience would slowly clap their hands (slow handclapping). This led manager Gomelsky to nickname him "Eric 'Slowhand' Clapton"."

Its definitely got a punk rawness to it...covers of RnB tracks but done in a very lose and distorted style

Its a bit of a rarity in that : "the album did not appear in British record charts. Subsequently, it was not issued in the US, but in November 1965 Epic Records (their American label) included four of the tracks on Having a Rave Up with the Yardbirds. In 1966, Epic planned to release the album in the US with the same tracks as the UK album (although with different cover art), but did not follow through."

I think its pretty special

one of the three truly great debut albums that were live in concert

Hadnt heard of this before but its really hit the spot for me....i think a special and unique album.....

Blue Note have marketed it all wrong though, the title and particularly the cover art dont suit the music at all, though perhaps Donald came up with the title and they just went with the perspective thing, but it couldnt be further away from being about a man and a sport car. Almost offensively wrong tbh!

It's based on spirituals, with a choir, given the jazz treatment, but nothing too hard or freewheeling... great arrangements, strong grooving, very listenable, politically charged, ambitious, a lot of heart and soul has gone into it.....I think its great... wonderful playing across the whole band (inc. sax Hank Mobley, guitar Kenny Burrell, piano Herbie Hancock). A real start to finish album....its a suite really.

Reading the Discogs reviews for different pressings of old jazz records, where the audiophiles write like they're What HiFi reviwers, cracks me up

Solid, flat, clear pressing! Minimal noise, and a pretty crisp soundstage without being “crispy”. Bass is punchy without being flabby, drums cut through without overpowering, piano moves front & center during solos. Horns & snare are a little bit hard right, but that was RVG’s stylistic choice at the time 🤷🏻‍♂️
:thumbs: and...
No flaws whatsoever. Flat and centered. The mastering is great, but I think it leaves a little something to be desired - a bit more life or something? It's hard to put my finger on it. I don't hate it, but it sounds a tad clinical. I have no other pressings to compare it to.

That said, it is a really excellent pressing and mastering job and I do recommend this.

Fluance RT80
AT-VM95ML
Schiit Mani 2
Edifier R1700BT
to which someone replied:
Could it be your low fi setup? Just a thought
:D

Oh, that was for this, btw, which sounds great but it's too late listen to now.

One for late morning, me thinks, where the slighter higher outside temperature enables better vibrational dampening. I've found this really allows Wayne Jones' drums to cut through, without too much 'upper sparkle', yet still maintaining the body and heft we know and love. The soundstage is a little too open on side B, which I can only conclude was pressed from a new stamp.

Sony XO-D101 Hi-Fi Stereo with built-in Turntable
JBL Authentics 200, Smart Home Wifi Speaker

I meant it about it being too late, so I should be in bed, but I decided to have "one more track" and stuck something from this on:

And wow! I need to give this a proper listen tomorrow. I've listened to a couple of tracks and it sounds pretty out there for 1964. Even for today. Jazz, choral-gospel acapellas, and bluesy uptempo dance tunes. It sounds amazing.

It's probably really famous(?) but I've never heard of it, or her

Is Miles & Monk at Newport a compilation?

Side 1 is Davis from 1958, the only (then) legitimate live recording of the Kind of Blue band. It's pretty darned groovy.

Side 2 is Thelonious from 1963 and is perfectly decent. They never actually play together altho Miles does do a Monk tune.

I'm not sure if it would make a top 10 or 20 for me anyway, but I can't help but wonder...

If it's the first release of previously unrecorded material then it's legitimate imo. We allow shared albums and archival albums, so shared archival albums are allowed too.

1967 it looks to be (and sounds like)
Ny00Nzk1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Reading the Discogs reviews for different pressings of old jazz records, where the audiophiles write like they're What HiFi reviwers, cracks me up

:thumbs: and...

to which someone replied:

:D
the one aspect of all that waffle that gets a pass from me is that you might have an old mono original, followed by a heavily panned 90s remaster, or something similarly drastic, and its fair enough to point that out....and while some remastering is done from original tapes you do also get later releases where someone has taken a rare record, digitised it, and basically just played with an eq and compression to "remaster" it...

I cant think what now but I have heard remasters that have basically been cranked for loudness wars...oh yeah I remember now, there was an amazing Chicago Trax records comp, had about 80 tunes on it, loads of rarities, but remastered appallingly, which you only really notice when you play them next to other house tunes on any kind of system

but yeah, wafflers will waffle

Oh, that was for this, btw, which sounds great but it's too late listen to now.

This is really great ... I think i said this already on the Wayne Shorter RIP thread but the thing with has classic 60s albums is that the main theme/melodies are always brilliant, really memorable, but the tracks almost all have the same Theme>Everyone Solos>Theme again arrangement, which gets a bit boring I find. Luckily the Themes are always excellent but I much prefer when the arrangements go somewhere (like that Donald Byrd New Perspectives...thats much more creative). Black Nile from this album is a fav.

The wave of surf music from 62/63 came crashing down in 64. There's only so many twangy guitar tunes people needed in their life and the vocal acts were running out of things to sing about surfing and hotrods, so the whole scene was pushed aside by the British Invasion and the rise of garage rock bands. Still plenty of it about this year, with 4 albums each from Dick Dale, The Ventures and The Astronauts.

This meant that The Sandells Scrambler! went largely unnoticed on its release. Great cover:

sandells-1a.jpg

However, two years later it was used as the soundtrack for surfing documentary The Endless Summer, which became a cult film amongst surfers and the album was reissued with a new title and cover as the film's soundtrack. It's been regularly repressed since and has had a long life no-one expected in '64.

Hadnt heard of this before but its really hit the spot for me....i think a special and unique album.....

Blue Note have marketed it all wrong though, the title and particularly the cover art dont suit the music at all, though perhaps Donald came up with the title and they just went with the perspective thing, but it couldnt be further away from being about a man and a sport car. Almost offensively wrong tbh!

It's based on spirituals, with a choir, given the jazz treatment, but nothing too hard or freewheeling... great arrangements, strong grooving, very listenable, politically charged, ambitious, a lot of heart and soul has gone into it.....I think its great... wonderful playing across the whole band (inc. sax Hank Mobley, guitar Kenny Burrell, piano Herbie Hancock). A real start to finish album....its a suite really.

excellent 10 minute review includes loads of bio on Donald Byrd, puts everything in perspective...nods to years of planning and classical french conservatory influences

Shirley Collins/Davy Graham's Folk Roots New Routes is a bit of an oddity. I'm a big fan of both but they really aren't on the same page with Collins folk purity and with Graham (at this point) with one foot in jazz. Whether it works or not is a bit up to you but when it hits home it really hits home.

I find this song endlessly fascinating. I can't quite grasp the subtleties of either performer. I listen to it again and again and again and again. Baffled by its beauty.

Back
Top Bottom