Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Happy ... er ... new year, it's the 2023 album recommendations thread!

Prompted by Spandex plugging Frankie Rose over on the 2012 thread, had a look at her bandcamp and she's got a new one out:

Found out today Frankie Rose had a new album out this year, decided to search this thread to see if it'd been mentioned, apparently I'd posted about it when it came out and then immediately forgot about it. :thumbs:

I haven't listened to much music this year with moving back to Ireland and all the ball ache that dealing with customs, bureaucracy, and getting my wife residency sorted entails but I've discovered this today and am properly loving this from Brueder Selke, 'Belke & Strelka' it's reminiscent of the work of Jessica Moss.

It's not up on bandcamp yet but is available via Apple Music.

Can't see an obvious mention, appears Blackbird Raum released their first album since 2016 this year:

New Dario Zenker on Ilian Tape sounds very nice. 100% certain he's borrowed bits off/done bits with Skee Mask for it- just listen to some of them sounds, particularly off Round Ritmo.

Chaos County Line. This summer's double album by Skating Polly, the best live band in the world. I've listened to it on streaming and that was OK, however the CD arrived this afternoon and it is way better on the stereo with plenty of bass. Glorious eclectic ramshackle punk pop. Stand out track is Tiger At The Drugstore. "Faking it doesn't feel like how I remember it". We've all been there...

Only just getting around to checking this out, thanks - good stuff. :)

Only just getting around to checking this out, thanks - good stuff. :)
They've been pretty much the best live band in the world for a good few years now. Coming to Europe in the new year in January. I already have my tickets for Omeara's in Borough. Their last album was brilliant, but not as close to what they can do live as this latest one is. I only found out about them because they booked a friend as a support act the first time the came to the UK.

I've listened to a couple of tracks, and they sound very dark (but good).
Gave it a spin today, really like it, but yes, certainly introspective. The Guardian reviewer didn't like the downbeat production but I think it's quite refreshing, and reflective of where he was presumably at while recording.

New Dario Zenker on Ilian Tape sounds very nice. 100% certain he's borrowed bits off/done bits with Skee Mask for it- just listen to some of them sounds, particularly off Round Ritmo.

Thanks for the reminder! I heard about this, meant to check it, but of course forgot!

Dunno when they'll ever get around to releasing a proper album, but Kneecap have a new single out featuring him from off of Fontaines DC, it's pretty good:

Really good album by a band called Ao Mar I suppose you could say Mediterranean trip-folk saudade even though they are based in Belgium albeit with a singer having Portuguese/ Mozambican roots. Its utterly delicious.

zahir might like this

The new album from Dubliner John Francis Flynn, Look Over The Wall, See the Sky, is lovely, more Irish Avant-folk.
Seems fitting today to link to these two.

Karen y los Remedios - Silencio

Anyone for some existentialist cumbia from Mexico? It's wonderful.

Back
Top Bottom