Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Grenfell Tower fire in North Kensington - news and discussion

I heard earlier of wheelchair users on the 18th floor! What the fuck is that about. You are not supposed to use lifts in the event of a fire so how is someone in a wheelchair supposed to get down 18 flights of stairs.:confused::(:mad:
Maybe they were resident there before becoming wheelchair bound & were never offered a different flat...?

I heard earlier of wheelchair users on the 18th floor! What the fuck is that about. You are not supposed to use lifts in the event of a fire so how is someone in a wheelchair supposed to get down 18 flights of stairs.:confused::(:mad:
18 flights understates the problem: 2 flights per floor in towerblocks. and 1 flight would present pretty insurmountable problems to someone in a wheelchair.

4134.jpg

The emergency services will also need help and support in the days to come, they will have witnessed truly appallings scenes.

STOP this gushing please!!! You are begininning to sound like Kay Burley!

I've seen fire safety videos where wheelchair users are just told to go into 'fire safety refuges' - stairwells - in the event of a fair, to wait for rescue. FFS! :mad:

Not sure what to usefully say really, just hope there aren't as many fatalities as there could be - and that any friends and relatives that fellow urbs might have there are safe. And that there's a reckoning if this really is about neglect and underspending. :(

I've seen fire safety videos where wheelchair users are just told to go into 'fire safety refuges' - stairwells - in the event of a fair, to wait for rescue. FFS! :mad:
there is a bridge between buildings at the second storey level connecting two blocks of avenue campus university. Staff training is that they are meant to get their disabled colleagues there (as its a 'safe zone') and then leave them there and go to your outside assembly point. Apparently everyone at the coffee breaks said that would never happen, they come with us to the assembly point if we have to carry them

where i lived the council said they would force entry to flats to ensure the safety inspection occurred.

Yeah, the place I lived said that, yet it took years to go through the courts for this to happen. Anyway, distractions. Fucked up night for people in the block. RIP and thoughts to those affected.

Sure but Ronan Point wasn't fire was it? The tightening of fire regs is a relatively modern thing as it is with other regulations. Why wasn't best practice followed? The same reason is so often isn't I I imagine. Best practice is often inconvenient and expensive. Unless obliged by building regs best practice is still often not followed. That's construction for you.
Sorry, at the moment I'm too angry to hold a rational discussion. More so after looking at the Grenfell Action Group blog. I'm going for a [long] walk.

there is a bridge between buildings at the second storey level connecting two blocks of avenue campus university. Staff training is that they are meant to get their disabled colleagues there (as its a 'safe zone') and then leave them there and go to your outside assembly point. Apparently everyone at the coffee breaks said that would never happen, they come with us to the assembly point if we have to carry them
some places have chairs which can go down stairs

Got this off the comments thread on this journal.ie story:

"Estate resident Ahmed Chellat has been told that his relatives are safe after they were told to stay in their 21st-floor flat with wet towels under the doors.
His sister, brother-in-law, and their two children were advised to stay in the flat and that help was on its way. He told ITV they were safe.
Here’s hoping others are saved."

here's hoping yes.

At least 6 people have died in massive fire at west London tower block

Last edited:

Amazing that still goes on, tbh. Where I work disabled colleagues have someone specifically designated to help them out if we have to evacuate, and our building isn't that high.

The fire is supposed to be contained in the flat it started. Even if it breaches that, the stairwell is additionally protected. Certainly enough time for firefighters to go up and bring wheelchair users down from the landings. There could also be evac chairs that people can use to take wheelchair users down flights of stairs. That's why fire safety videos tell wheelchair users to go to refuges, because it's a system that works.

Obviously if the building doesn't comply with the regulations, then all that goes out the window. :(

Just seen this:

Due to the engulfment of the inferno in Grenfell Tower, Latimer Road, W11 1TG, people have been left with no clothes, food and homes. Numbers of casualties are not confirmed.

HELP/ DROP OFF POINTS:

RUGBY PORTBELLO TRUST
221 Walmer Road,
W11 4EY

ST CLEMENT'S CHURCH
95 Sirdar Road,
W11 4EQ

TABERNACLE CHRISTIAN CENTRE
Jubilee House,
210 Latimer Road,
W10 6QY

Please share!

Just saw that 50 people have gone to hospital, mainly smoke inhalation, not surprisingly. Horrible though that is, it does suggest a lot of people actually getting out? Fingers crossed.

Sure but Ronan Point wasn't fire was it? The tightening of fire regs is a relatively modern thing as it is with other regulations. Why wasn't best practice followed? The same reason is so often isn't I I imagine. Best practice is often inconvenient and expensive. Unless obliged by building regs best practice is still often not followed. That's construction for you.
Irrespective of building regs the fire regs have been around for 12 years in their current form. There is no excuse for not having a suitable risk assessment and control measures in place.

The fire is supposed to be contained in the flat it started. Even if it breaches that, the stairwell is additionally protected. Certainly enough time for firefighters to go up and bring wheelchair users down from the landings. There could also be evac chairs that people can use to take wheelchair users down flights of stairs. That's why fire safety videos tell wheelchair users to go to refuges, because it's a system that works.

Obviously if the building doesn't comply with the regulations, then all that goes out the window. :(
Yeah and if you have no access to lifts, as is the case in a fire, it seems like the only plausible solution in a standard tower block. Always gets me though, the idea of just 'leaving people' perched up the stairs.

Just seen this:

Due to the engulfment of the inferno in Grenfell Tower, Latimer Road, W11 1TG, people have been left with no clothes, food and homes. Numbers of casualties are not confirmed.

HELP/ DROP OFF POINTS:

RUGBY PORTBELLO TRUST
221 Walmer Road,
W11 4EY

ST CLEMENT'S CHURCH
95 Sirdar Road,
W11 4EQ

TABERNACLE CHRISTIAN CENTRE
Jubilee House,
210 Latimer Road,
W10 6QY

Please share!

I read somewhere else (i think twitter) that they are now saying to wait until there are lists of what they actually want - I don't know.

Sure, internal fit-out was never my thing.

Is it criminal though? Is there a legal obligation? My block of flats doesn't have one and its pretty new (circa 2001). This is a lot bigger mind.
Legal obligation yes.

I'm wondering what we can do to help people in the other blocks managed by KCTMO. The residents must be utterly terrified.

I remember seeing a fire in a block at the end of my road when I was 6 or 7. It was contained in one flat but the family - a mum and her daughter - died. I saw a picture of the burnt out flat in the local paper and the same view from outside my house. I didn't live in a block but I was hugely affected. I spent the next 10 years or so obsessively checking the gap under my bedroom door after lights out for flickering orange light and thinking about how I could escape, before I could sleep at night.

How much worse for the poor people who have seen this and live in exactly the same conditions? :( :( How will they go home tonight or any night and not wonder whether they will wake up? Where can they go?

Back
Top Bottom