Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hamas/Israel conflict: news and discussion

Watching Owen Jones last night. He had piece of the hypocrisy of support for Ukraine versus Gaza.

Statement from President Joe Biden on Russia’s Aerial Assault on Ukraine | The White House.

. Strikes reportedly hit a maternity hospital, a shopping mall, and residential areas—killing innocent people and injuring dozens more. It is a stark reminder to the world that, after nearly two years of this devastating war, Putin’s objective remains unchanged. He seeks to obliterate Ukraine and subjugate its people. He must be stopped.

He wasn't saying this is wrong thing to say about Ukraine attack its that the gulf between the way Ukraine is talked about in mainstream west politics versus the way Gaza is.

Peston seems to have changed his tune:

1704017725377.png

Link to the article in the sceenshot which is worth a read:

Saw this today..

Some IDF soldiers who were wounded have picked up fungal Infections through wounds. Ten soldiers so far. One has already died from this. The fungus has been detected in the soil in Gaza. It developed in the soil around sanitation plants and wastewater plants which were destroyed by Israel. So this fungus has developed in the waste in the soil.

There's a suggestion made on Israeli tv that the fungus was maybe in tunnels.

(Next the Israeli government will say the fungus was caused by Hamas.
Even the soil in Gaza is trying to fight against this genocidal occupation.)

I think it would be fairer to say they are victims of the bombing by their own side of vital civilian infrastructure, so a kind of karma.
The last few lines of my post was sarcasm ..

Of course..the IDF demolishing waste and sewage plants in Gaza has led to waste leeching into the soil for the past 2 months...providing a breeding ground for all sorts of diseases, fungal, bacterial and viral.

View attachment 406507

Of course things have changed since that video, Corbyn and the left have been defeated so there's no longer any need to label criticism of Israel as antisemitic :rolleyes:

If you see Hamas as being the enemy of the Palestinian people rather than their most recently elected representatives then this will colour your view.

Hmm, yeah, getting on for a couple of decades since they were elected.

But anyhoo, great bunch of lads.

View attachment 406507

"warns of incipient McCarthyism" says Peston, no doubt wearing a hot-dog suit and stood in a crash-damaged shop

I think it would be fairer to say they are victims of the bombing by their own side of vital civilian infrastructure, so a kind of karma.
If it's killed and incapacitated young Israeli soldiers. It will have done much worse to the general of Gaza, no karma for them, just another threat to their lives

It’s really sad to see the term “blood libel” used cynically for naked political aims.

I also found it sad to see on this thread that pointing out the recent huge increase in anti-semitic activity in this country (as Stephen Fry did) is somehow unsupportable, though.

That particular sudden bubbling of bile towards Fry caught me by surprise. I ‘d like to think that was just the usual urban resentment towards the middle class and middle brow and not something more sinister.

Maybe it’s because I see Hamas as being the enemy of the Palestinian people and it’s unclear to what degree that’s a shared notion. I see references to “both sidesing” and it seems to me like there are more than two “sides” here.

I’m rambling - hoping for a lasting peace soon. There are a lot of people in the disputed territories and also in Israel who don’t want to be enemies.
Where did I mention Fry?

Having read the whole news report it comes across as Biden wanting it to appear he's being tough with Israeli government. When he's doing no such thing in reality.
Agreed.

Also..the fact that Netanyahu's government is stating they don't trust Norway as an intermediary to host the tax money owed to the PA..in the mean time??? Netanyahu clearly does not trust anyone or any country outside of his own extreme right wing government.

View attachment 406507

Watched the video. So according to Peston it is anti semitic to say foundation of Israel was racist. I do not see how Nakba can be construed as anything else but an act of ethnic cleansing and therefore racist. As was not allowing those displaced to return to their homes. Even if one might argue there was a war and people were displaced. Not allowing them back, in some cases blowing up the Palestinian villages and handing over the stolen land to the Jewish National Fund after the foundation of Israel all points to deliberate exclusion of Arabs from the new Israeli state.

Im not sure whether he has changed his mind. He's still referring to "legitimate" debate and "reasonable" questions.

Here is another poll done in first week on November. Face to face cross section of Palestinians in Gaza and West Bank.

This was fourth week of the war, So a lot of people had been killed or displaced.

Support for Hamas was still high:

From the english language press release:

Palestinians were asked to assess the role of a list of relevant parties during the war. Findings reveal
that their assessments broadly fall into four categories

• Category 1: The most positively appraised of all actors were the Al Qassam Brigades, Islamic
Jihad, Al Aqsa Brigades, and Hamas.

• Category 2: Respondents were somewhat positive towards the Arab media, Hizballah, Russia, the
International Committee for the Red Cross (ICRC), China, Turkey, Iran, and Fateh.

• Category 3: Respondents were largely negative in their assessments of Egypt, Jordan, Western
media, the United Nations (UN), the European Union (EU), Saudi Arabia and the United Arab
Emirates.

• Category 4: Respondents were universally negative in assessing the role of the United States of
America (USA) and Israel.

75% say they want a unity Palestinian government after war. I take that to mean all factions included. Including Hamas.

So do Palestinians think Hamas are the enemy of Palestinian people?

Going on this no.

PDF of the press release.

Attachments

• Public Opinion Poll - Gaza War 2023.pdf
    261.6 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom