Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

I care about them. Just like I care about the people in Gaza trapped and waiting for the next attack.

Anyone who doesn’t is a bit of a cunt IMO.

I suspect Idris2002 was implying the Israeli government don't care about them. They've already decided, as I think kebabking said, that the cost of specifically freeing any hostages has been deemed too much when measured against the security of Israel.

You I and I suspect Idris2002 obviously do care about innocent civilians caught in this. That includes the hostages. It doesn't make anyone support Hamas. A slaughter is about to take place (is already taking place) and the fact people are rightly getting worked up about Palestinian numbers more than the hostages is just that, a numbers game...possibly involving genocide.It doesn't mean nobody cares about the Israelis. The only people showcasing their don't give a fuck attitude to innocent people right now are the Israeli government. Because two wrongs obviously do make a right when you have the unambiguous support of major western leaders behind you.

For years Israeli governments have been gradually grinding Palestinians done with knowledge that the international community wouldn't genuinely try and stop them. I was reading an Israeli human rights organisation analysis of the policies of this present government in Israel. Whilst not directly annexing west bank the sum of its policies is to build more settlements and push Palestinian farmers off their land. The settler violence does not exist in a vacuum. It's condoned by this present government in Israel. It's not as dramatic as what might happen in Gaza nor does it constitute lashing out in revenge or genocide. It is however a form of ethnic cleansing.

Exactly at what point should international community ( US , UK etc) should threaten to stop supporting Israeli governments? If the view is that to do so now would mean that Israeli government would lash out. Well they have been using controlled violence against Palestinians in occupied territories. Gaza is effectively been under harsh military occupation for years. Whilst this was going on international community did not put any real pressure on Israeli governments.

The Israeli peace activist I posted about earlier said best way to support Israelis is for is to say no to this government. Which means not cutting off water and electricity and sending in troop's.

Another thing if the view is that Hamas should be destroyed militarily then reminded of Rashid Khalidi ( historian). saying if they go something else will take its place. The Palestinians aren't going away.

Don't think it's helpful to look at this recent events as leading to genocide. Imo it's better to see what's been happening to Palestinians as ethnic cleansing.

Not every war is a re-enactment of the holocaust. Are you seriously comparing Hamas to the Jews in pre-War Germany? Have you seen the gas chambers for systemically executing all the Israeli-Arabs? I don't know any school kids who would make such a facile analogy as you did there.
Did I say it was the same? No. I said it was a genocide. If you don’t think that’s what it is then why not?

For years Israeli governments have been gradually grinding Palestinians done with knowledge that the international community wouldn't genuinely try and stop them. I was reading an Israeli human rights organisation analysis of the policies of this present government in Israel. Whilst not directly annexing west bank the sum of its policies is to build more settlements and push Palestinian farmers off their land. The settler violence does not exist in a vacuum. It's condoned by this present government in Israel. It's not as dramatic as what might happen in Gaza nor does it constitute lashing out in revenge or genocide. It is however a form of ethnic cleansing.

Exactly at what point should international community ( US , UK etc) should threaten to stop supporting Israeli governments? If the view is that to do so now would mean that Israeli government would lash out. Well they have been using controlled violence against Palestinians in occupied territories. Gaza is effectively been under harsh military occupation for years. Whilst this was going on international community did not put any real pressure on Israeli governments.

The Israeli peace activist I posted about earlier said best way to support Israelis is for is to say no to this government. Which means not cutting off water and electricity and sending in troop's.

Another thing if the view is that Hamas should be destroyed militarily then reminded of Rashid Khalidi ( historian). saying if they go something else will take its place. The Palestinians aren't going away.

Don't think it's helpful to look at this recent events as leading to genocide. Imo it's better to see what's been happening to Palestinians as ethnic cleansing.
i don't think you can say they're simply being shunted off the land - which seems to be the bare minimum on offer - when in the course of bumping the palestinians out of gaza city thousands of people are likely to die without being bombed or shot, starvation and thirst if nothing more will do for them. plus the bumping is also going to involve the death of many thousands of palestinians. i don't suppose the zionists would mind a bit of genocide anyway

Did I say it was the same? No. I said it was a genocide. If you don’t think that’s what it is then why not?

Yes you said that Israel is "reenacting with Palestinians the genocide that was perpetrated on Jews".

You didn't simply say it was genocide, but that it was a reenactment of a specific genocide i.e. the holocaust. If that's not what you meant why use that phrasing?

Warning civilians to evacuate before attacking is something that doesn't even happen in most wars, so I'm not sure it's suggestive of the holocaust. But Jewish people are doing it so go off I guess.
So you wouldn't mind if someone destroyed your home town, as long as you were given a warning to evacuate in 24 hours? To where would you move the patients in your local hospital?

Yes you said that Israel is "reenacting with Palestinians the genocide that was perpetrated on Jews".

You didn't simply say it was genocide, but that it was a reenactment of a specific genocide i.e. the holocaust. If that's not what you meant why use that phrasing?
It was clumsy phrasing, I will agree. However, even as phrased, it doesn’t refer to a literal copy of the same act, in the same way that an abuser reenacting their childhood abuse will not literally copy each element of that abuse play-by-play. The reenactment of trauma refers to reproducing any of the actions, behaviours or relationship patterns associated with that trauma in subsequent situations or relationships. The argument (not my argument, I’m just noting that the argument exists) would be that for the Israelis to visit genocide on this low-power group that they have at their mercy is very much of the same pattern as what the Jews experienced at the hands of the Nazis.

It was clumsy phrasing, I will agree. However, even as phrased, it doesn’t refer to a literal copy of the same act, in the same way that an abuser reenacting their childhood abuse will not literally copy each element of that abuse play-by-play. The reenactment of trauma refers to reproducing any of the actions, behaviours or relationship patterns associated with that trauma in subsequent situations or relationships. The argument (not my argument, I’m just noting that the argument exists) would be that for the Israelis to visit genocide on this low-power group that they have at their mercy is very much of the same pattern as what the Jews experienced at the hands of the Nazis.

I suppose that sort of clumsy phrasing is inevitable when you try to shoehorn in that-thing-that-you-just-learned-in-psychology-class into a discussion on war.

the zionists have explicitly compared recent events to the holocaust, referring among other things to babi yar

I don't have any problems with Jews understanding traumatic experiences in terms of their historical trauma. There was an activist/holocaust survivor called Hajo Meyer who wrote a book comparing Israel to Nazi Germany in the 30's. Applying his personal experience to current events - I think that's fine as well even if it may be historically questionable. Or you could make academic comparisons. I did leave a caveat of context in there.

I think if its a "you of all people" style argument or what Kabbes is doing here with a psychological theory about Israeli aggression then that's a different case. You're messing around with Jewish historical trauma. Probably just don't do that.

Back
Top Bottom